CPU
Intel Core i7 6700k
Graphics
GTX 1060
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello. I want to create a hackintosh that isn't very powerful, because the main thing I will be running is safari and Xcode. It needs to be able to be able to run somewhat basic to intermediate programs coded on the machine. I want a compact and cheap alternative to a mac mini to hopefully display in a maker faire with artificial intelligence. Any tips will help, and this will be my second mackintosh :)

Hello. I want to create a hackintosh that isn't very powerful, because the main thing I will be running is safari and Xcode. It needs to be able to be able to run somewhat basic to intermediate programs coded on the machine. I want a compact and cheap alternative to a mac mini to hopefully display in a maker faire with artificial intelligence. Any tips will help, and this will be my second mackintosh :)

+1 on the Elite 8300. You can also find them with a core I3 or I5 Ivy Bridge CPU to save even more money. Just make sure to get a compatible low profile graphics card for the SFF version. The CMT version can can take full height cards that don't need a 6 pin power connector. Generally the Kepler based Nvidia cards are the best choice for these. See my Elite 8000 description linked to in my sig below for some graphics card ideas. As far as the size of the 8300 SFF case goes, it's only about as big as a standard mATX size HTPC case. It is heavy though as it's made of thick steel. Really well built.

Last edited:
One way to use more powerful video cards that require more power than the built-in power supply can handle is to use something like the ePower EP-450CD. It's not exactly the most elegant solution but it works. Since HP used proprietary power supplies on these systems, this is probably the easiest way to power high end video cards.

cdp-5sp.jpg
cdp-7sp.jpg

The CMT version can can take full height cards that don't need a 6 pin power connector. ... it's only about as big as a standard mATX size HTPC case. It is heavy though as it's made of thick steel. Really well built.

Don't forget the PSU connector - the SFF uses a smaller PSU with the small connector and the GMT, the majority of them, anyway, uses the more standard 24 pin connector and 4 pin EPS connector. Before buying make sure you ionspect them for bulging or pop-corning capacitors, and check for leaking at both the top and bottom of the caps. Over the past few years I've replaced so many that I've lost count; I buy caps in lots of 100 at a time. HP mobos also have this propensity to blow out the second dual channel mem slots, specifically the controller. If you see pop corning caps between the mem slots - run away! Having to replace one or two isn't bad, but when you replace 8, 10 or 12 at a time your rate of success goes precipitously down.

Don't forget the PSU connector - the SFF uses a smaller PSU with the small connector and the GMT, the majority of them, anyway, uses the more standard 24 pin connector and 4 pin EPS connector. Before buying make sure you ionspect them for bulging or pop-corning capacitors, and check for leaking at both the top and bottom of the caps. Over the past few years I've replaced so many that I've lost count; I buy caps in lots of 100 at a time. HP mobos also have this propensity to blow out the second dual channel mem slots, specifically the controller. If you see pop corning caps between the mem slots - run away! Having to replace one or two isn't bad, but when you replace 8, 10 or 12 at a time your rate of success goes precipitously down.
This is why it's best to buy these certified refurbished if possible. Then you've at least got return/refund rights if any of the caps or memory slots are bad. They should be checked before the sale to you by techs of the company selling them. I think that most that buy these refurb HPs will get then via Newegg, Ebay or Amazon so there is no chance to inspect before buying them. If you're lucky enough to find a good local Craig's list deal then you can do a full inspection before buying one.

One way to use more powerful video cards that require more power than the built-in power supply can handle is to use something like the ePower EP-450CD. It's not exactly the most elegant solution but it works. Since HP used proprietary power supplies on these systems, this is probably the easiest way to power high end video cards.

View attachment 206936 View attachment 206937
Where would you put one of these PSUs in the SFF case ? Inside the optical drive bay ? Then run the power cord out the back. Would be easy to fit one inside one of the Mini-towers. Looks like they are also hard to find and not in production anymore.

Last edited:
Where would you put one of these PSUs in the SFF case ? Inside the optical drive bay ? Then run the power cord out the back. Would be easy to fit one inside one of the Mini-towers. Looks like they are also hard to find and not in production anymore.

Yes, it would have to replace the optical drive. Yes, I meant to use it in a mini-tower. Yes, the power cord would have to be routed through the back.

Hmm. You're right. It seems they are no longer being produced. The last time, I looked for one of these, I was looking for a way to circumvent the 225W video card limit on the Mac Pro 1,1-5,1s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back