Contribute
Register

[HELP NEEDED] Problem with Color Change on videos (h.264 and apple prores) after export from FCPX - Quicktime - Safari - Chrome

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are right, my solution works on gamma change which i thought is the problem here. Also i assumed you are having problems with export from fcpx...but it seems more like a problem with color management / shift on recordings.

gamma change used to be very common on quicktime 7 and older OSes. I dont bump into it very often nowadays, usually when files originate on PCs, shouldnt happen on one local mac/hack machine. Im not saying its not happening for others but the plague has been in the past mostly so forget about many forums with that topic

gamma change is not color shift you are having though. gamma change would present as change in brightness and contrast (yes, in a way it can change color reproduction as secondary effect)

sadly you can only compare local viewing in fcpx and quicktime as you have no control over color transformations that are happening on various websites / applications / devices / you name it as nobody cares about proper color when they code
color management is a big mess, sadly, especially in online world

all i care about is that colors in viewer are close to colors in exported file, prefer to use IINA player as experience proved proper color management in macOS

also, viewer is only preview, for proper colors you really do need external viewing devices such as blackmagic, but i guess this not really falls in this problem

do the test with color bars and there you can actually see what happens to the picture looking at it through video scopes

in the end as one player does look ok and other doesnt, you cant really fix this from your point... color shifts and brightness/contrast changes on youtube/vimeo have been there for very long time due to processing/color transformations/color management of each individual player / processing / backend

wondering, first screenshot, how is it made? what are you viewing it with? i dont know about screen capture inside fcpx... maybe your capturing application adds some color profile which makes all the mess depending on the app

what i tried is to make screen capture with quicktime player and than when I view it with quicktime, there is the color shift but when viewing with IINA/vlc/mplayer, there isnt, try it ;)

seems like some bug that adds some color shift in QT, probably some problem with color transformations. Usually i dont have this problem with QT, maybe only happens with screen captures? QT and fcpx viewer usually show the same thing...

i would try different application for screen capture if the slight color shift is a problem for you. or import in fcpx, apply cc and export

i would think this is NOT a gamma change problem, those threads will not help you.

Last edited:
Hello to everyone,

I'm facing a problem for long time now with a very well known problem the color change on .mp4 and .mov (videos) files after exporting from FCPX or the videos that are screen recorded from QuickTime Player. Below in the images you will see an example of the problem:

Exported Video from Screen Capture in Apple Prores setting from FCPX:
View attachment 411073

Video on Youtube on Safari:
View attachment 411074

Video on Youtube on Chrome:
View attachment 411075

Video Played on QuickTime Player:
View attachment 411074

I have also tested the colors to an ipad, and other mac machines and the problem is still there from Safari. My exported videos have a gamma change (or color change) when viewed from a mac on quicktime player or safari.

The specs of my machine are:

Mojave 10.14.5
I7-6700K
AMD Radeon RX 580

If someone can help me solve this mystery that I'm trying to solve all this months and always give up I would be more than thankful!!

Thank you
Did you ever figure this out? I have the same set up and similar problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back