Graphics
5700XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I'm guessing Shilohh could probably help me the most but I would really appreciate some help from anyone on the forum.

It's been a while since I dealt with Hackintoshes and I had many good builds so I'm familiar with everything however I'm having troubles so I'm not sure what I"m missing and what the current state of things is.

For reference this is the config:

- ASUS Rampage Gene IV x79
- Nvidia GTX 780
- SupremeFX III audio (not sure what realtek chip is in there)
- AMI Bios

I saw your guide Shilohh about Rampage IV Black/Extreme and I followed it in creating the boot disk and everything with your files but I'm unable to get to the OSX Installer.

I've used Unibeast with Sierra option first, I was getting Still waiting for Root device.. so I switched to your Clover boot USB config and it's kernel panicking now on me.

Any new considerations and issues to consider. Is it even possible to install on this config. It's been a while so some guidance is definitely appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Another note I'm not getting kernel panic when I add cpus=1 option to your boot config options but I get Still waiting for root device again there too.

I'm stumped, can't get to the installer screen no matter what.

I only have 2 SSD drives connected to USB 6g ports the onboard one not the external controller ones and nothing else plugged in.

I get Still waiting for root device

"Still waiting for root device".
When installing this means that your USB flash drive cannot be found.
This is usually because the flash drive is in a USB3 port.
If this is the case move it to a USB2 port, if it is already in a USB2 port move it to another and try again.
Repeat until you have tried all USB ports.
If it still doesn't work you could try another flash drive.
You might also try enabling Legacy on your USB3 ports in your BIOS settings.

"Still waiting for root device".
When installing this means that your USB flash drive cannot be found.
This is usually because the flash drive is in a USB3 port.
If this is the case move it to a USB2 port, if it is already in a USB2 port move it to another and try again.
Repeat until you have tried all USB ports.
If it still doesn't work you could try another flash drive.
You might also try enabling Legacy on your USB3 ports in your BIOS settings.

I have tried 3 different USB sticks (a USB 2.0 one and the other 2 are USB 3.0 sticks).

I have tried every port including the USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports with always the same results.

I can see all kexts being loaded, it doesn't really crash and I'm not getting kernel panic, up until the moment when it loads almost everything from kexts and initial boot, and then gets stuck on "stick waiting for the root device" and screen will garble up sometimes.

So you are saying it's definitely USB? Should I just maybe try to install everything directly on SSD drive and try that way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back