Contribute
Register

[Help] MacOS High Sierra Only Booting To Apple Logo then boots into Windows (Dell Inspiron 15 7000)

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Erasing "disk0s1" and creating "UNTITLED": Erase process has failed. Click Done to continue."

That's from selecting the disk as a whole. Also I wouldn't mind it erasing everything, because everything's already erased anyways (even the Windows install).

The disk is grayed out under "Internal" but lets me select it. I'll attach a screenshot.

(Some screenshots are attached)

Attachments

• pictures of failure that will turn into success.zip
    14.1 MB · Views: 103
"Erasing "disk0s1"

Wrong. disk0s1 is a partition (and is the EFI partition).
You need to erase disk0.

The disk is grayed out under "Internal" but lets me select it.

Use the "View" dropdown so you can see what you're actually doing.

Wrong. disk0s1 is a partition (and is the EFI partition).
You need to erase disk0.

Use the "View" dropdown so you can see what you're actually doing.
I stand corrected, thanks Rehabman. Erasing the disk worked. Now to create my partitions, do I want to select the disk as a whole ("Micron 1100 SATA 256GB Media') and click "Partition" or do I want to select the "Untitled" below that and then click Partition for that one? Or is selecting either one still going to end up doing the same thing (partitioning the SSD as a whole)

Last edited:
I stand corrected, thanks Rehabman. Erasing the disk worked. Now to create my partitions, do I want to select the disk as a whole ("Micron 1100 SATA 256GB Media') and click "Partition" or do I want to select the "Untitled" below that and then click Partition for that one? Or is selecting either one still going to end up doing the same thing (partitioning the SSD as a whole)

You can only partition a disk.

You can only partition a disk.

Yep, realized that now and am very happy to share that I successfully installed macOS on the laptop now. Thank you so much RehabMan and AGuyWhoIsBored!

How to Install
In all cases, FakePCIID.kext must be installed with a kext installer (such as Kext Wizard). The Release build should be used for normal installs. It has a minimum of output to system.log. For troubleshooting, the Debug build can be used.
Does this mean that FakePCIID can't be put in my Clover/Kexts/Other folder as an "essential kext" (I need it for my WiFi)? Or can it still be put there? Also RehabMan, where can I find the correct links to your various kexts? Is https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan the right place?
Hopefully that will help!
-Duncan

Duncan, is there any way to improve the trackpad since it's so slow right now? Also do you use VooDooPS2Controller or what do you use for your keyboard (like do your FN keys work? mine don't do anything yet; maybe it's the DDST I haven't gotten to do yet as I'm still waiting for my other hard drive to come in)

Does this mean that FakePCIID can't be put in my Clover/Kexts/Other folder as an "essential kext" (I need it for my WiFi)? Or can it still be put there? Also RehabMan, where can I find the correct links to your various kexts? Is https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan the right place?

Duncan, is there any way to improve the trackpad since it's so slow right now? Also do you use VooDooPS2Controller or what do you use for your keyboard (like do your FN keys work? mine don't do anything yet; maybe it's the DDST I haven't gotten to do yet as I'm still waiting for my other hard drive to come in)

I personally use FakePCIID in my /Clover/Kexts/Other, along with a lot of other kexts, but I'm aware of the fact that it's highly recommended to put it in S/L/E, but it does work for me.

If you're using the ApplePS2SmartTouchpad.kext (it's an ELAN driver and the trackpad is ELAN), I'm pretty sure you can change the trackpad speed either in System Preferences (if the prefpane loads), or in the Info.plist that resides inside the kext

VoodooPS2Controller can only emulate ELAN trackpad support, as it's mainly a Synaptics driver. Most of my Fn keys work, and it's pretty easy to configure them.

-Duncan

p.s. I recently posted my guide on how to install macOS on this laptop, maybe you want to check it out! :D
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...7-and-similar-near-full-functionality.234988/

Last edited:
I personally use FakePCIID in my /Clover/Kexts/Other, along with a lot of other kexts, but I'm aware of the fact that it's highly recommended to put it in S/L/E, but it does work for me.

If you're using the ApplePS2SmartTouchpad.kext (it's an ELAN driver and the trackpad is ELAN), I'm pretty sure you can change the trackpad speed either in System Preferences (if the prefpane loads), or in the Info.plist that resides inside the kext

VoodooPS2Controller can only emulate ELAN trackpad support, as it's mainly a Synaptics driver. Most of my Fn keys work, and it's pretty easy to configure them.

-Duncan

p.s. I recently posted my guide on how to install macOS on this laptop, maybe you want to check it out! :D
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...7-and-similar-near-full-functionality.234988/
Nice! I'm also almost done making my own guide as well, but just still have work to do getting these kinks worked out. I'm really happy you released yours! Someone in this thread said he needed it so hopefully he'll see you posted it.

And yeah, well from what I understand there are some people who think S/L/E is better and others who think EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other is better. As one moderator puts it,
There is some debate about the "best" place to put kexts, as you have surely noticed. They generally just need to be in one, and generally having them in in both Extensions and EFI doesn't hurt, except insofar as you can confuse yourself by putting a new version in the place that's not being used or whatever. If you have copies in both, which gets used depends on the InjectKexts setting in your config.plist.
So I have two questions, and don't worry, at least on my end this is a "judgement-free" zone.
1) Do you install any kexts to System/Library/Extensions, or all to Clover/Kexts/Other?
2) Would you do me a favor and if the answer to #1 is "no", could you go to your System/Library/Extensions folder and tell me if FakeSMC or any of the other kexts I mention here are in there? I can explain why in a sec.

Thanks!

Nice! I'm also almost done making my own guide as well, but just still have work to do getting these kinks worked out. I'm really happy you released yours! Someone in this thread said he needed it so hopefully he'll see you posted it.

And yeah, well from what I understand there are some people who think S/L/E is better and others who think EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other is better. As one moderator puts it,

So I have two questions, and don't worry, at least on my end this is a "judgement-free" zone.
1) Do you install any kexts to System/Library/Extensions, or all to Clover/Kexts/Other?
2) Would you do me a favor and if the answer to #1 is "no", could you go to your System/Library/Extensions folder and tell me if FakeSMC or any of the other kexts I mention here are in there? I can explain why in a sec.

Thanks!

Looking forward to seeing that guide! :D

1) I personally install most of my kexts to /Clover/Kexts/Other (as in my opinion it makes the system more "native"), but there are also some kexts that I need to install to S/L/E, such as my AppleHDA dummy injector (as that needs to be installed in /S/L/E as I'm aware).

2) I checked the thread and there shouldn't've been any kexts in there when you installed macOS, and I only really added Lilu and IntelGraphicsFixup to there.

-Duncan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back