HELP NEEDED - can't get High Sierra to boot

• Thread starter Deleted member 1891562
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 1891562

hi there,
i'm opening a new thread after previously posting about not being able to run anything after installing some wrong kexts in MultiBeast.
I was FINALLY able to reinstall everything and get my system to work. after that, I stopped myself from installing any unnecessary kexts, and was following this guide that uses the same mobo.
I tried to repair the sound drivers by installing FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_audio.kext as suggested in another guide and after that I couldn't reboot.
I figured they were the wrong kexts and deleted them in Recovery mode and was able to boot once.
Now when I boot I get to the middle of the progress bar and the system reboots.

another thing is I could always only boot with the Unibeast USB mounted.

Please help, i'm not sure where to even start with this

Thanks in advance

this is where the reboot happens on verbose
(couldn't rotate the image so here's a link to the image)
0htRF

Attachments

• IMG_4296.JPG
    IMG_4296.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 89
There are many reasons why a kernel panic can occur. In my case it happened after a macOS update.
I had to update Lilo.kext and a kext associated with lilo - both in Library/Extensions.
Do I understand correctly that you can boot from your install USB drive but not from your harddrive? If so: When you didn't change anything in your clover config it most probably happens because of wrong or outdated kexts in the EFI partition of your system drive.
You could try to boot with the boot-flag: -liluoff

Additionally this: #20 has helped in the corresponding specific case with similar issues where booting only was possible in safe mode (boot-flag: -x).

Thank you for replying @hdv79 . I have reinstalled HS from the boot drive and it looks like I have a fresh working installation. Do you have any idea if the EFI partition of my system drive gets deleted when I erase the disk on Disk Utility? could it be that it's corrupt as you suggested and it never gets deleted no matter how many fresh installs I do?

is there an alternative to MultiBeast? should I trying installing kexts in a different way? and when is the OS able to boot on its own without using the USB?

please help - i'm still getting the same panic I showed in the beginning unmounting the USB drive.

Now even if I put it back in - i can't boot from SSD.

I haven't installed any kexts in MultiBeast this time, just used Clover Configurator to boot from SSD!!

Anyone?

I used MultiBeast but had to do some configurations in clover.
Additionally I used audio_cloverALC-130_v0.3.command to get my Audio back after the latest HS update.
Though I wouldn't touch audio until your system boots reliably.

There are several options to check/update your EFI on your system drive:
1) Clover configurator --> Mount EFI
or
2) EFI MounterV3 (a macOS app)

That's my Kernel and Kext-Patches configuration in CLOVER: Kernel-Kext.png

That's my DSDT-Patches in Acpi: DSDT1+2

In the clover configuration in SMBIOS I use iMac17,1 as Product name.

In System Parameters I have Inject Kexts = yes, Inject System ID: checked and NvidiaWeb: checked.

That's the kexts I use in my system EFI (EFI/Clover/kexts): kexts

Check that AppleALC and Lilu are recent. And check that in Library/Extensions Lilu.kext is also the latest.

I had to update apfs.efi after the latest update in EFI/Clover/drivers64UEFI

Edit: Sry. Have troubles embedding images for some reason.

Attachments

• Kernel-Kext.png
    Kernel-Kext.png
    56.6 KB · Views: 172
  • DSTD1.png
    DSTD1.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 122
  • DSDT2.png
    DSDT2.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 131
  • kexts.png
    kexts.png
    37.8 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
@hdv79 thanks again, but can you please look at my previous reply ? this is where i'm at right now, and again - I can't boot.

also I can't see your clover configurations in your last reply.

Thanks again, really appreciated

I'm also booting from a SSD. I only can tell you what I have done after using multibeast.
Configured it according to the install guide.
Thanks again.
The changes were made in the SSD EFI.
The thing is, now I can't boot from SSD, even when I remove the boot-flags that were added by clover configurator.
I just get to half of the progress bar then it reboots.

This is driving my crazy.
and i can't access anything other than the clover boot loader in the beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back