Contribute
Register

Help Needed: USB 3.0 behavior + Via Labs VL811 USB3 hub chip (GA-z77x-ud5h rev. 1.1 mobo)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UD5H rev1.1 F16j
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
(SOLVED) USB 3.0 behavior + Via Labs VL811 USB3 hub chip (GA-z77x-ud5h rev. 1.1 mobo)

SOLVED (See last post)

As far as I know my questions do not pertain to the GA-z77x-ud5h rev. 1.0 mobo as it uses the Via Labs VL810 USB hub contoller
chip. Also as of 2 weeks ago I am new to all of this and have only used Macs before.

I just want to gather info on the VL811 Superspeed USB Hub Controller behavior. I think I might have permanently screwed up my mobo (VL811 firmware flashing disclosure below), or the Apple USBxHCI.kext USB3 implementation isn't mature yet (more below). If someone knowledgeable could confirm or dispel my findings it would help greatly.

(Attached photos are with numbers. Photo 0: my VL811 chip on the mobo)
0. VL811 Chip.JPG

The symptom:
I am having difficulty getting the USB3 ports on the rear of the GA-z77x-ud5h rev. 1.1 mobo to behave properly (at least they way I think they should, but, I have never had USB3 before and only have one external HDD to test with). With a lot of finagling I have gotten my USB3 connectivity on the entire machine to a place where I can stop testing it and start using it, but, thought I'd ask here in case there's anything I've overlooked. It seems to me there isn't a lot of current info on USB 3.0 and the VL811 chip as it is new on the z77x-ud5h Rev 1.1 board. Even on this page it isn't even listed:
http://legacy.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=64999 so maybe I am just :banghead:

The real problem is:
in OS 10.8.2 after a reboot, USB3 devices on the rear USB3/2 ports (blue connectors, VL811 hub controller chip) do not automatically mount. Only USB2 devices automatically mount after booting. Is this normal for the USB3 driver available on this mobo?
According to "Apple System Information" (ASI):

USB3 Host Controller Driver: AppleUSBXHCI (kext v1.4.0)
USB2 Host Controller Driver: AppleUSBEHCI (kext v5.4.0) (both inside IOUSBFAMILY)

Is this as simple as I need a different driver? Maybe a newer AppleUSBXHCI.kext exists in an update from one of the iMacs or MBPs with on-board USB3?

My build:
i7 3770k
GA-z77x-ud5h rev. 1.1 BIOS F14
2x8GB LP Vengence RAM
GTX 470 (GE=YES)
250 Samsung 840 SSD
2TB Seagate (3 partitions: BU CustoMac boot 10.8.2, Mac storage, Win 7 64-bit boot (GUIDw/ NTFS)
15X Internal Bluray burner Pioneer BDR-208DBK (works!)
ML 10.8.2 from the app store. Fresh install as of last week.

BIOS v.F14 "Load Optimized defaults" except:
Internal CPU PLL Overvoltage Disabled -made USB drives not mysteriously unmount,
XMP: Profile1 -for the LP Veng 1600 RAM to run at @1600 1.5volts
Boot Option#1: P0: Samsung 840 SSD
xHCI Pre-Bot Driver: Enabled (default)
xHCI Mode: Auto (default)
xHCI Handoff: Enabled (default)
EHCI Handoff: Enabled
Wake on LAN: Disabled
Soft-off by PWR-BTTN: Delay 4 seconds

Mobo specs: http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4440&dl=1#dl

As I understand it from Multibeast 5.2.1 the patched LaCie and Caldigitdrivers are not for this mobo/processor combo (z77x/i7 series) at all. I tried them out of desperation and found indeed they don't work. I am using my back up boot drive and CCC to "rollback" any drivers I install (Is there a better way?)

I tried some known good kexts that the OSx86 forum said had USB3 working: IOUSBFamily.kext v5.0.0 and it came with a 2nd IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext v3.5.0 from 2870-DP3 (10.7.3?) and while my USB 3 device would mount after booting they were running at USB 2 speeds. I didn't try to add the PXHCD.kext they recommended as I don't have a NEC(Renesas) hub controller on this mobo. After seeing all of this didn't work I decided it is old info for my build.

This Mobo comes with a USB3 header cable and 2 USB3 ports for the front case panel. There is a discussion and diagram here:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/buying-ad...h-new-recycled-parts-proposed.html#post512267
how the different headers on the mobo are controlled either by the native Intel or VL811 chip on Rev. 1.1 (or VL810 chip on Rev. 1.0 version of this mobo)

This diagram look correct for the Rev 1.1 version:
I can confirm F_USB30_1 (up near the RAM slots) is working differently than on the rear blue connections (photo 1).

1. USB3 Drive on F_USB30_1 header.jpg

USB3 actually auto-mounts after boot! USB3 speeds + has no problems/is still present after a sleep/wake cycle, but no USB2 devices are recognized or even not scene by ASI). This is USB3 native intel support?

Whereas when the cable is plugged in to F_USB30_2 or F_USB30_3 headers or when I plug my USB3 HDD into the rear blue connectors my USB3 Hard drive will mount when hot plugged (machine already running) but not when machine is rebooted or cold booted.
Is this normal for USB3?
Is this normal for this mobo using the Via Labs 811 chip? :shifty:

Now to the VL811 chip. Mine had firmware: 83E1 out-of the box according to ASI or the windows flashing program I used (can't remember). According to here:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...nside-ga-z77x-ud5h-usb3-problem-under-ml.html
There is new firmware out for the VL811 chip.
link: http://via-labs.com/en/support/downloads.jsp#firmware

I created a windows partition, installed Win7 64-bit, all Gigabyte drivers, got the Win7 device manager to see all the USB hubs(photo 1.5) and ran the updater. I got this Failure screen (Photo 2)

2. Failed to get FW file IMG_3488.jpg1.5 USB Hubs Win7 Device Manager IMG_3483.jpg

I then tried another VL811 hub updater I found elsewhere on the internet (yes, I was getting desperate to make this work!) and it worked (Photo 3). After powering down and pulling the cord. I rebooted and had something I wasn't expecting (Photo 4)

4. windows 7 error IMG_3492.jpg3. FW update success IMG_3490.jpg

I also have 2 USB ports more than before and the Win7 device manager shows warning symbols around them. I am a noob in windows so I left it alone. I ran the FW 9.83 tool (Photo 5) and then one of the earlier flashing tools (FW version 9.72) for the VL811 chip and got this message that my FW is newer than what it can flash (Photo5.5)

5.5 an even older flashing tool  IMG_3502.jpg5. still cant find FW IMG_3499.jpg

So whatever firmware I ended up with I guess is above 9.72?
Did I screw my mobo? I can still exchange it in the next few days. Like I want to have to do that at all: :crazy:

(EDIT 2/28: I tried all the steps above again a day later in Win7 32-bit and had the exact same results. That VL811 updater that can't find the FW file reacted exacly the same in 32-bit. I DID END UP EXCHANGING THE MOBO! I CANNOT RECOMMEND USING THE FW FLASHER I FOUND! You have been warned!)

Booted back in OS 10.8.2 all my USB ports are recognized, On the rear blue ports the USB 3 speed is there when my USB3 HDD is mounted and it feels reliable, just no auto mounting after a reboot. Also USB2 devices mount on the blue ports and remount after a reboot. (Photo 6)

6. USB3 on rear mobo blue port.jpg

Today I thought I'd try to undo what I did yesterday by reflashing the F14 BIOS in Win7 64 bit. Noob here, thinking that would reflash the VL811 chip. No change, the BIOS flash did not roll back the VL811 chip firmware. I re-ran the FW updaters and got the same messages as yesterday messages (Photos 5 & 5.5). I don't think there is anyway to roll back the FW flash I did. What do you think? Advice please….

1. swap my mobo for a new one with the old FW on it, or,
2. is there another AppleXHCI.kext to try? My current .kext is v 1.4.0 (Photo 7)
3. or is this the best any of us can get right now with USB3 on the Mac or the HackMac?

7. 10.8.2 My AppleUSBXHCI version.jpg

Ref: real macs with USB 3.0:
iMac 13,1 (late 2012)
iMac 13,2
MacBook Pro 10,1
MacBook Pro 10,2

Many Thanks in advance!!!!! TonyMac rules: :headbang:

How's your USB 3.0 on cold boot with GA-z77x-ud5h rev. 1.1 mobo ????

OK, maybe my post has got too much info in it for anyone to digest. I'll try a simpler one in a day or so.

In the meantime I found evidence on the web that maybe my USB 3.0 is working pretty well...compared to others:

"
The chips are fine. It's the drivers that are deficient." from
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...sbxhci-from-os-1082/page__st__20#entry1883445
The OP has put up (and updates) a patched driver that I will try next time I am at the same location as my custoMac.

Discussion about Intel Panter Point USB 3.0 I think that's what we have on the F_USB30_1 header up by the RAM.
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...sbxhci-from-os-1082/page__st__20#entry1885577

The state of USB 3.0 on the Mac:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1501482
Post #2 " Apple's support for USB 3.0 is limited to the USB ports integrated into Intel's latest chipsets." I think this references Intel's Pantehr Point (?). and reveals why my 2 different behaviors exists.

I would like to hear from anyone with the z77x-ud5h rev. 1.1 mobo:

How is your USB 3.0 is working on a cold boot or reboot.?
Does your USB 3.0 (front or back) auto mount?

hey bud,
I have a similar situation on my UP5 TH. It looks like gigabyte silently updated the baord and the new ones have the 811 and not the 810 hub. I am not convinced that the hubs need updating as 83.e1 sounds like it could be a version of the 9.83 firmware. (for reference the old 810 hubs usually shipped with "3.76" firnware and after applying the via update tool for what thay call 0.96 it would show up as "3.96". So 83.e1 could be a version of the 0.9'83' firmware.

In any case it bothers me that i cant use the new update tool on VIA's site to flash the latest firmware, i get the same error as you about the "fail to get" firmware file. One thing i will say is that my usb 3.0 devices mount on boot. So i am not having the problem. Have you tried playing with the settings such as turning off the usb 3 preboot driver in bios?

Where did you get the updater that worked on your hubs? It seems possible to use that updater and replace the bin file with the one from via's site.

g\

(SOLVED) Help Needed: USB 3.0 behavior + Via Labs VL811 USB3 hub chip (GA-z77x-ud5h rev. 1.1 mobo)

Bro, thanks for your reply.

I am hesitant to say where I got that flashing FW app from because it was from an external hub vendor which contains the VL811 chip. There was a warning to not install it on anything but the manufacturers own external hub product. I stupidly went ahead anyway. I DO NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE ELSE USE THAT FLASHING TOOL (I ended up having to exchange the mobo!)

It left me with firmware 06.c2, which essentially made that no USB3 device connected to a VL811 hub (rear blue ports and F_USB30_2 & F_USB30_3 on the mobo) was available at boot. But they did always mount when hot plugged. I should also add that I only own one USB3 device to test: a Toshiba 3.0 TB HDD I use for my TimeMachine Back-ups. Basically I want it to always be available no matter which port it's plugged into.

The whole reason I went down that path was that my USB3 HDD was sometimes disappearing for no reason off my desktop (unmounting itself). After running the unsupported flashing tool from that hub manufacturer, I couldn't believe it when it happened again after the new FW flash.

Long time Mac user, new to the Hackintosh, I wasn't sure how much odd behavior should be tolerated on the USB 3 buss. I reasearched it a lot in the last few days and it seems Apple has chosen to only use Intel chipsets in the few real Macs that have USB 3. Also that the AppleUSBXHCI.kext in 10.8.2 is not functioning the the USB3 spec compliance as it should according to here:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...sbxhci-from-os-1082/page__st__20#entry1883406
A few posts down and he says it's not the chip but rather the AppleUSBXHCI.kext that is deficient. Which make sense as Windows7 is making my the windows test partition on my USB3 drive work perfectly. I guess Apple needs more time to refine their driver as they move USB3 into the rest of their product line. I tried all the kexts in that post on my VL811 chip w/ FW 6.c2 (hub FW) and had no change. Then in Windows7 I ran all the updates, tried all the updated drivers from Gigiabyte and couldn't get rid of the yellow triangles in the device manager, so I ruled out the software and decided to exchange the hardware.

More good info here:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/lion-desk...te-uefi-motherboards-xhci-mode-explained.html

SOLVED:

Turns out in the BIOS I needed to Disable "Int. CPU PLL Overvoltage" which is buried under "MIT/Adv. Freq. Settings/Adv. CPU Core Features". The Default was Auto. After that my USB 3 drive never unmounted itself off the desktop again. For some reason that made the USB3 device more reliable. Since I had already flashed the FW and couldn't get it to update to anything else, I didn't know how it would have been had I not flashed and just disabled "Int. CPU PLL Overvoltage".

Yesterday I realized my last chance to swap the mobo at the store was last night by 9 PM at MicroCenter (luckily close by), so after a lot of testing in Windows 7 and a call to tech support (who said to bring it back) I bit the bullet and dug the mobo out and went to the store, exchanged it, got the new one installed (Rev. 1.1 board with the VL811 chip, FW 83.e1 from the factory on it), set up my BIOS again with the PLL Overvoltage disabled and must admit, the USB3 buss is working pretty well.

At the store I also bought a USB3 8GB flash drive (MicroTech branded) and that thing mounted every time: cold-, re-boot, or manual sleep. No problem what so ever. My USB3 HDD on the other hand seem to not be able to auto mount some of the time on a cold boot. I tried many permutations and combinations and finally gave up, thinking the only reliable port for this device is the front mounted USB3 ports from Gigabyte plugged into the Intel header at F_USB30_1.

I left the drive plugged into the rear blue USB3 ports overnight and today it is mounting at cold start like everything is fine. I am not sure why, but , I hope it lasts. As a TimeMachine drive, it's nice if it's always there and nicer, that it's so fast. :thumbup:

Also I gotta say, the fact that I could walk in to a brick & mortar store and exchange a mobo after having used it for 15 days, no questions asked, just rocks. Props to MicroCenter, I can't say enough good things about them. I tried to tell them it had a USB3 problem and the clerk just said, it has to go back to the manufacturer to be checked. He had no questions for me. Didn't even ask if I'd used a static strap (which I did). Anyway, I am sold MicroCenter rocks (except they don't always carry the latest boards, -no UP5 TH, just the UP4 TH which I read should be avoided, and no LP Vengence RAM)).

I can also say after all this that setting up the UD5H rev. 1.1 was really quite easy, I just happened screw it up myself, not knowing any better.

The firmware update is for external hubs only, I believe.

In any case, yes I agree avoid the FW update software, at all costs, for UD5h.

Nice write up AREHEP on post #117

http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-bu...2gb-ram-gigabyte-gtx-650-a-12.html#post583313

"
The reason that guy bricked his MB is that he flashed the hub with VL 811.
Should have been VL 810. so be careful if you decide to do it.....

...UPDATE I bought my Z77X-UP5 TH (same USB VIA chipset as Z77X-UD5H)"
-Only the UD5H rev. 1.0 had the VL810 chip as far as I know it.

I am that guy and my rev 1.1 UD5H mobo DOES have the VL811 chip. I was trying to use the correct FW for the VL811 chip. The reason I bricked it was that the V811 updater didn't work (see my long ass post with screenshots for the reasons). In desperation I found an external hub
manufacturer's FW update for an EXTERNAL hub that contained the VL811 chip and crossed my fingers and used it. I posted about it so that others would not go down that path.

I do not know why the VL811 Via updater didn't work on my UD5H rev.1.1 mobo. But after some more experience and buying a 2nd USB 3 device, I have learned that the drive (Toshiba Canovio 3 TB USB3) I was using to test USB 3 is flaky in general on USB 3 (found reports on the web). My 2nd USB 3 device (Microcenter USB3 flash drive) works great even when the Toshiba Canovio fails to mount. So the UD5H rev 1.1 may have the up to date FW on it and that's why the updater fails.
:crazy:

In any event don't use any 3rd party FW updater on your VL811 chip! Dooh! :banghead:

Nice write up AREHEP on post #117

http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-bu...2gb-ram-gigabyte-gtx-650-a-12.html#post583313

"
The reason that guy bricked his MB is that he flashed the hub with VL 811.
Should have been VL 810. so be careful if you decide to do it.....

...UPDATE I bought my Z77X-UP5 TH (same USB VIA chipset as Z77X-UD5H)"
-Only the UD5H rev. 1.0 had the VL810 chip as far as I know it.

I am that guy and my rev 1.1 UD5H mobo DOES have the VL811 chip. I was trying to use the correct FW for the VL811 chip. The reason I bricked it was that the V811 updater didn't work (see my long ass post with screenshots for the reasons). In desperation I found an external hub
manufacturer's FW update for an EXTERNAL hub that contained the VL811 chip and crossed my fingers and used it. I posted about it so that others would not go down that path.

I do not know why the VL811 Via updater didn't work on my UD5H rev.1.1 mobo. But after some more experience and buying a 2nd USB 3 device, I have learned that the drive (Toshiba Canovio 3 TB USB3) I was using to test USB 3 is flaky in general on USB 3 (found reports on the web). My 2nd USB 3 device (Microcenter USB3 flash drive) works great even when the Toshiba Canovio fails to mount. So the UD5H rev 1.1 may have the up to date FW on it and that's why the updater fails.
:crazy:

In any event don't use any 3rd party FW updater on your VL811 chip! Dooh! :banghead:

Cfreak i totally missed that it was an external hub manufacturer you got that FW updater from.
My mistake
And acording to the foto of your chip i must admit that you are right that the Z77X-UD5H rev.1.1 is using the VL 811 chipset.
I'm very sorry and i was not trying to offend you.
I'll make corrections to my posts about this issue as it could be a catastrophe if someone flash with the wrong version.
Once again sorry and thanks for your info.

I,ve also posted this in Ultrazone's thread

Here’s a guide how to update/flash the Via Labs. USB3 hub.

This is only for GA-Z77X-UD5H rev.1.0/1.1 and GA-Z77X-UP5-TH

If it's the GA-Z77X-UD5H rev 1.1 version you have to use the VL811 FW Updater.

It can only be done from Windows (i did it from Windows 7 x64 but the x86 version will work as well)

Install the latest chipset and usb3 drivers from Gigabyte (important)

If the tool dos'nt work with your bios version then update/flash to the latest NON BETA BIOS.

GA-Z77X-UD5H (check if your MB is rev.1.0 or 1.1) (VL810 / VL811 chipset)

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/prod...px?pid=4440#ov

GA-Z77X-UP5-TH (VL810 chipset)

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4279 - dl

Download the FW Updater matching your MB/Rev.version from Via Labs.

http://www.via-labs.com/en/support/downloads.jsp

Disconnect any USB device connected to USB3 ports both the rear
and front.

Some have reported that you have to set Bios/Peripheral like this to get the tool working

6.jpg
(I’ve always used these settings so no problem for me)

Install/run the FW Updater.

After flashing the firmware it's very important that you power off your comp. and pull out the ac plug for at least one minute before you restart.

Boot into Windows and run the tool to check.

If it looks like this you have succesfully updated/flashed the USB3 hubs.

FW Updater.jpg
(GA-Z77X-UD5H rev.1.1 will look different)

Thanks to Cfreak for correcting my mistake regarding the rev. issue

Thanks for the write ups both Cfreak and arehep.

I too had tried to update my VL811 (Rev1.1) board but got the same error messages.

Looking at yours and my pictures of the chip to me it seems we have VL811+ (Or Plus) and not VL811 which is why I would assume the updates from the VIA site don't work but the one you found elsewhere did flash it as that does include 4 different bin files.

Apologies if you knew all this :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back