Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
This is my first hackintosh build. So I'm a total noob at this.

Computer Parts

GA-H81M-HD3
i3-4330
Corsair 2x2GB DDR3-1333 (CMV4GX3M2A133)
WD Black 500GB WD5003AZEX
Rosewill FBM-01

I have made all the recommended BIOS changes. Used optimised defaults and IGFX. Vt-d is greyed out for some reason. I only have 1 stick of Ram installed and I've tried the different ram slots to see if I could cure the panic. I can get to the grey apple screen to start the install, but then I get the attached kernel panic and the system is locked up. Any ideas on why I'm getting this Kernel Panic?

Thanks.
photo (1).jpg

Just to add some more info. I tried re-downloading Mavericks from the App store and created a fresh UniBeast drive with the new download. Also have tried both DVI and HDMI, and still getting the same Kernel Panic. When trying the install with the boot flag -v I get the kernel panic below.
photo (2).jpg

This is my first hackintosh build. So I'm a total noob at this.

Computer Parts

GA-H81M-HD3
i3-4330
Corsair 2x2GB DDR3-1333 (CMV4GX3M2A133)
WD Black 500GB WD5003AZEX
Rosewill FBM-01

I have made all the recommended BIOS changes. Used optimised defaults and IGFX. Vt-d is greyed out for some reason. I only have 1 stick of Ram installed and I've tried the different ram slots to see if I could cure the panic. I can get to the grey apple screen to start the install, but then I get the attached kernel panic and the system is locked up. Any ideas on why I'm getting this Kernel Panic?

Thanks.
View attachment 89515

I have had this same kernel panic myself back at the end of February using the new OS X 10.9.2 downloaded from the MAS. I was lucky as although I did a check on line and found nothing I had a second installation that I was able to boot into. This let me run MultiBeast and aim the MB installation at the newly problematic installation. I had no problem after that and the installation still works fine - no problems at all and certainly no kernel panics.

I assume that you will not have a second drive to hand which you will be able to do this with. Here is what is known about this problem and how we know of getting around the issue.

Thanks to TonyMac for the following information:

The Problem:
Kernel panic on first USB boot to OS X installer using UniBeast + OS X 10.9.2 Mavericks. Prevents boot. This bug is most prevalent on Haswell systems using 1600Mhz RAM 9-9-9-24 1.50v. 10.9.2

Error message:
a freed zone has been modified: expected 0xdeadbeefdeadbeef and found 0xdeadbeef....
and/or
removeSymbol com.jetico.kext.

Solution 1:
Remove all but 1 RAM module for the entire installation process. When the install is done, you can put all of the other modules back. Re-install the rest of the RAM after you have used MultiBeast.

Solution 2:
Use a bootflag to get to installer without kernel panic:

For motherboards with 16GB (8GB + 8GB)

Code:
maxmem=8192

For motherboards with 8GB (4GB + 4GB)

Code:
maxmem=4096

For motherboards with 4GB (2GB+2GB)

Code:
maxmem=2048

Hope this helps- it is new in 10.9.2, and may or may not be fixed in later versions of OS X.

Good Luck -please post back feedback on your findings.:thumbup:

Adrian B

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for the reply.

I tried the boot flag of maxmem=2048 with only 1 stick of ram, and I still get the same Kernel Panic. Do you have any other ideas? Do you think my ram might be bad? I'm getting really frustrated. Any other help you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for the reply.

I tried the boot flag of maxmem=2048 with only 1 stick of ram, and I still get the same Kernel Panic. Do you have any other ideas? Do you think my ram might be bad? I'm getting really frustrated. Any other help you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

My understanding is that you should try on or thee other solution. If you had one stick of RAM during the complete process then in theory and according to the limited information that is available at present - it should have worked.

If you are able to try different compatible DDR3 RAM then I would do so. Try friends, neighbours, family etc to see if you can do this without buying new RAM. Try to run your RAM at 1333MHz in the UEFI/BIOS if at all possible.

It might be worth partitioning your HDD into two partitions. One very small 20GB partition and a second 480GB partition. Try reinstalling to both partitions. Make sure that you name them clearly.

This thread has someone who partitioned HFS+ and used the boot flags -v -x. You can try this on the small partition first.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...intel-hd4600-ga-h87m-dh3-intel-i3-4330-a.html

This is all a bit trial and error I am afraid - there is no certain magic solution. We might see 10.9.3 being made available later today or later this week. This may offer some relief of the issue.

Keep your spirits up and document your findings.

Adrian B

OK,

Here is an update. I have been conducting some testing using a freshly made UniBeast flash drive with 10.9.2

On my first attempt at setting this up I got the Apple logo and the spinner - was unable to pass this with a couple of attempts.

I removed both 4GB sticks of Corsair RAM and swapped for the Crutial Ballistix sport RAM from my Ivy Bridge build. Booting with both sticks did not work. I removed a single stick and again got the same error as above. moved single stick to slot closest to CPU cooler and made Memory changes in the UEFI/BIOS.

I disabled the Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) setting, saved and exited UEFI/BIOS and successfully booted to the installer to complete the installation - short on time right now so did not complete the setup installation. I can now get there however.:thumbup:

Disable EMP.jpg
Click to enlarge image.

I can do more testing later, but must get on with other things for a while.

Adrian B

OK,

Here is an update. I have been conducting some testing using a freshly made UniBeast flash drive with 10.9.2

On my first attempt at setting this up I got the Apple logo and the spinner - was unable to pass this with a couple of attempts.

I removed both 4GB sticks of Corsair RAM and swapped for the Crutial Ballistix sport RAM from my Ivy Bridge build. Booting with both sticks did not work. I removed a single stick and again got the same error as above. moved single stick to slot closest to CPU cooler and made Memory changes in the UEFI/BIOS.

I disabled the Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) setting, saved and exited UEFI/BIOS and successfully booted to the installer to complete the installation - short on time right now so did not complete the setup installation. I can now get there however.:thumbup:

I can do more testing later, but must get on with other things for a while.

Adrian B
Hi Adrian,

Thanks for all the help! I really appreciate it. I was ready to give up on it, but I picked up some Crucial Ballistix Sport XT (BLS2C4G3D169DS3) placed it in the spot closes to cpu and didn't change bios. Got a different Kernel Panic. Went into BIOS, saw XMP was disabled and tried to boot. No Kernel Panic, but got to the dark grey screen and it froze. Tried again with boot flags -x -v and are now at the installer with 20 min remaining on the install.

I think my Corsair ram was either bad or not compatible.

I'll report back either way if I'm successful or not.

Just as an update, I have the system up and running. Ran into some issues with the boot0 error, but method 1 was able to fix it for me. I'd like to thank everyone for their help. I've just ordered the recommended build for CustoMac Mini, so build 2 will happen soon!

Dear Adrian,

I have read your solution to the boot error with the 10.92 update. I have a system that I am getting ready to install but I am still gathering the materials. I wonder if my memory will give me problems. I have a Gigabyte B85m D3h motherboard and I have bought some memory. THis motherboard only uses 1333/1600 memory. I bought Gskill Ripjaws x 1866 memory when they were on sale 2 x 4 gb. I think that the memory will automatically downclock to 1600 when I put it in my motherboard. But do you think that this memory will give me problems when I go to install Mavericks and its updates? I will also try to run 2 more sticks of memory Gskill Ripjaws x 1600 2 x2 gb to fill my system to 12 gb total. Do you see this as a potential problem with compatibility? I am new to the Hackintosh thing and did not realize memory could give booting problems when I purchased my memory.

Thanks,

Misscomp.

Here is a copy of your post that I am referring to:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back