Contribute
Register

[HELP NEEDED] Problem with Color Change on videos (h.264 and apple prores) after export from FCPX - Quicktime - Safari - Chrome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z170X-Gigabyte-UD5 TH
CPU
I7-6700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Hello to everyone,

I'm facing a problem for long time now with a very well known problem the color change on .mp4 and .mov (videos) files after exporting from FCPX or the videos that are screen recorded from QuickTime Player. Below in the images you will see an example of the problem:

Exported Video from Screen Capture in Apple Prores setting from FCPX:

Video on Youtube on Safari:

Video on Youtube on Chrome:

Video Played on QuickTime Player:

I have also tested the colors to an ipad, and other mac machines and the problem is still there from Safari. My exported videos have a gamma change (or color change) when viewed from a mac on quicktime player or safari.

The specs of my machine are:

Mojave 10.14.5
I7-6700K
AMD Radeon RX 580

If someone can help me solve this mystery that I'm trying to solve all this months and always give up I would be more than thankful!!

Thank you

Am i missing something?
I see four almost identical screenshots of the UI of some app without any content.

Ok, now i get it. I had to load the screenshots in PS to compare and notice the slight change in color.

Do you calibrate your screen? I had some issues in the past with even so slight colour casts and strikingly weird colors of some elements in some windows of some apps. The last problem was not consistent and was there or not.
Very hard to troubleshoot...

One thing i learned is that MacOS and "some Apple apps" do not support ICC-Profiles other than rather basic "Single curve + matrix" or "Single gamma + matrix".
Please see here:

Knowing this helped me get rid of my problems with the strange color rendering at times.

Is it possible that this is the case too on your side?
If you use an ICC-Profile for your screen that you created maybe just change it for some MacOS provided standard profile and see if the color change still persists.

Ok, now i get it. I had to load the screenshots in PS to compare and notice the slight change in color.

Do you calibrate your screen? I had some issues in the past with even so slight colour casts and strikingly weird colors of some elements in some windows of some apps. The last problem was not consistent and was there or not.
Very hard to troubleshoot...

One thing i learned is that MacOS and "some Apple apps" do not support ICC-Profiles other than rather basic "Single curve + matrix" or "Single gamma + matrix".
Please see here:

Knowing this helped me get rid of my problems with the strange color rendering at times.

Is it possible that this is the case too on your side?
If you use an ICC-Profile for your screen that you created maybe just change it for some MacOS provided standard profile and see if the color change still persists.
Thanks my friend, but not this didn't solve anything. I have tested all the standard Mac Profiles and calibrated ones and the problem is still there. Will see in the future if I can find a solution on this one ;)

That's unfortunate. :(
Hopefully you will find a solution or someone else here will have an idea.
Good luck!

export prores from fcpx and recompres to mp4 in handbrake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back