Contribute
Register

Help me figure out the best video kext!

Which kext works the best? (Least lines/artifacts/freezes)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright guys. About done with the new installer which hopefully you all will like.

I am having a difficult time figuring out these graphics problems.

I have 4 different edits of that same kext, and I want you to test for me. I will post a poll, please test all 4, and then select which works best. There are 4 folder in this with a kext in each. Select in the poll which folder containted the best kext.

Please leave a comment below finding results about it all.

Thanks guys!

EDIT: This is for 10.7.2. Please only test if that's what version you are on.

I am still at 10.7.1 and this kext is different at me.
Mine is version 7.4.10 and yours are 7.12.9.
Do you think it matters?

nikstar said:
I am still at 10.7.1 and this kext is different at me.
Mine is version 7.4.10 and yours are 7.12.9.
Do you think it matters?

Sorry, I should I have said. These are kexts for 10.7.2.

I don't really want results from any other version of OS X as there are very many different factors.

Thanks though!

I'll test all 4 kexts and post the results of each in this post and keep re-editing the same post for all 4 then vote at the end.
Kext 1 Some lines No flashes
Kext 2 Some lines and some flashes
Kext 3 Some lines and lost some chunks of the programs and could see the background
Kext 4 some lines, no flashes but it just lost a few chunks of the running program. I'll add a photo shortly.
Also seemed to take an awful long time for the tv to be recognised when I connected hdmi (no big deal though)
Mirroring caused my machine to restart (it's set in energy saver to restart if it freezes) but I didn't think to try mirroring on the other kexts

I couldn't test HDMI

kext1 - no VGA, graphics OK
kext2- no VGA, graphics OK
kext3- VGA, graphics OK, KP on mirroring change
kext4- VGA, graphics OK, blue screen on mirror change

Kext4 was best for my setup.

From the sound of it, that is a vanilla kext, so it would need to be edited for HDMI audio and VGA.

Also might cause the black screen.

@Gerard71 I've noticed quite a few difference in our org.chameleon.boot.plist. Maybe you can explain why you've done what you've done to yours.

First, I noticed that you no longer have

<key>kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</key>

is this necessary? I though we needed that. Please explain.

Second, you didn't include GraphicsEnabler. If I am correct by default this is set to no so if you were going to include it set equal to no than it should make a difference if it's there or not there.

Third, you aren't using kernelcache. Does your boot generally take longer? I noticed way back when that when I didn't use kernelcache it slowed my boot plus sometimes I would get kernel panics.

Thanks for the help!

Inmike09 said:
@Gerard71 I've noticed quite a few difference in our org.chameleon.boot.plist. Maybe you can explain why you've done what you've done to yours.

First, I noticed that you no longer have

<key>kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</key>

is this necessary? I though we needed that. Please explain.

Second, you didn't include GraphicsEnabler. If I am correct by default this is set to no so if you were going to include it set equal to no than it should make a difference if it's there or not there.

Third, you aren't using kernelcache. Does your boot generally take longer? I noticed way back when that when I didn't use kernelcache it slowed my boot plus sometimes I would get kernel panics.

Thanks for the help!

Ill answer as best as I can. 1 is no. 2 is probably the difference. 3 is yes.

Dewitts said:
I'll test all 4 kexts and post the results of each in this post and keep re-editing the same post for all 4 then vote at the end.
Kext 1 Some lines least flashes
Kext 2 Some lines and some flashes
Kext 3 Some lines and lost some chunks of the programs and could see the background
Kext 4 some lines, no flashes but it just lost a few chunks of the running program. I'll add a photo shortly.
Also seemed to take an awful long time for the tv to be recognised when I connected hdmi (no big deal though)
Mirroring caused my machine to restart (it's set in energy saver to restart if it freezes) but I didn't think to try mirroring on the other kexts

Attachments

• IMAG0096.jpg
    IMAG0096.jpg
    447.7 KB · Views: 131
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back