Contribute
Register

Help required - Gigabyte GA Z97Z-UD3H Yosemite install - peripherals plugged in to USB prevent boot/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H LGA1150
CPU
Intel Core i5 4690K
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4600
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi

I have built a Hackintosh with the well recommended Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H m/b.

Specs:
  • Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H, Intel HD Graphics 4600 (on m/b)
  • Intel Core i5 4690K processor
  • 24GB DDR3 PC3 1600
  • 2 * 240GB SSD

Bios updated to V9.

I have OS X 10.10.5 installed on one SSD, and Win 7 on the other. Very credible Geekbench scores of 13000 (on OS X)

With just a keyboard and mouse plugged in to USB, everything seems OK. However, if other peripherals are plugged in before powering up, the power on self test / bios either is delayed by several minutes, or occasionally hangs altogether (before the BIOS logo is displayed), and will pause until the USB device is unplugged. Following BIOS, the system seems happy with any external USB plugged in. This is getting very tiresome having to rummage round the back of the machine disconnecting and replugging the peripherals each time booting or restarting.

I have tried the following as possible causes:

Exchanged motherboards. Same issue occurs on a second Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H.
Tested different PSU - no change Thought the issue may be related to power or the lack of it at the USB ports.
Flashed the BIOS to latest version (v9)
Used different USB ports. Same occurs for USB 2 and USB 3 (blue) ports.

Peripherals that cause the hang or delay include:
  • Apple Cinema Display (A1082) USB port (tried two separate Cinema displays, same occurs for both)
  • MoTu Midi Express 128 USB Midi interface.
  • Epson printer.

On a restart following use of the Windows disk, again the plugged in peripherals cause a delay in boot to bios, but this is not nearly as bad as the delay that happens from restarting from OS X Yosemite.

Rebooting from Win 7 causes delay, but at least a workable delay(15 seconds)
Rebooting from a restart of OS X from the Restart menu causes long delay (10 minutes +)
Restart from the sign on screen always seems to cause a permanent hang until peripheral is unplugged.

This behaviour suggests that there is some software setting that resets the port to a state that does not cause a hang up.

Is this a BIOS setting that is incorrect?
Incorrect drivers? I have not added the USB 3.0 Universal driver via Multibeast, and furthermore, the issue seems to be well before OS X loads.

Many thanks in advance

Dogstail

I have had exactly the same problem.

Having USB peripherals, especially ones that draw power , plugged in stop the system from booting.

This was on a Z97 Haswell build with an i5.

Any ideas, anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back