Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell 7573 (Opencore)
CPU
i7-8550U
Graphics
UHD 620
I'm attempting my first machine using Opencore, and I'm getting a panic trying to get to the installer. I think the pertinent line of the debug output is:
Fault CR2: 0x00000000ff7a0020, Error code: 0x0000000000000000, Fault CPU: 0x2, PL: 0, VF: 1

I can get to the Opencore boot menu, and then I select the Install Catalina option. After a few pages of boot log the system freezes. Screen picture of panic state:
20200414_132401.jpg

I've found a few threads with similar reports, but nothing seemed applicable to my situation. Any help is appreciated.

Specs:
  • Dell 7573 (1920x1080)
  • Core i7-8550U (Kaby Lake/Coffee Lake southbridge)
  • Intel integrated UHD 620
  • 16 GB RAM
  • SK hynix SC401 M.2 SATA 512GB
Versions:
  • Opencore 0.5.7 Debug
  • macOS 10.15.4::1 refresh
Base settings:
  • Using MacBookPro14,3 SMBios
  • AAPL,ig-platform-id=0000C087
  • device-id=C0870000

EFI and log file in .zip attachment.

Attachments

• EFI-Log.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 83
I experienced the same Page Fault as you have listed, after updating from OpenCore 0.5.7 to 0.5.8.

As my system is really plain vanilla I was really surprised to run into a kernel panic like this.

I had painstakingly gone through the differences.pdf and copied over the needed changes, and run the config.plist through the Sanity Checker, to verify that everything should be OK.

About 3 hours of bisecting the config.plist and the efi drivers, it turned out to be a simple editing error in my config.plist file.

Here is the offending snippet:

Code:
            <key>DisableIoMapper</key>
            <true/>
            <false/>
            <key>DisableRtcChecksum</key>
            <false/>

As you can see I made a mistake by adding the value of DisableIoMapper twice (with both true and false).

Surprisingly the Sanity Checker did not catch this, and actually said the "DisableIoMapper = Yes" as it is expected on my system.

But when OpenCore parses this it sees the value "false" and this results in a Page Fault when booting as my BIOS does not allow me to disable VT-D.

So running the Sanity Checker does not guarantee that you do not have plist format errors, so my advice is to go over your config.plist again, so ensure that the values are what you expect them to be.

I had actually tried to use the ProperTree tool is on my config.plist but I got the error 'OrderedDict' object has no attribute 'append' and could not load the file.

After I had resolved the problem, I found that this error was actually caused by the additional value, so if I had paid attention to this (not assuming it was an error of the ProperTree tool), I would have been spared all this investigation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back