Contribute
Register

Help On Install - Getting Kernel Panic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Adrian,

You are right. I may buy something like the 4570 quadcore to make things simpler since I am new.

I have question regarding graphics. You said I will set the integrated graphics to 64 mg for the install. Once installed will Mavericks automatically set the integrated graphics memory to 1 gb?

I don't know the precise details of how this works, but assume that it is the minimum memory allocation that the UEFI/BIOS allocates for the onboard GPU. The current settings are a maximum of 1024 MB, It has been reported in the press that in 10.9.3 that there is to be support for 60Hz 4K video with a maximum of approx 1500 MB of memory. Most usage will be well below 500 MB in truth but there is allowance for additional if required.

Will Mavericks automatically detect my monitor resolution? I will be using a Dell ultrasharp 20 inch monitor which runs at 1600 x 1200 using the DVI connection.

It will detect your monitor but for onboard graphics you should add some text to your .org.chameleonboot.plist
http://www.tonymacx86.com/basics/104463-how-edit-plist.html

Code:
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>"1600x1200x32"</string>

Adrian B

Dear Adrian B,

Can I try any usb type keyboard or mouse during the Mavericks install? Are there certain ones that work best? I don't have any apple products in the house other than my cellphone.

THanks again,

Misscomp

Dear Adrian B,

Can I try any usb type keyboard or mouse during the Mavericks install? Are there certain ones that work best? I don't have any apple products in the house other than my cellphone.

THanks again,

Misscomp

The genuine Apple keyboards work very well, they are not the cheapest to purchase but I do not begrudge purchasing any of my Apple keyboards - I love the full sized keyboard, but also have a wireless keyboard too. A PC keyboard that is modern and has a USB rather than PS/2 connector should work. A note of caution as they do not all work - try a cheap one to see how you get on if you like, if you then want one with a better feel about it or want an Apple compatible keyboard then see the buyers guide for some options under accessories.

I have a number of Logitech mice, but Microsoft stuff is surprisingly well supported in OS X. Kensington is another brand that seems to work well. Have a look at the Apple website for likely brands that should work well - cheaper offerings from these companies often also work well.

Adrian B

Dear Adrian B,

Lets say I get a haswell quadcore and install Mavericks on my B85 gigabyte motherboard. Do you think I will be able to install a new OSX in 2019, five years from now? Looks like Mavericks is Ok with chipsets going back to 2007. Nothing is guaranteed I suspect.

If I don't have to use boot flags with Mavericks will this mean that I will not have to use boot flags on future installs?

Misscomp

Dear Adrian B,

Lets say I get a haswell quadcore and install Mavericks on my B85 gigabyte motherboard. Do you think I will be able to install a new OSX in 2019, five years from now? Looks like Mavericks is Ok with chipsets going back to 2007. Nothing is guaranteed I suspect.

If I don't have to use boot flags with Mavericks will this mean that I will not have to use boot flags on future installs?

Misscomp

I think that there is a good chance that you may well be able to install the latest version of OS X in 5 years time, but lets just say that you cannot for a minute. That wouldn't stop the computer functioning on a third or fourth generation version of OS X.

Officially socket 775 is not able to be downloaded onto this hardware - Apple prevent it - presumably there are some things that they are not happy about or perhaps they feel this is a point that they feel they should draw the line with operating system upgradability.

The thing is many users have Mavericks working on this hardware by creating the Installer USB flash drive on a compatible machine - I have successfully tried this on two socket 775 machines.

Like you say the future is not in any way guaranteed but the few pointers that we do have don't make the picture a bad on at all.

Adrian B

Dear Adrian B,

If I do buy the xeon 1230 v3 and install Mavericks I may get the Nvidia EVGA 640 since I have been reading that people have been able to get this model running out of the box. Does that mean that during the install all I have to do is to put GraphicsEnablerYes flag? And some additional install with Multibeast as well?

Misscomp

Dear Adrian B,

If I do buy the xeon 1230 v3 and install Mavericks I may get the Nvidia EVGA 640 since I have been reading that people have been able to get this model running out of the box. Does that mean that during the install all I have to do is to put GraphicsEnablerYes flag? And some additional install with Multibeast as well?

For Mavericks the NVIDIA GT640 uses GraphicsEnabler=No
http://www.tonymacx86.com/basics/116220-do-i-need-graphicsenabler-injection-not.html

Its set up as the default setting , so you should in theory not need to add any boot flags. You will need to follow the 10.9 guide and set up the UEFI/BIOS to boot from the GPU rather than internal graphics. Set up for defaults first.

For MultiBeast use DSDT free, add your ethernet & Audio codec (Realtek ALCxx/without DSDT)

Using boot flags is actually very easy - there is nothing to be scared of - just apply logic and use the 10.9 guide plus read and under stand the links that I give you.

http://www.youtube.com/user/deanwrayUK will give you a basic introduction/ theory with boot flags with OS X. Don't over think this installation, once you have some background information add some practical experience.

Adrian B

Dear Adrian B

Thanks for the link to the youtube Videos by Dean Wray. Very informative. they take some time to go over though. I am also going over the builds put together by other users to prepare.

Can you tell me how much space a Mavericks installation takes? 20-30 gigabytes when all the updates are all done?

thanks,

Misscomp

Dear Adrian B

Thanks for the link to the youtube Videos by Dean Wray. Very informative. they take some time to go over though. I am also going over the builds put together by other users to prepare.

I used the videos before my first build as I felt a little confused over the application of boot flags. I found that they helped me understand better. In truth there is not a great deal of requirement to use a great deal of boot flags for most people, however an idea of how you apply these is handy to understand. Like many things in life the best way of learning is practical hands on experience after you have learned some of the theory.

Boot flags are nothing to worry about.

Can you tell me how much space a Mavericks installation takes? 20-30 gigabytes when all the updates are all done?

The installation of Mavericks is less than 8GB. Incremental updates tend to replace new update data and remove the old data. Mavericks therefore does not grow in size capacity like many imagine it might.

Adrian B

So I am also using a H81M-HD3 and I have also seen a kernel panic on my screen. I have a detailed description in this link. I commented here hopeful that someone will see this as I am in need of help :(.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back