1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Centris
  2. Power Mac
  3. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've finally broken down and built my first Hackintosh - first home-built computer ever, actually -- and thanks to all the help on this forum, I've got a machine that's running pretty well overall. However, I've got flickering issues using HD4000 graphics (Safari Top Sites, full screen video, QuickTime movies embedded in web pages) -- and frankly, if I can solve them I can return the GeForce 650 TI graphics cards I've got on order.

Here's the hardware that I think matters for this problem:

• Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH motherboard
  • Core i7 3770K
  • 32GB Corsair Vengeance RAM

I did an installation of Mountain Lion 10.8.4 from a Mac App Store download, built with the latest UniBeast version. BIOS is configured as noted here; when I started getting freezes on boot after installing ML 10.8.4, I was able to identify the cause by going into verbose mode and Googling the IOBluetoothHCIControoler error to find this page and this one. As a result, I no longer have the AppleIntelHD*.kext files in /S/L/E at this point, but I can boot successfully.

After booting, I set up Mac OS X and then downloaded the latest MultiBeast as well as the most current (non-beta) Chimera. In MultiBeast, I applied Audio > RealTek 898; Disk > 3rd Party SATA and TRIM Enabler; Miscellaneous > FakeSMC Plugins; Network > Intel. I then installed the most recent Chimera version.

I've played with a few settings that have been suggested in other posts on this topics -- 32MB instead of 64MB of RAM for internal graphics; GraphicsEnabler set to both yes and no; different System Descriptors (iMac12,2; MacPro3,1; etc.) -- but nothing seems to result in any kind of change.

I would appreciate any help in troubleshooting this -- let me know what files or screenshots are necessary to help diagnose. Would also appreciate advice as to whether I should try to put at least the AppleIntelHD*.kext files back in /S/L/E.

Thanks again to everyone for this great resource!!

Neil

need to use proper system def for your build MacMini6,2 is for ivy mobo/cpu with i7 if u had to remove a kext its because u made a bad choice in multibeast and should do a fresh install. check out my trouble shooting guide http://pastebin.com/3qRSXvhm

...After booting, I set up Mac OS X and then downloaded the latest MultiBeast as well as the most current (non-beta) Chimera. In MultiBeast, I applied Audio > RealTek 898; Disk > 3rd Party SATA and TRIM Enabler; Miscellaneous > FakeSMC Plugins; Network > Intel. I then installed the most recent Chimera version...
Did you check the "User DSDT or DSDT-Free Installaton" box? See page 3 of the MultiBeast Features document that comes with the MultiBeast zip file.

need to use proper system def for your build MacMini6,2 is for ivy mobo/cpu with i7 if u had to remove a kext its because u made a bad choice in multibeast and should do a fresh install. check out my trouble shooting guide http://pastebin.com/3qRSXvhm

Thanks much -- I'll try this again, as it's entirely possible I missed something no matter how hard I've tried to stay "on the path" with the guides here. I'll take a look through your guide -- I think I've had anything "extra" disconnected during my installs, but I may have forgotten to keep the Bluetooth dongle out of the system.

A question -- is it "safe" to do a UniBeast/MultiBeast-based installation using the App Store download of OS X 10.8.4, or should I do something like 10.8.2 or 10.8.3? I can't say I've found too many guides using a 10.8.4 installer...perhaps that's part of the problem?

Cheers...Neil

Did you check the "User DSDT or DSDT-Free Installaton" box? See page 3 of the MultiBeast Features document that comes with the MultiBeast zip file.

I did make sure that I checked that off...but as I noted above, I've been using an OS X 10.8.4 App Store installer as the basis of my attempts to date -- do I need to use 10.8.2 or 10.8.3?

Cheers...Neil

hd4000 had support in 8.0 so no not an issue. if u have 64mb shared memory and have igfx set for gfx your set. some people have fixed the flickering by disabling xmp ram profile or it could be a bad stick of ram since igfx uses your ram also use MacMini6,2 sys def also hd4000 reqires u to set graphics mode to your max res check out my screenshot

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-07-14 at 4.42.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-14 at 4.42.23 PM.png
    85.5 KB · Views: 164
[SOLVED!!!] HD4000 Graphics Flickering on Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH

Thanks again to everyone for their help here -- my problem is basically resolved. I got the GeForce 650 Ti-based card I ordered and installed it, carefully following the guides. Everything worked like a charm, and I have no video issues. My Bluetooth is even more stable now -- I had huge problems keeping my Magic Trackpad connected before.

I think what happened is that I didn't properly boot into safe mode at some point during my install while using the built-in HD4000 graphics -- instead I moved a bunch of drivers out of the way until I got the system to boot. I was doomed to failure at that point. Instead, I should have booted into verbose and safe mode when things hung and gone into MultiBoot.

Huge thanks to those who responded to the thread -- you helped me realize what I did wrong.

For what it's worth -- the graphics card-based installation went nearly BUTTER-smooth! Only thing I forgot was to include the "GraphicsEnabler=No" flag in MultiBeast the first time I used it...but that only took a minute or so to realize and get corrected on a reboot!

Cheers...Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back