Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z87X-UD3H
CPU
3.5GHZ i7-4770K
Graphics
Intel HD 4600
Hello All!

My long-time build consisting of a GA-Z87X-UD3H motherboard and i7-4770K Haswell CPU unfortunately bit the dust. I began having power cycling issues and could no longer boot. The lights would come on, then immediately turn off and restart after less than a second, and I had a completely blank screen and I couldn't get to the BIOS. After troubleshooting, testing memory, clearing SMBIOS, testing the power supply - it came down to either a motherboard or CPU failure. After 7 years of easy use, incremental hardware upgrades, and numerous OSX updates...my baby was dead.

So I decided to take this opportunity to update my build with a new motherboard, CPU, and RAM. The new setup POST's and I can get into BIOS settings. My Clover boot screen comes up, with my previous boot drive visible and my High Sierra USB install drive is visible as well. However, I have begun running into issues.

1). I was hoping I could boot directly from my previous install drive. Failed. Screen is stuck on Apple logo, with no progress bar.
2). Decided to boot from previous High Sierra USB drive. Failed. Same issue - Screen stuck on Apple logo, no progress bar.

Below I will discuss my component list, BIOS settings, and verbose boot page.

Here are my build components:

Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-PLUS
CPU: Intel Core i5-10400 LGA1200 Model Number: BX8070110400
Memory: TeamGroup T-Force Delta RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200
GPU: Sapphire AMD RX-580 Pulse
Case: Fractal Design Define R4
Drives:
Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 500GB M.2 NVMe PCIe 3.0x4 (new install drive)
Samsung EVO 2.5" SSD 500GB (Previous install Drive)
2x Seagate 2TB HardDrive for audio-video storage and backups
Power Supply: SeaSonic SSR-650RM 650W Modular
Random Bits:
ASUS 24X DVD - CD-R 32X CD-RW Burner
TP-LINK WIFI PCI Express Adapter
IOGEAR Bluetooth 4.0 Micro Adapter USB
Various Fans
Using stock CPU cooler, I'm not overclocking.

BIOS SETTINGS:
For BIOS settings, I referenced GeraldB's build, using the same motherboard:

Copied from his build post:
These are the BIOS settings I have used:

Disable
  • Fast Boot
  • CSM
  • Set the secure boot config to Other OS
  • Serial/COM Port (not present)
  • VT-d (left it enabled you can set DisableIoMapper in OC to Yes - but even that isn't needed)
  • Thunderbolt (not in use)
  • Intel Software Guard Extensions (SGX - has no use in macOS)
  • SR-IOV (no use on macOS)
Enable
  • Intel (VMX) Virtualisation Technology (VT-x)
  • Intel SpeedStep
  • Intel Shift Technology
  • Above 4G decoding
  • Hyper-Threading
  • Execute Disable Bit
  • EHCI/XHCI Hand-off
  • OS type: UEFI Mode (Other OS under Secure Boot)
  • SATA Mode: AHCI
  • Graphics Configuration > PCIE only
After following this, here are the errors I received while trying to boot with verbose mode enabled. Note: I am trying to boot with RX-580 GPU. Could this be an issue?
PXL_20220327_053655970.jpgPXL_20220327_054247758.jpg

The verbose mode doesn't seem to tell me too much, to my knowledge. My pervious boot drive is working fine and was working beautifully in my previous build. My USB drive was created roughly 3 years ago, using UniBeast, it worked to clean install my previous system and I have used it several times to help friends recover/boot their iMac systems...so I'm nearly 100% certain my bootable drive and install drive are both working and error free.

A lot has changed since I built my first hackintosh. I'm seeing a lot of references to OpenCore...which I have zero experience with. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks to everyone.

Unfortunately your new system is based on Intel 10th generation hardware, and as such older versions of Clover (the version you used to boot High Sierra) won't work with your system. A switch to the OpenCore bootloader is necessary.

Although I have seen some people managing to install and run High Sierra on an Intel 10th generation system, it is not going to be easy and there may be issues (e.g. with USB) :

If you want to directly reuse your boot drive and install Unibeast USB, you should try to find a system with hardware similar to your older failed system.

Systems with Intel 10th generation hardware work best with MacOS Catalina and above. Real Apple Macs based on Intel 10th generation hardware (e.g. the discontinued 27" iMac released in August 2020) worked with MacOS Catalina and above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back