Contribute
Register

HELP... macOS installer not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
You spent all that money on the parts and didn't even do the most basic research before starting the project ?
See https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/how-to-enter-edit-boot-flags-in-clover.174319/

True, there where things I did not see coming, but don't make me feel bad about it man, I'm trying my best as I work and film. Guess my best isn't as good as I had hoped when it comes to these details... haha. I really do appreciate the help though. I'll let you know how it works out. Wish you the best!

Cheers!

You spent all that money on the parts and didn't even do the most basic research before starting the project ?
See https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/how-to-enter-edit-boot-flags-in-clover.174319/

Hey!

Tried it, still unsuccessful. I'm afraid it might be some BIOS setting that I might have not been able to change? I've attached 3 pics. The MacOS install screen where it freezes, the Verbose Mode screen when it stops and the Boot Args list including the nv_disable=1

I've also tried different ways of creating the USB Boot Drive to see if it might be that. Unibeast, using terminal command on a fresh Mac Os Extended (Journaled) 16GB USB I called "Untitled":

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app --nointeraction

No avail. If you have any other ideas please let me know. I'll try to take what steps you recommend as soon as I can!

Cheers!
I

Attachments

• IMG_0828.jpg
    IMG_0828.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0829.jpg
    IMG_0829.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0830.jpg
    IMG_0830.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 101
If you have any other ideas please let me know.
Try this config.plist.
I have included nv_disable=1 in it so that you don't have to enter it in the Clover menu.

Attachments

• config.plist
    3.6 KB · Views: 207
Try this config.plist.
I have included nv_disable=1 in it so that you don't have to enter it in the Clover menu.

Yes sir! Will try it right away.

Try this config.plist.

Still not working, and this Time the Verbose Mode wen't kind of crazy... I've attached 3 pics of the screen: Verbose Mode when it ended, Verbose Mode when I pressed Enter to see if anything would happen (and it wen't nuts) and then the screen when I disabled Verbose Mode. Went from the Apple logo to the "stop sign".

Attachments

• IMG_0831 (1).jpg
    IMG_0831 (1).jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0832 (1).jpg
    IMG_0832 (1).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0833.jpg
    IMG_0833.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 76
and then the screen when I disabled Verbose Mode. Went from the Apple logo to the "stop sign".

If you think that is a stop sign i don't want to drive with you.
It is what Apple refer to as the Prohibitory symbol.

Don't disable verbose mode - It is the only thing that helps to diagnose the problem.

Waiting.png

"Still waiting for root device".
When booting from USB means that your USB flash drive cannot be found.
This is usually because the flash drive is in a USB3 port.
If this is the case move it to a USB2 port, if it is already in a USB2 port move it to another and try again.
Repeat until you have tried all USB ports.
Use a USB2 flash drive.
If it still doesn't work you could try another flash drive.
You might also try enabling Legacy on your USB3 ports in your BIOS settings.
If you only have USB3 ports try with your USB flash drive in a USB2 hub.
Ensure that Fast Boot is not enabled in your BIOS settings.

Don't disable verbose mode - It is the only thing that helps to diagnose the problem.

View attachment 320951

If this is the case move it to a USB2 port, if it is already in a USB2 port move it to another and try again.
Use a USB2 flash drive.

Hahahaha. No, you don't want to drive with me. I actually get someone else to drive on shoot for me 'cause I both hate and suck at it... haha. Anyways, I will do everything you told me and let you know what happened. I've been putting it into the USB2 port all this Time. Tried it in one of the USB3 ports, but same results. Will check the BIOS and everything else you said later on tonight or tomorrow when I have some more free Time and will get back to you.

Cheers man! And thanks so much!

View attachment 320951

Use a USB2 flash drive.

Hey P1LGRIM!

So, I tried using different USB ports but it still doesn't seem to work. I have been using a USB3 flash drive so perhaps I should just go out and buy a USB2 flash drive. HOWEVER... I did use a USB2 hub with my High Sierra Install USB3 flash drive inserted like you said, and SOMETHING seemed to happen. In Verbose Mode it gave me different info, I've uploaded two picture of the last 2 moments it stops. But then it flashes a lot more text and just restarts the system and I'm sent back to windows if I don't go back to choosing a different boot device. I also tried it without Verbose Mode once to see what was happening: the Apple Logo appears, the progress bar appears, then it fills a little bit, as if it was working! but then the same. It stops and shows me the "Prohibitory Symbol" (/ stop sign haha) and restarts my computer. Fast Boot is enabled. Legacy is enabled. Should I just buy a USB2 flash drive or do you think there might be something simple I'm missing?

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_0835.jpg
    IMG_0835.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0836.jpg
    IMG_0836.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 92
Should I just buy a USB2 flash drive or do you think there might be something simple I'm missing?
It appears that you have successfully circumvented the "Still waiting for root device" issue and your new problem is unrelated to USB, so no I don't think that purchasing a USB2 flash drive will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back