Graphics
nVidia GA-GV770GTX 2GB
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys, I know it's been a while since I was here, but I am exhausted.
Since 2 days I am trying to install Win8.1 and MacOSX on my (now not working) hackintosh.

I tried to follow this guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/96000-guide-dual-booting-mountain-lion-windows-8-a.html but 2 days trying out with no luck...

Well, since I need help I don't won't to displease you. I try to explain my issue:
First I had a working 10.9.3 and Win 7 on the same SSD with two partitions.
I am a student now and can get win8.1 for free so I thought to update my win7
I saved all my data and installed win8. It was no problem:
I formated the win7 partition and installed win8 (only using the win8 USB-Stick)
From here it got worse and worse and worse...
After win8 was installed I noticed I was not able to boot into Mavericks.
So I took my UNIBEAST drive and bootet osx.
I installed Chimera again and now i was able to boot into osx, but my win8 installation wasn't visible in chimera (Chameleon, too)

I decidet to make a clean install of both OS but I had no luck.
Regardless if I install Win8 first and then OSX or vice versa, either of them is not able to install.

Issue: I put in my UNIBEAST and partition my SSD as followed: GUID-Partition Table, half for OSX with HFS+, the other half for Windows (FAT).
Now I installed MacOSX like before without any issues. BUT: The partition which I reserved for windows is not usable in windows installer.
(Notice, after reading about 100 Posts in the web I disabeld UEFI completely, but it never helped in any way)
I got this 2 messages:
Code:
[FONT=century gothic][FONT=arial]Error: Windows cannot be installed to Disk 0 Partition 1 ( 2 or 3). (Show details)
Details: Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has  an MBR 
partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed  to GTP disks. Windows cannot 
be installed to this hard disk space.  Windows must be installed to a partition formatted as NTFS[/FONT].[/FONT]
Here the second Message:
Code:
Error: Windows cannont be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting 
to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computers'S BIOS menu.

It depends on whether I have UEFI activated or not which message appears. Currently UEFI is completly of (It was on the whole last year though...)
Well, If I partition both drives in Windows, I can't access the partition reserverd for mac later in the MacOSX installer.

Is there anybody outhere who can give me a simple and detailed guide what exactly I have to do, if I want to run both OS on one SSD?

Thanks in advance.

Hey guys, I know it's been a while since I was here, but I am exhausted.
Since 2 days I am trying to install Win8.1 and MacOSX on my (now not working) hackintosh.

I tried to follow this guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/96000-guide-dual-booting-mountain-lion-windows-8-a.html but 2 days trying out with no luck...

Well, since I need help I don't won't to displease you. I try to explain my issue:
First I had a working 10.9.3 and Win 7 on the same SSD with two partitions.
I am a student now and can get win8.1 for free so I thought to update my win7
I saved all my data and installed win8. It was no problem:
I formated the win7 partition and installed win8 (only using the win8 USB-Stick)
From here it got worse and worse and worse...
After win8 was installed I noticed I was not able to boot into Mavericks.
So I took my UNIBEAST drive and bootet osx.
I installed Chimera again and now i was able to boot into osx, but my win8 installation wasn't visible in chimera (Chameleon, too)

I decidet to make a clean install of both OS but I had no luck.
Regardless if I install Win8 first and then OSX or vice versa, either of them is not able to install.

Issue: I put in my UNIBEAST and partition my SSD as followed: GUID-Partition Table, half for OSX with HFS+, the other half for Windows (FAT).
Now I installed MacOSX like before without any issues. BUT: The partition which I reserved for windows is not usable in windows installer.
(Notice, after reading about 100 Posts in the web I disabeld UEFI completely, but it never helped in any way)
I got this 2 messages:
Code:
[FONT=century gothic][FONT=arial]Error: Windows cannot be installed to Disk 0 Partition 1 ( 2 or 3). (Show details)
Details: Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has  an MBR 
partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed  to GTP disks. Windows cannot 
be installed to this hard disk space.  Windows must be installed to a partition formatted as NTFS[/FONT].[/FONT]
Here the second Message:
Code:
Error: Windows cannont be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting 
to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computers'S BIOS menu.

It depends on whether I have UEFI activated or not which message appears. Currently UEFI is completly of (It was on the whole last year though...)
Well, If I partition both drives in Windows, I can't access the partition reserverd for mac later in the MacOSX installer.

Is there anybody outhere who can give me a simple and detailed guide what exactly I have to do, if I want to run both OS on one SSD?

Thanks in advance.
This is probably where you messed up - "I formated the win7 partition and installed win8 (only using the win8 USB-Stick)" - partition is already formatted - no need to format it again.
1. format the drive in OS X disk utiltiy. Options -> GUID, OS X partition MacOS Extended (Journaled), Windows partition MSDOS FAT
2. Install Windows on MSDOS FAT partition
2a. Boot machine, F12 to select boot order - USB will show up twice - USB and UEFI USB - select non-UEFI USB and hit enter (you could also select Legacy only for boot option is BIOS)
2b. At the Windows install screen, select the MSDOS FAT partition to install on
2c. Click the advanced button, click format
2d. Click Continue button to install. When done,
3. Reboot with UniBeast USB, install OS X
4. Run MultiBeast. Reboot

Win8.1 and OS X icons should both show at the Chimera selection screen when you hit a key to stop timeout or if you installed Instant Menu.

Hello Going Bald,
thanks for your reply.

I tried your suggestions but get stuck after formatting the drive in the 2 partitions.

What I did:
- Boot UNIBEAST (non EFI, none of my USB-Sticks is recognized EFI) and partition
the drives (first one Mac, second Windows)
- Reboot and chose the Windows8 thumb drive.
- When it comes to installation, I get this message: (like in my first post)

Code:
[FONT=century gothic][FONT=arial]Error: Windows cannot be installed to Disk 0 Partition  2. (Show details)
be installed to this hard disk space.  Windows must be installed to a partition formatted as NTFS[/FONT].

to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computers's BIOS menu.[/FONT]

When i format the drive, the error with the BIOS and the Controller appears again.
What did went wrong?

Thanks
xtraSteven

EDIT: I changed nothing from the above config and simply rebootet. Now I was able to set up windows.
BUT: Now, in OSX-Setup I got an error. I have to install with GUID partition Table. I have to
partition the whole drive to do this...
What do I do wrong?

Given

Code:
[FONT=century gothic][FONT=arial]Error: Windows cannot be installed to Disk 0 Partition  2. (Show details)
be installed to this hard disk space.  Windows must be installed to a partition formatted as NTFS[/FONT].

[/FONT]Since creating an MSDOS FAT partition with a Hybrid MBR gets the error that Win8 can't install MBR on a UEFI board, 2 things to try:

Format the Win8 partition to EXT4. Then try to format it NTFS with the Win8 installer.

or

Boot to BIOS and set the Boot Mode to Legacy only. Then install Win8.

Given

Code:

[/FONT]Since creating an MSDOS FAT partition with a Hybrid MBR gets the error that Win8 can't install MBR on a UEFI board, 2 things to try:

Format the Win8 partition to EXT4. Then try to format it NTFS with the Win8 installer.

or

Boot to BIOS and set the Boot Mode to Legacy only. Then install Win8.[/QUOTE]

Hello Going Bald,
you mean I should try with "ExFat" in the Partition Menü in OSX installer?
Boot is already set to "LEGACY ONLY" :(

I will reply as soon as I tried your last suggestion.
Thanks

Hello Going Bald,
you mean I should try with "ExFat" in the Partition Menü in OSX installer?
Boot is already set to "LEGACY ONLY" :(

I will reply as soon as I tried your last suggestion.
Thanks
ExFAT will do.

If the boot mode is set to Legacy only and you still get the "can't install/must be GUID on UEFI" then you are not selecting the proper icon to boot the Win8 installer at system boot.
When you put the USB in a port and boot up, hit F12 and look at your boot choices. one of them is the USB with a UEFI or EFI in the name, one of them does not have UEFI in the title. Select the one without the UEFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back