Contribute
Register

Help! My BIOS won't recognize my Clover UEFI Partition!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI
CPU
Core i7 6700K
Graphics
EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hi there!

I was having some stability issues with my overclocked 6700K dual-booting (OSX and Windows) Hackintosh, which was strange since I had been running great for over a year, and when I did the overclock I ran tons of stability tests and had no problems. Nonetheless, I decided to reset my BIOS to optimized defaults to get rid of the overclock completely and go back to stock clocks and voltage.

I used "Load Optimized Defaults" in my Gigabyte BIOS to remove all my overclocked settings, then did the usual settings as per the tutorial I used to build my hackintosh over a year ago:
- XHCI Handoff: ENABLED
- Serial Port 1: DISABLED
- Parallel Port: DISABLED
- vT-d: DISABLED (by default)

All of a sudden, my motherboard bios doesn't seem to be able to see/boot from my Clover EFI partition on my Samsung SSD. I can attempt to boot from the SSD, but it doesn't seem to want to use the EFI partition (Clover). I can see the hard drive, which shows up as "P1 - Samsung 850 Evo" and occassionally "Windows Boot Manager - P1 Samsung 850 Evo" but I'm pretty sure it used to say "UEFI - Samsung 850 Evo" ... basically I've lost the UEFI and therefore Clover. It also makes no sense that it would ever say "Windows Boot Manager - P1 Samsung 850 Evo" because Windows is not installed on that hard drive! Only OSX is on my 850 Evo.

Until I loaded optimized defaults, I was booting to Clover from my OSX SSD no problem... now I can't even boot to OSX on the SSD at all. I can only boot to my Windows hard drive. I can't even find my OSX hard drive on the windows side using HFSexplorer!

I also tried changing my hard drive boot settings to both "Legacy only" and "UEFI only" and neither will boot the Clover EFI partition on my SSD. When I force my bios to boot to my Samsung SSD, I just get a message like "insert valid boot device and press any key".

Really could use some help. Right now I've totally lost the OSX side of my Hackintosh and have no access to my files... Thank you so much in advance.

Kind regards,
Lucas

My motherboard: Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K
Graphics: GTX 1080
Hard Drives: OSX - Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1TB, Windows - WD Black 4TB

Hi there!

I was having some stability issues with my overclocked 6700K dual-booting (OSX and Windows) Hackintosh, which was strange since I had been running great for over a year, and when I did the overclock I ran tons of stability tests and had no problems. Nonetheless, I decided to reset my BIOS to optimized defaults to get rid of the overclock completely and go back to stock clocks and voltage.

I used "Load Optimized Defaults" in my Gigabyte BIOS to remove all my overclocked settings, then did the usual settings as per the tutorial I used to build my hackintosh over a year ago:

All of a sudden, my motherboard bios doesn't seem to be able to see/boot from my Clover EFI partition on my Samsung SSD. I can attempt to boot from the SSD, but it doesn't seem to want to use the EFI partition (Clover). I can see the hard drive, which shows up as "P1 - Samsung 850 Evo" and occassionally "Windows Boot Manager - P1 Samsung 850 Evo" but I'm pretty sure it used to say "UEFI - Samsung 850 Evo" ... basically I've lost the UEFI and therefore Clover. It also makes no sense that it would ever say "Windows Boot Manager - P1 Samsung 850 Evo" because Windows is not installed on that hard drive! Only OSX is on my 850 Evo.

Until I loaded optimized defaults, I was booting to Clover from my OSX SSD no problem... now I can't even boot to OSX on the SSD at all. I can only boot to my Windows hard drive. I can't even find my OSX hard drive on the windows side using HFSexplorer!

I also tried changing my hard drive boot settings to both "Legacy only" and "UEFI only" and neither will boot the Clover EFI partition on my SSD. When I force my bios to boot to my Samsung SSD, I just get a message like "insert valid boot device and press any key".

Really could use some help. Right now I've totally lost the OSX side of my Hackintosh and have no access to my files... Thank you so much in advance.

Kind regards,
Lucas

Have you tried disconnecting your Windows hard disk (you can disconnect the cable or disable the SATA port where the hard disk is connected in the BIOS) and see if the BIOS still detects your SSD and whether MacOS will boot?

If the SSD won't boot by itself, try replacing the SATA cable connecting the SSD to the motherboard to see if it is a cable problem.

Otherwise I think your SSD may have a problem itself.

Hi there!

Kind regards,
Lucas

How did you solve your issue?

I have the same problem. But for me, after powered on the PC, it goes directly to BIOS and ask to Load Optimized Defaults, maybe an energy issue, I don't know. Well, I load optimized defaults and at the same time reviewed the hackintosh configuration options adjusting some that were modified.

However the BIOS can not recognize the Clover partition of my SSD. It only recognizes the Windows Boot Manager.

Anyone can help?

I already tried to unplug/plug and even change the SATA cable of my SSD.

-- EDIT --

SOLVED!

I managed to solve my issue by reproducing the steps from @chibabah in this other topic.

Unfortunately I does not have my USB media anymore. So I tried to boot in the built-in UEFI shell of my MSI. For my surprise the MSI built-in UEFI shell does not have the bcfg command.

So I searched a little on the internet and found a Solution from McAfee to create a bootable USB media to access the default EFI shell.

Finally, using the new created USB media, I do reproduce the steps from the topic I mentioned above and then I was able to boot in my Hackintosh again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back