Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Lenovo Thinkpad T470, Clover
CPU
i5 7300
Graphics
HD620, 1920x1080
Hi there,

I've been doing my best to follow RehabMan's guide to install OSX 10.14.6 to my Thinkpad T470, with little success so far. The furthest I can get is half-way through the installation, to where OSX reports "15 minutes remaining" before rebooting. I don't see any error messages at this point because of the installation graphics.

These are my notes I made as I went along:

SPECS:

Lenovo T470 i5-7300, 16GB RAM, Samsung 512 GB NVMe SSD, touch screen, 1920x1080 display.

1. Starting with RehabMan guide “Booting the OS X Installer on Laptops…”
2. Using USB 2.0 32GB USB stick.
3. Create bootable USB using instructions (GPT). Using Mojave installer from Mac App Store, created on a real MacBook Pro 2013.
4. SourceForge latest Clover (5070) missing common drivers, so using one from https://cloverdb.com instead. Installed UEFI, drivers and theme.
5. Clover installation complete.
6. Downloaded and copied HPSPlus.efi to drivers folder.
7. Checking BIOS: Secure Boot is off, VT-d disabled, CSM enabled, fast boot disabled.
8. Installed latest kexts: FakeSMC, Lilu, WhateverGreen, USBInjectAll, VoodooPS2Controller, IntelMausiEthernet
9. Downloaded config.plist for Intel HD 620 from https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Clover-Laptop-Config and saved to EFI/CLOVER
10. Edited config.plist to uncomment Graphics/ig-platform-id key. String is currently 0x591b0000 - good for Intel HD620, I believe.
11. Edited config.plist to set Graphics/Inject/Intel to true.
12. DVMT-prealloc patch seems to be enabled in config.plist. Doing nothing more with it at present.
13. Eject USB and turn to target machine...
14. Booting from Mac install USB (not verbose). Shows black screen with white Apple logo, progress bar at approx 15%. Reaches installer screen. Erase HDD partition in Disk Utility to create new Mac OS Journaled partition with GUID. Install macOS. Installing Mojave. No progress seen. Reboots after less than one minute :(
15. Returned to Clover installer to add all remaining drivers as in guide. Adding DataHubDxe.efi and FSInject.efi. AppleImageLoader and AppleUISupport not present in Clover so found copies elsewhere. Not sure if they're needed or not, but trying to remain consistent with guide. Returning to target machine...
16. Booting from Mac install USB (not verbose). Shows black screen with white Apple logo, progress bar reaches approx 15%. Reaches installer screen. Erase HDD partition in Disk Utility to create new Mac OS Journaled partition with GUID. Install macOS. Installing Mojave. Progress bar to 2 minutes remaining (70%). Reboots to Clover boot loader (successfully, apparently).
17. Option to boot from HDD now present. Booting from HDD. Black screen with white Apple logo. Progress bar seen to "About 15 minutes remaining" (15%). Reboots :(
18. Again :(
19. In Clover boot loader, set ig-platform-id to 0x12345678 and verbose mode. "About 15 minutes remaining". Reboots :(
20. Back to config.plist. Changing InjectKexts to Yes. Set Graphics/ig-platform-id to 0x12345678.
21. OSX installer continues to reboot after booting from HDD and reaching "15 minutes left" in installation. :(

Aside from this, I have also tried the various "working" EFI folders for the T470 by various users on Github, also never getting past installation.

My EFI Folder is attached together with a few screenshots of the verbose boot prior to entering the installer page (black screen with Apple logo).

Grateful for any pointers here. I'm a long time Hackintosher with my X220 but with the T470 it's defeating me so far.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 306
  • 1.png
    1.png
    6.9 MB · Views: 227
  • 2.png
    2.png
    6.1 MB · Views: 212
  • 3.png
    3.png
    8.2 MB · Views: 260
  • 4.png
    4.png
    8.1 MB · Views: 200
  • 5.png
    5.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 191
try to install without aptioinputfix.efi, AppleimageLoader.efi, ApppleUISupport.efi. You don't need Lilu,Whatevergreen an intelmausiethernet in EFI/kexts/Other to install, put it in L/E after you reached the desktop.You don't need dart=0 as a bootflag if you disabled VT-d in Bios. Good luck

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips.

Turns out the problem was my NVMe drive. The Samsung PM981 that came with my T470 is incompatible and causes kernel panics. I bought a new one (a 1TB Adata XPG SX8200 Pro) and was able to install High Sierra and Mojave following Rehabman's guide, then using the T470 repo maintained by tluck.

I still have a few issues to solve - improving power management, ironing out some annoyances with the touchpad, enabling brightness control, and seeing if I can get a Dell DW1820A WLAN card to work (no luck so far), but otherwise it's pretty good.

@wriggler, how did you found out that the Samsung PM981 was causing kernel panics?, is it confirmed that the Samsung PM981 is incompatible (with Mojave?)?
I'm also having almost the same issues trying to install to a ThinkPad T470 like yours, but what could I do if I'm not able to buy a new hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back