Help needed: BIOS / dual boot

Discussion in 'BIOS/UEFI' started by Donauinsel, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Donauinsel

Donauinsel

Mobo:
    H170
    CPU:
    i5-6500
    Graphics:
    HD 530
    Dec 29, 2016 at 2:16 PM #1
    Donauinsel

Donauinsel

Mobo:
    H170
    CPU:
    i5-6500
    Graphics:
    HD 530
    I got my first build up and running (still need to fix audio and WIFI) but now I am stuck with dual boot. I installed Ubuntu on a seperate partition and Linux shows up as an option in Clover (actually as two options: "boot from EFI" and "boot from legacy"). But all I get when I try to boot either of them is a black screen and a blinking cursor. Booting into Sierra works fine.

At the same time - and I have no idea whether this is connected - after every time I boot Sierra an additional "boot option" (always my SSD) is added to the BIOS.

I have read hundreds of threads and it would be great if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

2. Traveler

Traveler

Dec 29, 2016 at 6:11 PM #2
    Traveler

Traveler

I can't help with the boot option issue (having one of my own), but I might be able to help with the Ubuntu issue. Did you delete all of the linux partitions before installing Sierra? If not, launch Disk Utility and try to delete them. Note that using disk partition tools like Disk Utility can be complicated, so be careful. It's been awhile since I've use linux, but I think there should be two partitions: Ubuntu and a swap. The Ubuntu one should be easy to spot and delete, so definitely do that. Hopefully that's all it will take to remove those two options from Clover.

3. Donauinsel

Donauinsel

Mobo:
    H170
    CPU:
    i5-6500
    Graphics:
    HD 530
    Dec 29, 2016 at 6:56 PM #3
    Donauinsel

Donauinsel

Mobo:
    H170
    CPU:
    i5-6500
    Graphics:
    HD 530
    Sierra was the first OS I installed and only later created a partition for Linux dual boot. I just reformatted the EFI partition from a Linux Live USB and now it only shows "Boot from Legacy". And the boot process still hangs in limbo. I´ll give it a rest today and try again tomorrow.

Thanks anyway!

4. BadGoldish3725

BadGoldish3725

Mobo:
    Z170x - UD3
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7 6700k
    Graphics:
    GTX 950
    Mac:
    MacBook Pro
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Jan 11, 2017 at 4:46 AM #4
    BadGoldish3725

BadGoldish3725

Mobo:
    Z170x - UD3
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7 6700k
    Graphics:
    GTX 950
    Mac:
    MacBook Pro
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Try switching the SSDs around in the case or booting one at a time with one SSD plugged in. I had the same exact problem with windows and now it seems to be fixed. Good luck!