Contribute
Register

Help! Real-world answers to GTX 1080 and Adobe CC compatibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS Z370 ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi)
CPU
i7 8700K
Graphics
Inno3D GTX 1080 TI iChill T4 Ultra
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Performa
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
  4. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

I´m currently researching to find the right parts for my Video editing machine update.
I want to build a machine that´s both fast and will work for the next 3-4 years without major updates, and most importantly: will give a significant performance boost over my current setup.

However, the more I read the more confused I get.
Mainly around the question of "which GPU to get".

My use/needs:
• I mainly use AE and PP, and mainly do 2K editing exporting in H264. Sometimes I have larger 4K projects/formats.
• I use Lumetri (in PP) and a few other filters that (as far as I know) use GPU when rendering.
• I don´t do a lot of Raytracing, altho I work in Element 3D with 3D models occasionally and also want that side covered.
• Also, I want my machine to be capable (meaning fast) for occasional gaming and general use (Photoshop, ID, Audio rec/editing etc)

Depending on which version of CC you use, there seems to be issues with GPU rendering.
Some claim that GPU rendering is not activated in AE and PP 2017/18, others claim that it CAN be activated by deleted some files in the program and/or adding your card to the well-known GPU text file - and others still say that you can use the GTX 1080s as "unsupported GPU" in the AE/PP pref panel.
Others still claim that their machine has gotten significantly slower after "upgrading" to a 1080 GPU.

I have also read tests from Pugetsystems that show significant boost when using both versions of the 1080.
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...017-GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti-11GB-Performance-912/

(Any comments on that article are appreciated)

Bottom line: I am confused.
And asking my local PC parts pusher or even NVIDIA themselves doesn´t yield anything but either "no idea" or some version of a politically correct corporate answer (i.e. "GTX cards are not recommended for video editing, get a Quadro card", "we dont support Hackintoshes" etc).

I know that my CPU of choice; the 8700K, is not Hackintosh friendly ATM, but there are successful builds out there, so I´m confident that both the Z300 MBs and the Coffee Lake CPUs will eventually work well in a Hackintosh setting.
And the GTX 1080s already seem to work well with those components.

So, what is my question?
Can anyone with video editing experience tell me exactly what to expect in terms of
• compatibility between the 1080 GPUs and Adobe CC 2017/18 (mainly PP and AE)
• If those compatibility issues can be resolved or not (i.e. can the GPUs be activated in CC 2017?)
• If the 1080 GPUs are actually giving any significant boost when working in PP/AE 2017/18

I just want a machine that kicks ass when it comes to video editing, and also works super well for general use.

Any input will be much appreciated, as I want to get this project launched ASAP.
Thanks a lot in advance :)

Hey @luke_s

Yes, I have actually finished my build using the components listed in my signature :)
It was a lot of work and frustration (mainly due to me taking shortcuts or not following directions closely enough), but everything is working fine - except wake/sleep. It cannot sleep.
Also, I still need to migrate files, install programs etc (doing a clean install instead of using HD from old Hackintosh) and then transferring the storage units (HDD/SSD) from old Hackintosh.
So right now I cannot share any real-world results or performance from my new machine.
I still need to set it up and try things out.

I´ll probably upload a revised guide based on the Glasgood/Pastrychef guides for beginners/ non-techies like myself :)
Please ask if you have any further questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back