Motherboard
Homer
CPU
Intel i5 3750K
Graphics
GeForce GTX770
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have an Asus P8Z77-V LE board with Mountain Lion 10.8.5 that runs pretty good but has a couple of small annoyances:

Full specs:

Asus P8Z77-V LE
Intel 3570K with a moderate overclock
NVIDIA 560Ti Fermi Card with dual Dell 2410 monitors
16GB of GSKill F3-2400C10-8GTX @ 2200
HK-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS95 DVD Burner
OS X is on a 128GB Kingston V300 SSD with a Seagate 500GB drive for storage
Rocketfish Bluetooth Module

I have 2 other SSDs (1 for Linux and 1 for Win 8) and 1 other HDD for Win storage.

1. Power On Self-Test in Diagnostics shows:

Last Run: 10/15/13 11:56 AM
Result: Failed
Failure Type: Memory
Memory Slots: ChannelA-DIMM0/BANK 0, ChannelB-DIMM0/BANK 2

I suspect this is a non-issue because I put the memory into the proper slots per the manual but I think Os X checks to see if memory modules are present in other slots.

2. Audio Problem when watching YouTube videos

Audio works, but when I go to watch a YouTube video, after a short while the sound becomes distorted. I can fix it by pausing for a minute or two and the resume, then the audio goes back to normal, it also happens with VLC when I reload a website. I think this may be a Chrome issue but if anyone experienced this as well, I'd love to hear it.

Now for the serious annoyances:

3. Sleep

Whenever I try to sleep the computer, it tries to sleep, but the lights all go off, including the fans, then about a second later the computer seems to try to wake up but it doesn't wake up, instead it turns off again and then proceeds to reboot. I have problems with Sleep under Linux as well, but it does go to sleep and wake up but the displays are not always coming back...

4. Power Management for fans

My GPU, CPU and PWR fans are maxed out all the time (Now the PWR fan is not controllable and I have it wired to my water pump for a Corsair 55H cooler, so that doesn't make any noise but the CPU & GPU fans are spinning higher than they could/should be spinning.

What I have done:

I patched the Asus BIOS through Flashback by downgrading to 901 from stock 1001 then used flashback to flash the BIOS to the PMPatch(ed) 1001 BIOS from the Asus website.
I am using the patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext from the latest 5.2.3 MultiBeast
I need to run freezefix for my 560TI Fermi card otherwise I get random freezes with a spinning :beachball: but it's movable.
I tried to see if my system would sleep with all USB disabled and with the 560TI removed but it still does the same thing so I suspect it's a motherboard issue.

I grabbed by DSDT and decompiled it with MaciASL but without any changes I can't get it to recompile:
3508, 6090, Min/Max/Length/Gran are all zero, but no resource tag

I'm hoping someone can help me edit the DSDT to at least get the fans to spin down and for the sleep to work.

1, Flash the BIOS with modded BIOS rom available here > http://biosrepo.wordpress.com/asus/z77/

More info about modded BIOS here > http://www.tonymacx86.com/dsdt/43486-asus-1155-patched-bios-repository.html

With modded BIOS build will support native power management and wont need to install any patched power management kext.

2, Remove the GPU and get the build up and running on HD4000 onboard graphics first. Make sure you connect the monitor to onboard DVI or HDMI port and change the Display settings in BIOS.

Display - IGPU
Memory - 64MB

3, Complete the fresh installation and run the latest multibeast with below settings.
once you get the build up and running using onboard than you can install the GPU.

Screen Shot 2013-10-16 at 09.45.15.png

-

I'm not sure if this will be of any help to you but on Mountain Lion and Mavericks my sleep works 100% I have no Problem with sound I am using the same ALC 892.
My memory is showing in the right slots looking in (About this Mac) Asus with Z77 chipset are UEFI you don't need DSDT but I have flashed my Bios, you will find info in Tonymacx86 as well as all the drivers needed. If you have Intel Ivy bridge Processor and a Graphic card that is on the list of Tonymacx86 CustoMac guide you should be ok. I have a DSDT but I don't use it.
This is what I installed.
Asus GeForce GTX 650Ti
Intel Core i5 Ivy bridge 3.21 GHz processor.
Ausus P8ZZ-M pro motherboard
Realtek ALC 892 Without DSDT
FakeSMC kext, GenericUSBXHCI kext, Realtek 81xx kext, AppleACPIPlatform kext,
Chimera v2.2.1 r2252 Bootloader.
For Boot Option I use GraphicsEnabler=No. Although I found after I booted a few times I didn't need this, and I did not get a white screen. All I have in my (org.chameleon.Boot.plist) is this <key>Timeout</key <string>1</string> just that no (smbios.plist) and no Themes. I never had boot-up problem with this motherboard.
Far better then my Gigabyte H77M-D3H board I still can't get sleep to work on this board.

Just for fun I did all of that on a new SSD and I have the same exact issues.

I've also tried using the patched bios from the website, making my own changes and recompiling and running the pmpatch script but nothing got sleep working.

I've the same issue with fans. Have you resolved it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back