CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 5700
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi, last Friday, I updated my Clover/Catalina installation to Big Sur. Almost everything is working well except for the access to the Mac App Store. No download or installation.
Everybody is telling me to move to OC. So did take the plunge this weekend. Following the OpenCore Install Guide to set it up on a USB stick (It is a brand new Catalina installation USB stick with an EFI partition).
After spending 2 hours carefully following the guide, I tried to boot on the USB stick. I got some lines of log without any error... then a blank screen. After 2 or 3 minutes (!!! This is my first problem), I finally saw the list of bootable devices. But.... my macOS Big Sur volume is not listed! It is the only one not listed in fact. My Windows 10 ssd is there (and working), the Catalina install is also present.
If I choose the Catalina installer, it is working. I can enter the MacOs installer. And from there if I go to the Disk Utility, I can see my Big Sur volume.

I really don't know what to do from there. I read all the troubleshooting section of the guide, but my 2 problems are not listed.

My board is a GIGABYTE Z370P D3 with a Coffe-Lake i7-8700. My main disk (Big Sur Installation) is on an NVNe 1Tb drive.
My EFI folder look like this (see first image).
Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 10.16.21.png

And my config.plist
And my latest boot log

If it is not the best place to ask this question, please tell me and point me the right place.
Thanks!

Attachments

• config.plist
    23.7 KB · Views: 88
  • opencore-2020-11-16-134728.txt
    256 KB · Views: 115
Seems I am not getting any help here for this.....
But I figured out some things:
My OC configuration seems ok since I am able to boot on Catalina clone on an external HD. And everything is working fine. Network, sound, etc...
It is only my Big Sur installation on my internal nvne drive that is not working. It does not appear in the list:
IMG_0037.jpeg

The second thing, is after following the OC install guide bios setting, I realize that disabling SGX prevent me from booting. At least using my regular Clover installation.

I hope someone can help me with this.

Got some update...
I started the process gain from the beginning. But this time, instead of using an existing Catalina Install stick, I created a Big Sur installation on a new formatted stick.
And I got almost the same result. I say almost because my first problem is gone. Now there is no delay before the list of device appear. But still my main BigSur nvne drive is missing.
I was able to boot on the Recovery partition. From there, in Disk Utility I performed a disk first aid on my BigSur nvne disk..... no change.
I went to "Select restart disk", selected my BigSur nvne drive.... and now after restart, I have a brand new item in my device list. BigSur nvne - Data !! Only the data partition! And of course, it is not bootable.

Any clue someone?
My next move will be to try a re-install of BigSur from the recovery partition. But I am afraid that will be back at the same point after. What do you think?

UPDATE: The delay problem that disappear was because the second time, I installed the release version instead of the debug one......

Last edited:
Problem solved!
Re-installing Big Sur using the recovery partition did it!
I can now update and download from the App Store!
The only problem that remain, is DRM. Cannot play any arm protected media. But it is a know limitation for now.
I also have a problem with encrypted zoom chat. Maybe it is linked with the drm problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back