Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Help, no xhc controller or AppleUSBXHCI.kext loaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Q77
CPU
i3-3225
Graphics
HD4000
Hi, all:

In my system, I have no xhc controller or AppleUSBXHCI.kext loaded. So my usb ports all work as usb2.0 including usb3.0 ports.

So, How can I get my usb3 controller back?

I have an old computer(DELL 7010). Computer configuration are as follows:
  1. MatherBoard: Q77
  2. CPU:i3-3225 (HD4000)
For details see attach file : AIDA64-report.txt

I installed 10.14.4 in my computer, everything goes well (in order to reduce the problem, no wifi, bluetooth, video card or other not necessary device) but usb3.0. When I'm using SSDT-UIAC-ALL.aml, I got all usb ports work as usb2.0, without that some usb ports not work. Many guides say that using USBInjectAll.kext and patching the "disable port limit patch" all usb2 and usb3 should worked, and then create a custom your DSDT to disable the usb ports never used ... But I‘m unable to continue because I have no XHC controller, no AppleUSBXHCI.kext loaded.

While this is good for work. I still want more quick when copying large files.

BIOS settings about USB3:

The tree shown in IORegistryExplorer:

Attachments

• AIDA64-report.txt
    26.5 KB · Views: 115
  • QQ20190422-0.jpg
    QQ20190422-0.jpg
    744.5 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:
Hi, all:

In my system, I have no xhc controller or AppleUSBXHCI.kext loaded. So my usb ports all work as usb2.0 including usb3.0 ports.

View attachment 401042

View attachment 401043

So, How can I get my usb3 controller back?

I have an old computer(DELL 7010). Computer configuration are as follows:
  1. MatherBoard: Q77
  2. CPU:i3-3225 (HD4000)
For details see attach file : AIDA64-report.txt

I installed 10.14.4 in my computer, everything goes well (in order to reduce the problem, no wifi, bluetooth, video card or other not necessary device) but usb3.0. When I'm using SSDT-UIAC-ALL.aml, I got all usb ports work as usb2.0, without that some usb ports not work. Many Guides say that using USBInjectAll.kext and patching the Disable port limit patch all usb2 and usb3 should worked, and then create a custom your DSDT to disable the usb port never used ... But I‘m unable to continue because I have no XHC controller, no AppleUSBXHCI.kext loaded.

While this is good for work. I still want more quick when copying large files.

Hello.

1) Check your Dell BIOS to ensure XHCI Hand-off is Enabled.

2) Run IORegistryExplorer to show where on the tree your EHC controller is. Check if there is also an XHC etc.

Let us know.

:)

Hello.

1) Check your Dell BIOS to ensure XHCI Hand-off is Enabled.

2) Run IORegistryExplorer to show where on the tree your EHC controller is. Check if there is also an XHC etc.

Let us know.

Thank you for your reply, I have updated the post and added some additional images about BIOS settings and IORegistryExplorer tree.

1. As picture shown, “Enable USB3.0 ports” option is checked in BIOS.
2. In IORegistryExplorer tree, only EH01 and EH02, no XHC found. And I wonder what device pci8086,150@0 is.

Thank you for your reply, I have updated the post and added some additional images about BIOS settings and IORegistryExplorer tree.

1. As picture shown, “Enable USB3.0 ports” option is checked in BIOS.
2. In IORegistryExplorer tree, only EH01 and EH02, no XHC found. And I wonder what device pci8086,150@0 is.

Okay.

In macOS you need to see an XHC controller in the IORegistry tree for USB3 to be available. EHC is for USB2 only, and this is what your EH01 and EH02 controllers are.

One of our moderators - @trs96 - has written an excellent guide on how to configure a Dell 7010. If you check it out you will find all you need to get this machine, and its USB3, fully working. There are even pre-built SSDTs at the end for you to use to configure USB :thumbup:

@OpenOpen
There are even pre-built SSDTs at the end for you to use to configure USB
The Optiplex 7010 and 9010 models are just under the 15 port limit. 2 front and 2 rear USB 3.0 ports and 2 front and 4 rear USB 2.0 which equals 14 USB, 8 that function as dual HS/SS ports and 6 that are solely HS ports. None need to be excluded. If you have the USFF or SFF form factor there aren't any internal USB 2.0 headers. DT and MT have one. The attached USB-SSDT works for any of the 4 form factors.

Initially the USB ports were a major headache. They would "check out" during the install of macOS and wouldn't even work. So we used techniques from the laptops forum, mainly UEFI hot patching via Clover instead of patching the DSDT. The config.plist and SSDTs will fix all of the ACPI problems for these pre-builts. It's all figured out, all renames and patches are done for you, just follow the guide and everything works. The guide uses USB Injectall kext. That is mandatory. We made the change from the original system definition iMac 13,2 to Mac mini 6,2 the Late 2102 Mac mini. 13,2 added to the USB issues. We disabled ESEL, XSEL, XWAK which are known to cause USB problems, wrong routing etc.
The config.plist /DSDT/Patches
  • change ESEL to ESEZ
  • change XSEL to XSEZ
  • change XWAK to ZWAK
We disabled the native calls to them and we also used SSDT-ESEL, SSDT-XSEL, SSDT-XWAK to make these methods do nothing (return nothing/return 0). That was primarily what was causing all the USB mess with these machines. As I've mentioned in that guide, follow it verbatim, start with a clean install if you've already attempted other approaches. It's as close as you can get to a 100% working system as long as a native Wifi/BT card is used.

Last edited:
@OpenOpen

The Optiplex 7010 and 9010 models are just under the 15 port limit. 2 front and 2 rear USB 3.0 ports and 2 front and 4 rear USB 2.0 which equals 14 USB, 8 that function as dual HS/SS ports and 6 that are solely HS ports. None need to be excluded. If you have the USFF or SFF form factor there aren't any internal USB 2.0 headers. DT and MT have one. The attached USB-SSDT works for any of the 4 form factors.

Initially the USB ports were a major headache. They would "check out" during the install of macOS and wouldn't even work. So we used techniques from the laptops forum, mainly UEFI hot patching via Clover instead of patching the DSDT. The config.plist and SSDTs will fix all of the ACPI problems for these pre-builts. It's all figured out, all renames and patches are done for you, just follow the guide and everything works. The guide uses USB Injectall kext. That is mandatory. We made the change from the original system definition iMac 13,2 to Mac mini 6,2 the Late 2102 Mac mini. 13,2 added to the USB issues. We disabled ESEL, XSEL, XWAK which are known to cause USB problems, wrong routing etc.
The config.plist /DSDT/Patches
  • change ESEL to ESEZ
  • change XSEL to XSEZ
  • change XWAK to ZWAK
We disabled the native calls to them and we also used SSDT-ESEL, SSDT-XSEL, SSDT-XWAK to make these methods do nothing (return nothing/return 0). That was primarily what was causing all the USB mess with these machines. As I've mentioned in that guide, follow it verbatim, start with a clean install if you've already attempted other approaches. It's as close as you can get to a 100% working system as long as a native Wifi/BT card is used.

I appreciate your help, your guide is very detailed. I followed it verbatim and finally my USB3 come back. Everything is fine.

Actually, I didn’t start a clean install and update my BIOS due to I’m still working on this computer. I have read your guide carefully, and make my system close to yours. In the end all USB port work well including usb3. Thank you again.

Okay.

In macOS you need to see an XHC controller in the IORegistry tree for USB3 to be available. EHC is for USB2 only, and this is what your EH01 and EH02 controllers are.

One of our moderators - @trs96 - has written an excellent guide on how to configure a Dell 7010. If you check it out you will find all you need to get this machine, and its USB3, fully working. There are even pre-built SSDTs at the end for you to use to configure USB :thumbup:

My USB3 now work! :clap:. Thank you show me the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back