Graphics
Intel UHD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hello folks,

After OS X ML installed, it no longer see my external eSATA drives in multibay case. Only OS X Lion can natively see them through RocketRAID cards. When OS X Mountain Lion was released, all native kexts were removed. So I had to download kexts from Highpoint website and tried to install it. It did not work so well. It can't see my RocketRAID card and eSATA drives.

Ok, I would aternatively look for new card to work with OS X ML. Does anyone recommend which products would be work with Mountain Lion? How about 4 port eSATA/SAS card? How about ATTO SAS card?

Thanks!
Sword7

Good news!!

I discovered HighPointRR kexts in Mountain Lion and removed RR64XL kexts. I tried to reboot system and it happened nothing.

I analyzed kext contents and compared them with Lion's kexts. I found a discrepancy in HighPoint kexts. Missing kext is HighPointRR644.kext.
I had copied it from Lion into Mountain Lion. I reboot system with -v -f setting....

It finally recognizes RR644 card and all eSATA drives!!

Good news!!

I discovered HighPointRR kexts in Mountain Lion and removed RR64XL kexts. I tried to reboot system and it happened nothing.

I analyzed kext contents and compared them with Lion's kexts. I found a discrepancy in HighPoint kexts. Missing kext is HighPointRR644.kext.
I had copied it from Lion into Mountain Lion. I reboot system with -v -f setting....

Great, THANK YOU for this info!!!

It made my "HighPoint Rocket 622" work as well (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002VEYDUG/ref=pe_175190_21431760_cs_sce_dp_1), and the Port Multiplier function works as well. This is the card:
http://www.amazon.com/HighPoint-Rocket-eSATA-PCI-Express-Controller/dp/B002VEYDUG/
http://www.amazon.com/HighPoint-RocketRAID-622-PCI-Express-Controller/dp/B0034CQR8A/

Strangely, I never managed to make it work under Lion, four months ago, and had to buy another card.

So, to summarize, with the ML install, there are two kext files related to HighPoint SATA/eSATA cards:
- HighPointIOP.kext
- HighPointRR.kext

But under Lion, there were those two + this extra one:
- HighPointRR644.kext

So I copied HighPointRR644.kext from a Lion boot disk to my current desktop, then labelled it "Green" as a marker (a trick I like to do), then ran KextBeast which installed it for me. Now I can see it (in Green) in my Mountain Lion /S/L/E folder.

Then I rebooted, and my card is working! In System Information, it appears as "Marvell 88SE9123". Actually there are 8 identical lines "Marvell 88SE9123", with the last one having a sub-item named "MARVELL VIRTUALL". I guess all this is to reflect Port Multiplication.

Note: Port multiplication still does not work on the external eSATA port on my motherboard GA-Z77X-UP5 TH (Marvell 88SE9172)

[EDIT] Bad news! This is adding 1.5 minutes to my boot time (used to be around 30 seconds), loosing the advantage of the speediness of UEFI. There is now additional "Initializing...", followed by a black screen that takes forever... it seems to wait for a timeout. I hope I can workaround this.

Good news!!

There is a more easy way

Go to http://www.hptmac.com/product.php?_index=87&viewtype=download

1) Get the new driver.
2) Open RR64xL-Mac-v1.0.4-130320.dmg
3) Run uninstall
4) Launch the installation of the RR64xL driver

voilà !!

if it does not work you must run the "uninstall" of the 10.6 RR driver instead of the RR64xL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back