Contribute
Register

Help On Install - Getting Kernel Panic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Adrian,

I have read your solution to the boot error with the 10.92 update. I have a system that I am getting ready to install but I am still gathering the materials. I wonder if my memory will give me problems. I have a Gigabyte B85m D3h motherboard and I have bought some memory. THis motherboard only uses 1333/1600 memory. I bought Gskill Ripjaws x 1866 memory when they were on sale 2 x 4 gb. I think that the memory will automatically downclock to 1600 when I put it in my motherboard. But do you think that this memory will give me problems when I go to install Mavericks and its updates? I will also try to run 2 more sticks of memory Gskill Ripjaws x 1600 2 x2 gb to fill my system to 12 gb total. Do you see this as a potential problem with compatibility? I am new to the Hackintosh thing and did not realize memory could give booting problems when I purchased my memory.

The problems that face us regarding Haswell and installed RAM seem to be facing people whether they run Windows, Linux or OS X. We are used to having issues to iron out and problems to solve as OS X can throw us curveballs at any moment.

There is a recognition that for us the mainly recommended Corsair memory in the past has been causing a greater number of problems. I have encountered users claiming problems with Gskill and other manufactures RAM also. The problem really manifested its self with the introduction of 10.9.2 and 'deedbeef' messages appearing in kernel panics.

The advice that we are using is to try to use memory that has been tested and approved for the motherboard that you wish to use - in theory at least this should be less prone to issues.
The memory support list is here (link is in orange text)
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4567#dl

I your Ivy Bridge build uses different RAM then you can try that if you run into problems - you also have a second machine that you can create the basic installation on before transferring over to the new hardware.

To date the issues have only been in the installation process - we need to keep an eye on this to see if what is a relatively small problem either evolves or becomes more of a wider issue. At present I would say that it should not be a widespread long term issue based on the information that we have to date.

Adrian B

Dear Adrian B,

Thanks for the reply. My motherboard is a Haswell type motherboard B85 chipset. ARe you saying that I will get this Kernel panic if I try to install Mavericks with 9.1 and 0.2 built in? I plan to install Mavericks without the updates first then do the updates separately. Will I be able to avoid the Kernel panics this way? I am referring to the Kernel panics caused by memory running at 1600 and timings 9 9 9 24.

Just one more question regarding the install. Do I have to have a DVD drive plugged in when I install? I also read that you should just have a USB keyboard plugged in and not the mouse plugged in until you get to the installer. Is this true?

Misscomp

Dear Adrian B,

Thanks for the reply. My motherboard is a Haswell type motherboard B85 chipset. ARe you saying that I will get this Kernel panic if I try to install Mavericks with 9.1 and 0.2 built in? I plan to install Mavericks without the updates first then do the updates separately. Will I be able to avoid the Kernel panics this way? I am referring to the Kernel panics caused by memory running at 1600 and timings 9 9 9 24.

The vast majority of people are having no problem using Haswell hardware and Gskill RAM. If you were to run into a problem than you know of a number of things to try to circumnavigate the issue during installation. There is no known issue once the installation has been completed. I do not think you need to worry about this. Corsair RAM seems to be noted as being the most problematic.

Just one more question regarding the install. Do I have to have a DVD drive plugged in when I install? I also read that you should just have a USB keyboard plugged in and not the mouse plugged in until you get to the installer. Is this true?

You only need the DVD option if you are using iBoot and Snow Leopard to get you started. If you can create the Mavericks USB flash drive then a DVD drive will not be required for installation.
Most but not all USB keyboards work. Plug then into a USB 2 port that is close to the PS/2 socket. You can plug a mouse in either to the keyboard or again into a socket that is close the the PS/2 socket.

Adrian B

Dear Adrian B,

Sorry to belabor the point but I am new to Hackintosh. I will install Mavericks with only one stick of 2 gb ddr 3 1600 that is on my motherboard memory list. I know that this stick is compatible. Once I get the OS installed and running I will add the 8 gb (2 x 4 gb) sticks that I am not sure will work because they are rated at 1866. Does this sound like a good plan to you.

I will have one usb keyboard and mouse plugged in in the slots that you recommeded. No DVD. Do I have to change the XMP profile to profile 1 or leave in optimized BIos setting? I have read from people who have used this motherboard that no boot flags are needed. So i should be able to go straight to the installed screen without issuing boot flags. I am using integrated video. I will also check that IGFX is on. How about the IHCI setting? Can I turn to "enable"?

Misscomp

Dear Adrian B,

Sorry to belabor the point but I am new to Hackintosh. I will install Mavericks with only one stick of 2 gb ddr 3 1600 that is on my motherboard memory list. I know that this stick is compatible. Once I get the OS installed and running I will add the 8 gb (2 x 4 gb) sticks that I am not sure will work because they are rated at 1866. Does this sound like a good plan to you.

I would not purchase different RAM at this stage as your RAM will probably be fine. The motherboard B85 chipset and CPU will both limit the RAM to a maximum of 1600MHz without you doing anything. Either use the standard RAM settings or Profile 1 as is listed in the 10.9 guide. Since 10.9.2 came out I (and others) have found that the standard setting is best.

I will have one usb keyboard and mouse plugged in in the slots that you recommeded. No DVD. Do I have to change the XMP profile to profile 1 or leave in optimized BIos setting? I have read from people who have used this motherboard that no boot flags are needed. So i should be able to go straight to the installed screen without issuing boot flags. I am using integrated video. I will also check that IGFX is on. How about the IHCI setting? Can I turn to "enable"?

I have used the standard optimised setting for my RAM and Geekbench now correctly reports the speed as 1600MHz. OS X has always seen it as 1600MHz.
Your mileage may vary with the boot flag info. Try with out first and see how you get on. I don't need any flags either, but some people do.

Use integrated graphics and 64mb memory with a digital cable to your monitor.

IHCI - Do you keen AHCI? AHCI is set automatically with Gigabyte Haswell boards.

Adrian B

Dear Adrian B,

Sorry I meant XHCI. This is the controller that allows you to change settings of the USB3 ports. I have read that you can put it to enable, or auto. For Hackintosh you want this to enable is this true? I just want to get all my settings correct because I want the install to go as smoothly as possible.

Misscomp

Dear Adrian B,

Sorry I meant XHCI. This is the controller that allows you to change settings of the USB3 ports. I have read that you can put it to enable, or auto. For Hackintosh you want this to enable is this true? I just want to get all my settings correct because I want the install to go as smoothly as possible.

Misscomp

I think I have seen people say Auto, Smart Auto and enable (probably across different boards). Go with what you think is correct based on what you have read - you can always make changes post installation to test your USB 3 devices. I do not have any USB 3 devices to test. This setting should not have a detrimental effect on the installation process. You can test what works best for you using benchmarking software like Blackmagic speed test:
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/blackmagic-disk-speed-test/id425264550?mt=12

You can learn a great deal by reading and making changes to your system, trying different things can be rewarding and your ability/understanding improves.:thumbup:

Adrian B

Dear Adrian B,

I have read in other posts that there may be a boot0 error. Is this due to the hard drive. I will be using a Kingston 120 gb ssd. It is the Hyper X higher end model. Do you think I will encounter a boot0 error?

I noticed that your system you have an ati 5570 graphics card. Do you know if I can get an ati 6450 card to work OOB without any kexts? I may purchase a xeon 1230 v3 cpu which does not have integrated graphics. I have not purchased a cpu for my Hackintosh at this time.

thanks again,

Misscomp

Dear Adrian B,

I have read in other posts that there may be a boot0 error. Is this due to the hard drive. I will be using a Kingston 120 gb ssd. It is the Hyper X higher end model. Do you think I will encounter a boot0 error?

The Boot0 error is described in the official guide, the only time that you are likely to get a Boot0 error with an SSD is if the boot loader becomes corrupted which is an extremely rare occurrence.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/25-boot0-error-official-guide.html

I noticed that your system you have an ati 5570 graphics card. Do you know if I can get an ati 6450 card to work OOB without any kexts? I may purchase a xeon 1230 v3 cpu which does not have integrated graphics. I have not purchased a cpu for my Hackintosh at this time.

I cannot offer any guarantee on using a 6450 card. The drivers/kexts are in OS X, however some additional work may be needed to get it to function correctly or even to get into UEFI/BIOS. The XEON 1230 v3 works, but has no integrated graphics and is supplied without a cooler/fan. We recommend that those that are new to running OS X on PC hardware use one of the listed CPUs in the buyers guide to make the process simpler. Its completely your choice as to what you purchase but 6450 are below the quality of the integrated graphics on the Haswell i3, i5 & i7 range of consumer processors.

Useful links:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/420-building-customac-buyer-s-guide-april-2014.html#cpus
http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...-right-now-hierarchy-chart-toms-hardware.html
http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...graphics-cards-framebuffer-personalities.html

Adrian B

Dear Adrian,

You are right. I may buy something like the 4570 quadcore to make things simpler since I am new.

I have question regarding graphics. You said I will set the integrated graphics to 64 mg for the install. Once installed will Mavericks automatically set the integrated graphics memory to 1 gb? Will Mavericks automatically detect my monitor resolution? I will be using a Dell ultrasharp 20 inch monitor which runs at 1600 x 1200 using the DVI connection.

thanks again,
Misscomp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back