Motherboard
Dell E6230
CPU
i7 3GHz i7
Graphics
HD4000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
So I tried to get a laptop board in a 20” iMac G5 case. It’s an ultrabook type and very slim. I managed to get a spot for it. I was able to get like 75% completed. So came the big major test. When powering up I could not get it to display via HDMI output. After some painstaking trial and error, I figured out that the HDMI out will not work without the actual laptop display connected. If this was common knowledge for laptops boards, stupid me. So I’m asking if anyone has an idea in this major road block I face. The iMac G5 display connector my understand is TMDS type. My laptop display connector is a 30 pin LVDS. It seems to correspond to pic I’ve attached. So here are the questions:
Can I just wire the laptop connector wires directly to iMac display connector? My understanding from reading is, It’s not easy. Can some wiring be done to the connector to make look like its connected? Any links, experience, suggestions would be helpful. Thank in advance for any help.

Attachments

• Q06215961-4-1.jpg
    Q06215961-4-1.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:
Can I just wire the laptop connector wires directly to iMac display connector? My understanding from reading is, It’s not easy. Can some wiring be done to the connector to make look like its connected? Any links, experience, suggestions would be helpful. Thank in advance for any help.

In short words: No.
TMDS is compatibe to DVI/HDMI but not to LVDS.
You should use the boards HDMI output for the iMac's TMDS display. Wiring diagrams are on the forum.

Best regards,
Jascha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back