Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UD5H Gigabyte
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
GTX 670
I built a machine about 9 years ago ( see link to success post here ). It’s been a rockstar. It’s pretty much run non stop since. Only time I really turn it off is when I power down when I leave for an extended trip or when I swap out hardware.

A few weeks back, I came home from a trip and went to power it back up and the machine didn’t turn back on - the light on the motherboard never even lit. I ended up buying a new power supply. The original was a Corsair Enthusiast TX650M which is no longer available. So I got the Corsair RM650x instead. I took lots of pictures and slowly removed each former cable from the old power supply as I added the new ones.

Now that everything is wired back up, I turn the switch to the on position on the power supply, the light on the motherboard lights up, but when I push the power button on the tower, I hear a faint click in the power supply but nothing else. No power, no fans, nothing.

I’ve double checked each cable is seated as well as the ram.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be causing this?

Thanks in advance…

Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be causing this?
Could be the board that has failed. You'd have to do some diagnosis to determine what component of your build for certain. Is there a motherboard speaker you can attach to hear any post beep messages ?

Motherboards don't last forever. You can still get a new 10th gen Intel board and CPU and have macOS support for some more years. Some people are going back to Apple Macs because we don't know when Apple will completely abandon Intel versions of macOS.

Is there a motherboard speaker you can attach to hear any post beep messages ?
nope.... never gets that far power supply doesn't seem to turn on at all

nope.... never gets that far power supply doesn't seem to turn on at all
Does the new PSU have a tester included with it ? That way you can power it on without connecting to the board.

Last edited:
Your new Corsair PSU is a high quality model that is not likely to be bad OOB. It does have Silent fan mode so the fan won't spin even if it is working at a low power draw.
  • 100% Industrial-grade, 105°C rated Japanese capacitors ensure unwavering power and reliability.
  • Supports Modern Standby sleep mode for extremely fast wake-from-sleep times and better low-load efficiency.
  • Zero RPM fan mode for near-silent operation at low to medium loads.
Best thing to do would be to get a multi-meter and test it that way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back