Contribute
Register

Help me spec out a build, fast and nimble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE H370M D3H
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
GTX 1070
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey Ninjas

I want a build that is fast, so Im going with an i7 950. But I also want to keep a dual boot with some legacy hardware for windows 7. I run 2 HD tuners that are pci.

The main things I want are the i7 950, 2 pci for my tuners (windows side), I want a nice GPU that is fully mac compatible. I want loads of memory, 12 gigs would be perfect, and want dual monitor capable even if I start with just 1 for now. I definately want stability in 64 bit, meaning I dont want to run 32 bit like my laptops. Ive done 3 laptops since the 10.5.2 days.

The main things Ill do are video editing once I find a cheap way to get final cut pro.

thedon said:
Hey Ninjas

I want a build that is fast, so Im going with an i7 950. But I also want to keep a dual boot with some legacy hardware for windows 7. I run 2 HD tuners that are pci.

The main things I want are the i7 950, 2 pci for my tuners (windows side), I want a nice GPU that is fully mac compatible. I want loads of memory, 12 gigs would be perfect, and want dual monitor capable even if I start with just 1 for now. I definately want stability in 64 bit, meaning I dont want to run 32 bit like my laptops. Ive done 3 laptops since the 10.5.2 days.

The main things Ill do are video editing once I find a cheap way to get final cut pro.
Hi thedon, I'm not a ninja but I'll try to answer... :D
Well, if you have a look at my signature, you'll see that I built a custoMac Pro like you want to do.
Actually I have a dual boot machine that rocks: 500GB for Windows 7 operating system and applications, 1TB for Win7 data; 1TB for OSX, 1.5TB for OSX data and 2 x 1TB for Time machine and other backup purposes... 6TB in total :)

I set OSX as primary boot and, when I want to go Windows 7 I hit F12 and select the relevant HD. I tried choosing it with Chameleon, but sometimes it locks everything, so I prefer do it manually. All in all it's a 10 second operation ;)

Although GA-X58A-UD3R is a great motherboard, if i had to start again today I'd surely choose its big sisters GA-X58A-UD5 or GA-X58A-UD7.
About RAM, beware Corsair Dominator because the sticks are too high and interfere with CPU cooler, not the stock one, but the one you might install. For this reason I had to install the stock cooler, but I'm still looking for a substitute. :?

About GPU, I suggest ATI Radeon HD5770 Vapor X, although you could ask for more because of video editing.
As far as I can see, the new MultiBeast supports several GPUs, thus you shouldn't encounter installation problems.

In general, following tonymacx86, MacMan and Lnx2Mac suggestions and guides the installation is quite straightforward and fast... if compared to the Win7 one :lol:

Then, the most important aspect imho is a good backup and retrieval system: when you're satisfied of your OS and applications, do a complete backup with SuperDuper, save it onto an external HD and leave user files saved through Time Machine.
If something goes wrong, you can go back and restore everything.

wavesequence said:
Although GA-X58A-UD3R is a great motherboard, if i had to start again today I'd surely choose its big sisters GA-X58A-UD5 or GA-X58A-UD7.

Hey wavesequence why would you go GA-X58A-UD5 or GA-X58A-UD7 this time? some features missing on the UD3R?

aero++ said:
wavesequence said:

Hey wavesequence why would you go GA-X58A-UD5 or GA-X58A-UD7 this time? some features missing on the UD3R?

If I'm not wrong UD5 and/or UD7 has 2 Firewire ports instead of just one. And, I remember that when i compared respective specs, UD5 and UD7 were better than UD3R, but more expensive than the latter...
To me Firewire ports are important because of HD recording audio interface (MotU 828mkIII) and external FW HDs used to store audio data.

wavesequence said:
If I'm not wrong UD5 and/or UD7 has 2 Firewire ports instead of just one. And, I remember that when i compared respective specs, UD5 and UD7 were better than UD3R, but more expensive than the latter...
To me Firewire ports are important because of HD recording audio interface (MotU 828mkIII) and external FW HDs used to store audio data.

That is weird.. gigabyte claims the UD3R has 3 FW ports

good to know, FW it's important to me as well :)

wavesequence said:
thedon said:
Hey Ninjas

Hi thedon, I'm not a ninja but I'll try to answer... :D
Well, if you have a look at my signature, you'll see that I built a custoMac Pro like you want to do.
Actually I have a dual boot machine that rocks: 500GB for Windows 7 operating system and applications, 1TB for Win7 data; 1TB for OSX, 1.5TB for OSX data and 2 x 1TB for Time machine and other backup purposes... 6TB in total :)

I set OSX as primary boot and, when I want to go Windows 7 I hit F12 and select the relevant HD. I tried choosing it with Chameleon, but sometimes it locks everything, so I prefer do it manually. All in all it's a 10 second operation ;)

About RAM, beware Corsair Dominator because the sticks are too high and interfere with CPU cooler, not the stock one, but the one you might install. For this reason I had to install the stock cooler, but I'm still looking for a substitute. :?

About GPU, I suggest ATI Radeon HD5770 Vapor X, although you could ask for more because of video editing.
As far as I can see, the new MultiBeast supports several GPUs, thus you shouldn't encounter installation problems.

In general, following tonymacx86, MacMan and Lnx2Mac suggestions and guides the installation is quite straightforward and fast... if compared to the Win7 one :lol:

Then, the most important aspect imho is a good backup and retrieval system: when you're satisfied of your OS and applications, do a complete backup with SuperDuper, save it onto an external HD and leave user files saved through Time Machine.
If something goes wrong, you can go back and restore everything.

Great. I saw the motherboard you use has more PCIs. And I didnt think of dual booting using more than one drive. Makes sense. Im used to only laptop dual boots. PCs you get the benefit of multiple drives. I didnt think of that. Good to know. Thanks for a detailed reply.

thedon said:
Great. I saw the motherboard you use has more PCIs. And I didnt think of dual booting using more than one drive. Makes sense. Im used to only laptop dual boots. PCs you get the benefit of multiple drives. I didnt think of that. Good to know. Thanks for a detailed reply.
You're welcome ;)
By the way, now I'm struggling to resurrect the other G31M-ES2 hackintosh.
It's another kind of beast that motherboard... It caused me problems since the very beginning. :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back