Contribute
Register

Help me find a mother to match my selected components (budget: USD 2000) and other suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello people, I really need some help in order to pick up the right motherboard given my current situation...

+ Objetive: To match or surpass the nMP 4-Core (USD 2999) performance.

+ Budget: USD 2000 or less (Processor; Graphics; Memory; Cooler; Power Suppy; SSD; Case)

+ Applications: Final cut pro X; Compressor. (Ocasionally some visual fx, grading, and simple 3d work).

+ Things that must work (not negotiable): Dual monitor set-up (1080 up to 4k); USB3; Sound; A wired LAN Network connection.

+ This is a list of components I've picked up so far. They're mostly based on the current Buyer's Guide:

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5Ghz (USD 340)
Graphics: PNY NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2GB GDDR5 (360)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical (Low profile) 16GB (USD 200)
Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S (I think i'm going to push this i7-4770K from 3.5 to 4Gh). (USD 75)
Power Suppy: Antec HCP-1000 Platinum (I know this is an overkill, but I'm fond to antec) (USD 250)
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (I'd like better options but this seems the more compatible?) (USD 190)
Case: CM 690 II Advanced (USD 80)

Total: USD 1495.

How did I get to pick this configuration? (You can skip this to the Questions section)

Ideally, I would have chosen the nMP 6-Core (USD 3999). This is the kind of performance I'd be happy with. But, it's completely out of budget...

Next option was the entry level nMP 4-Core (USD 2999) The reason I didn't went this route is that, in my opinion, the 4-core xeon kinda sucks for that money. It's not that this configuration is not enough for me, it's just that I'm not willing to pay that much for such low performance.

So I was luring to build a hackintosh. Ideally I would have choose a 6-core i7-3930K and a high performance GPU like a Radeon 290x. I don't need ECC memory in any component, and I don't really need a workstation GPU at all. The problem with this configuration are compatibility issues at the moment, which, by the way, I'm pretty sure I will not be able to solve... too much risk given my current economy (and knowledge). Also, the noise of a board like that kinda worries me.

Questions

+ The Big Question: Which Motherboard should I choose? I mean, what is the best motherboard (in terms of building quality and hackintosh compatibility) that will work with my selected components? Anything from Asus that would not be that traumatic and workable? I'm willing to pay more for a quality board.

+ The Minor question: Would a GeForce GTX 770 2GB GDDR5 match a Dual D300? I think I'd like to put a better GPU, but this is the top GPU I can choose from the recommended components...

So... If I'm able to match or surpass a nMP 4-Core (USD 3200 with taxes) performance with a hackintosh, for about USD 2000 or less, I'd be totally happy. I'm not really editing 4k, and I don't need ECC memory. I think a thunderbolt port would be nice in case I need it, but, in the meantime I think internal storage would do the trick for me now.

Any suggestion is very welcome since, as you can see, I'm kinda puzzled.

Thanks in advance and sorry for this extensive thread!

With your choices in your list right now you've still got up to $500 to spend and
still stay within budget. Look at the new Gigabyte Z87X-UD7-TH. It's got dual
Thunderbolt 2.0 (newest version) and likely everything you'll ever need. There
will also be some detailed guides posted on how to install OS X for you to follow
with when your build is done.

It is expensive but it's the best choice right now for TH 2.0. The UD5-TH also has
dual TH but it is the 1.0 version. Costs about $200 less.

Other than that look at some of the User Builds with Asus boards that are within
your budget and learn what is needed to get them fully functional.

I agree that the 4 core New Mac Pro is overpriced for the CPU that comes with that model.
They should have started the pricing at $2,499 or lower for the 4 core model. $3,000 is usually
more than most will spend on a new Mac.

The Asus Deluxe/Quad does give you a lot for the money. Dual TH 2.0 ATX board for $329.
Thanks for the tip kduvernay :thumbup:. The MSR is unlocked on this as well ?
I understand it is not, none of the other Asus series 8 boards are locked. I haven't tested the board yet as I don't have any TB devices and still waiting to see if TB gains popularity and reasonably priced peripherals become available...

Help me find a motherboard to match my selected components (budget: USD 2000) and other suggestions

Thanks for your replies. After reading a lot these days here, I've decided to wait a little more before jumping into a hack, you know, to see how things evolve, at least with the upcoming Mavericks 10.9.2 and support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back