Contribute
Register

[HELP] My Switchable Graphics option in BIOS keeps resetting after reboot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell Precision M4800 + Clover 4077
CPU
i7 4800MQ + Intel QM87 (Lynx Point) Chipset
Graphics
NVIDIA Quadro K2100M | Intel HD4600 1080p
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So I've setup my hackintosh, everything working fine.

I've always used Switchable Graphics in Windows 10, it worked fine, switched when needed and I could reboot without problems. But when I reboot (or shutdown) in MacOS, the laptop does something really weird...

1. It tries to boot (fans spinning) for 5 secs
2. Fails or crashes and everything turns off again.
3. After 3 secs it attempts to boot again, but this time Switchable Graphics option in BIOS is set to false (every other option in BIOS stays the same, it's only Switchable Graphics)

I do need Switchable Graphics on because I want to use my iGPU for MacOS, when Switchable Graphics is off it uses the NVIDIA card. So it does work once, and after shutting down or rebooting my laptop does the weird crash/reset thing. And obviously I don't want to enter BIOS every reboot to change Switchable Graphics on again.

Anyone here knows how to fix the resetting, or at least another way to use iGPU only?
(I've already followed the guide on disabling NVIDIA discrete graphics, but this only works with Switchable Graphics on, else it uses Software rendering, so I've reverted the disable NVIDIA discrete graphics patches again.)

(Maybe) important Software:
NVIDIA Web Drivers

Specs:
Type: Laptop
Name: Dell Precision M4800
CPU: Intel i7 4800MQ (iGPU: 4600)
GPU: NVidia Quadro K2100M
RAM: 32GB
Audio: ALC3226
Ethernet: Intel I217LM PCI Express
WiFi: BCM94360HMB
BIOS: Dell BIOS version A18
OS: MacOS Sierra 10.12.5 | Windows 10 N | Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS

Clover Config:
Attached: https://www.tonymacx86.com/attachments/config-plist.258489/

Clover version:

EDIT: Forgot to say, the Switchable Graphics option in BIOS only gets reset to disabled when I boot with Switchable Graphics enabled into MacOS. Windows and Linux are rebooting fine.

Attachments

• config.plist
    13.8 KB · Views: 375
So I've setup my hackintosh, everything working fine.

I've always used Switchable Graphics in Windows 10, it worked fine, switched when needed and I could reboot without problems. But when I reboot (or shutdown) in MacOS, the laptop does something really weird...

1. It tries to boot (fans spinning) for 5 secs
2. Fails or crashes and everything turns off again.
3. After 3 secs it attempts to boot again, but this time Switchable Graphics option in BIOS is set to false (every other option in BIOS stays the same, it's only Switchable Graphics)

I do need Switchable Graphics on because I want to use my iGPU for MacOS, when Switchable Graphics is off it uses the NVIDIA card. So it does work once, and after shutting down or rebooting my laptop does the weird crash/reset thing. And obviously I don't want to enter BIOS every reboot to change Switchable Graphics on again.

Anyone here knows how to fix the resetting, or at least another way to use iGPU only?
(I've already followed the guide on disabling NVIDIA discrete graphics, but this only works with Switchable Graphics on, else it uses Software rendering, so I've reverted the disable NVIDIA discrete graphics patches again.)

(Maybe) important Software:
NVIDIA Web Drivers

Specs:
Type: Laptop
Name: Dell Precision M4800
CPU: Intel i7 4800MQ (iGPU: 4600)
GPU: NVidia Quadro K2100M
RAM: 32GB
Audio: ALC3226
Ethernet: Intel I217LM PCI Express
WiFi: BCM94360HMB
BIOS: Dell BIOS version A18
OS: MacOS Sierra 10.12.5 | Windows 10 N | Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS

Clover Config:
Attached: https://www.tonymacx86.com/attachments/config-plist.258489/

Clover version:

EDIT: Forgot to say, the Switchable Graphics option in BIOS only gets reset to disabled when I boot with Switchable Graphics enabled into MacOS. Windows and Linux are rebooting fine.

Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting"
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Thanks for your answer, but unfortunately this post does not help me at all.

The only partially relevant thing is:

If your discrete device (AMD Radeon or Nvidia) is not routed through the Intel GPU, then it is considered dedicated. Some laptops have the internal display connected to the Intel GPU and the external HDMI/DP port connected to the discrete graphics device. It is rare, but in that case you would be able to get the device to work with the external display with proper kexts and correct configuration, much like a dual-GPU desktop setup.

However, my laptop is somewhat strange in Switchable Graphcis - it has some sort of Desktop-like Optimus. I've talked with a guy named phen0menal on Discord about this. He got the same laptop with an AMD card, and got switchable graphics fully working in macOS. We couldn't figure out why switchable graphics keeps resetting when I reboot MacOS tho.

I want to use my iGPU only, and I am not sure if the NVIDIA is routed through my iGPU, that's why I want to know if there is any other way to use the iGPU only for booting into MacOS. Switchable Graphics is the only option I've found so far, but as I said - that keeps resetting itself.

So I've got two options:
1. Find another way to use iGPU only for MacOS
2. Find a way to stop Switchable Graphics option being reset after MacOS reboot.

Because the problem is, I followed your guide on disabling NVIDIA discrete graphics for laptops, but I still need to boot with Switchable Graphics as far as I know. I don't know if there is any other option, but once I disabled my discrete card with your patches, and then disabled Switchable Graphics I get a blackscreen. Maybe my discrete graphics was not fully disabled? I'm gonna test again with ioreg - how should I use it?

Kepp in mind that my workstation laptop handles NVIDIA optimus like Desktops..

Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks for your answer, but unfortunately this post does not help me at all.

The only partially relevant thing is:

If your discrete device (AMD Radeon or Nvidia) is not routed through the Intel GPU, then it is considered dedicated. Some laptops have the internal display connected to the Intel GPU and the external HDMI/DP port connected to the discrete graphics device. It is rare, but in that case you would be able to get the device to work with the external display with proper kexts and correct configuration, much like a dual-GPU desktop setup.

However, my laptop is a really rare Laptop - it has Desktop-like Optimus. I've talked with a guy named phen0menal on the Corp Newton Discord (https://discord.gg/u8fwnj) about this. He got the same laptop with an AMD card, and got switchable graphics fully working in macOS. He has no idea why switchable graphics keeps resetting when I reboot MacOS.

I want to use my iGPU only, and I am not sure if the NVIDIA is routed through my iGPU, that's why I want to know if there is any other way to use the iGPU only for booting into MacOS. Switchable Graphics is the only option I've found so far, but as I said - that keeps resetting itself.

So I've got two options:
1. Find another way to use iGPU only for MacOS
2. Find a way to stop Switchable Graphics option being reset after MacOS reboot.

Kepp in mind that my workstation laptop handles NVIDIA optimus like Desktops..

Thanks!

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested data.

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested data.
I'm really sorry, didn't see that you were talking about "Problem Reporting".

Attached all needed files now.

Can you help me?

Thanks!

Attachments

• ProblemReporting.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 125
Last edited:
I'm really sorry, didn't see that you were talking about "Problem Reporting".

Attached all needed files now.

Can you help me?

Thanks!

Some incorrect things about your ACPI patching:
- dynamic SSDTs should not be in ACPI/patched
- why did you add a _PRW to Device(AC)?
- SSDT-3 is out of sync with ACPI/origin (SystemMemory addresses in SSDT package are changed)

Your profile indicates you have only Nvidia. Is it inaccurate?

- dynamic SSDTs should not be in ACPI/patched
What are dynamic SSDTs? the ones with an 'x' at the end?

- why did you add a _PRW to Device(AC)?
I didn't add that manually, probably was one of the Patches on your Repo (AC Power Fix or something)

- SSDT-3 is out of sync with ACPI/origin (SystemMemory addresses in SSDT package are changed)
So just redo the SSDT-3?

Your profile indicates you have only Nvidia. Is it inaccurate?
I have Intel HD4600 and NVIDIA Quadro K2100M

The problem isn't the ACPI tables. I've just recently patched them all, before that, my ACPI/patched folder was empty - I was getting the Switchable Graphics resetting error back then aswell...

What are dynamic SSDTs? the ones with an 'x' at the end?

Your question is answered in the ACPI patching guide.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.152573/

I didn't add that manually, probably was one of the Patches on your Repo (AC Power Fix or something)

Not applicable to current ACPIBatteryManager.kext.

So just redo the SSDT-3?

So far, you have no patches to the SSDTs that can't be easily accomplished with config.plist (eg. renames).
You should eliminate all OEM SSDTs from ACPI/patched, and set DropOem=false.
Then use config.plist to do renames.

I have Intel HD4600 and NVIDIA Quadro K2100M

Then your profile is inaccurate. Please fix as per FAQ.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

The problem isn't the ACPI tables. I've just recently patched them all, before that, my ACPI/patched folder was empty - I was getting the Switchable Graphics resetting error back then aswell...

First we need to fix the obvious mistakes (in profile, and in your setup).
Then we can look at where you are...

okay removed the dynamic SSDTs, aswell from Clover Config > SSDT > Sorted Order.

Not applicable to current ACPIBatteryManager.kext.
What do you mean? Should I remove that one? My battery is working. I've used a custom battery patch - that might be the _PRW to Device(AC).

So far, you have no patches to the SSDTs that can't be easily accomplished with config.plist (eg. renames).
You should eliminate all OEM SSDTs from ACPI/patched, and set DropOem=false.
Then use config.plist to do renames.
Okay, added Clover rename from GFX0 to iGPU and removed all SSDTs (except SSDT.aml for PM) in ACPI/patched.

Fixed.

Last edited:
Should I remove that one?

Yes. Not needed.

Okay, added Clover rename from GFX0 to iGPU and removed all SSDTs (except SSDT.aml for PM) in ACPI/patched.

Whenever changes are made, you must provide new "Problem Reporting" files and an update on the current issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back