i7-4790K
Graphics
GTX 960
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi everyone,

I built my hack back in 2015 and once teething problems sorted everything has been fine until now. (apart from sleep crashes etc. which I learnt to live with...

Specs
Gigabyte GA Z97 D3H
Intel i7 4790k
16GB DDR3-1333/1600
2GB EVGA GTX 960 SSC
Samsung SSD EVO 850 250gb

I think the problem started after I installed the 10.12.6 Security 002 update and I forgot to check for Nvidia web drivers - d'oh! schoolboy error i know...

Then I decided it maybe time to update to High Sierra - that's when the fun started! My sound didn't work on HDMI or native so eventually after trying all the other options I could find the VOODOOHDA worked.

I followed the guide on here to update without the new apple file system for Mojave and hit install - it got to the clover bootloader and wouldn't continue with the install and ever since the installer was stuck on the grey clover screen. Through trial and error I found I could go into the Z97-D3H MB's bootlist and worked out there were two entries for MACOSX and the lowest one down the list got me back to booting into Sierra and alls been ok until last night I decided I'd like to have a go at installing Mojave on a new SSD which Ive bought and a USB and made the multibeast installer on my trusty MBP late 2008 that's still going (which won't boot but id like to get the main system working first)

I had an intuition that the installer stuck in clover could be because its in Applications folder so I moved it and that seemed to have solved it with Sierra... But since I started preparing last night and downloaded Mojave I forgot to move it out of Applications folder so no booting this morning - also I cannot just boot into my recovery USB as it just goes to black screen and does nothing. I have found in the MB's bootlist if i choose the efi of recovery I think on my SSD, I can boot but no GPU obviously.

Even though I moved the Mojave installer from the Apps folder ion reboot it's still stuck on clover screen showing the installer first - also I had updated Clover to most recent version which the screen is now black yet the clover screen I always yet is the old grey one? it only goes to black when i can get it to load from the MB boot list but now none of the MACOSX boot options work.

So I'm thoroughly confused and had to walk away - before it got launched out the window

Sorry for the long post but wanted to give as much info as possible and any help gratefully appreciated! tbh ive stayed away from tinkering with it but this has got me used to mounting the EFI etc but im still a noob with clover etc

cheers!

I've solved one problem from this post which has removed the MacOSX installer from clover bootloader so very grateful to the OP and other for high Sierra fix.

Now I've just found what could be the reason for not being able to boot after clover update r4586 so I'm gonna try to sort it and see it it works....

There are no Mojave drivers for your GTX 960.

Thanks, yes I know but I've seen there are some workarounds? have you seen it be successful? Or is it best to stick with High Sierra if I can get the install working?

Or would I need to get an AMD Card? I assumed Nvidia best for hackintosh as that's what's recommended in the build guides?

Cheers

No drivers = No accelerated graphics.

No.

Yes.

Your choice.

Alternatively you could remove the GTX 960 and use your processor's integrated graphics.

OK thanks!

What would you need accelerated graphics for?

Sierra's been solid up until I tried to update so I may stick with it for now - once I have the will to have another go

it seems unlikely nvidia will release any Mojave drivers any time soon so do you think this means a lot of hackintosh will be stuck at High Sierra?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back