Contribute
Register

[Help] MacOS High Sierra Only Booting To Apple Logo then boots into Windows (Dell Inspiron 15 7000)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you write your guide already?? I really need it.
a) I've had my laptop fully running with macOS for a few weeks now! I actually have ~99% functionality, and may release a guide on how to install macOS on here :lol::thumbup:

b) See here: https://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Fixing-DSDT ("Setting for NewWay patching")
You can also set this flag when in the Clover boot loader menu by pressing "o", and then navigating to ACPI Patching -> DSDT Fix Mask -> FixHeaders. You can also set other DSDT fixes here, but you don't want to include ones that aren't necessary.

c) For boot flags, you can a) type them in when you go to options (press "o") and press enter where it says "boot-args" (pretty self explanatory), or you can press spacebar when you have the installer partition highlighted, and there will be an option to "boot with verbose".

Hopefully that helped!

-Duncan

The image "IMG_1924.PNG" implies you're not able to reach Clover (Clover itself is hanging).
Is that the case?
I didn't download the gigantic file.
Hey RehabMan, no that isn't the case. Clover itself is booting just fine as far as I can tell and I hate to say it but if you download the bigger file you can see exactly what my problem is because it's a video of me trying to boot (booting into clover isn't a problem at all, it's trying to boot to the install MacOS X from that).
I will try using a different version of it then and reporting back to you -- isn't VoodooPS2 just a keyboard controller kext though? In which case I would still be able to boot into the installer just fine, I just wouldn't be able to control anything? My problem is that when Clover goes to boot into the installer the Apple logo pops up for a second but then the screen blinks off and the laptop reboots into the Dell/Windows environment. (Also I am already guessing that I AM wrong about that, especially by reading the High Sierra link you gave me, but I would just like to learn the reason why. Thanks again as always RehabMan and any other helpers!)

Last edited:
Changing the Voodoo2PS2.kext to RehabMan's newer version made the Apple logo at least stay for a little while and load a little, but it still ended up crashing, giving me a sign on the screen like "forbidden" (the sign you would see for "no smoking" but without a cigarette inside of it). Then I changed FakeSMC from the one on the downloads page to the one from RehabMan's BitBucket and I added USBInjectAll.Kext, and it finally worked and booted into the installer, though took forever to do it.

In order to see whether it was USBInjectAll or the changed FakeSMC that made the difference I exited the installer, plugged the USB back into the Mac and switched it back to the old FakeSMC. That one worked as well but I decided at this point to
change all the old .kexts I'd downloaded from the tonymacx86 downloads page to RehabMan's BitBucket versions, with the exception of RealTek8111.kext. So far seems to be going solid! Booting into the installer took forever each time that it worked but at least it's progress.

Also a question for RehabMan (or whoever wants to answer), if when I ejected the USB from the MacBook one of those times it said EFI was having a problem ejecting and it eventually just disappeared (so I guess it ejected), am I OK or am I better off redoing the USB from scratch to make sure nothing got corrupted? It still booted into the installer fine without redoing it from scratch, but you know I'm one to ask questions.

Thanks,
Kyler

Edit: Ok in a dilemma now. So I booted the installer, and went to format the disk in disk utility but all that pops up is my USB drive in "External" with 16.08 GB and "Apple disk image" under "Disk Images" but that's only 2.15 GB total with a "OS X Base System" under that (again, of like 2 GB). I decided to hit "Setup OSX" instead but only got as far as "Select the disk where you want to install macOS", cus again, there's only one disk showing, and that's the USB drive itself.

Any ideas? (I know I worried about the thing above but I'm pretty positive this isn't from that or it never would have booted into Setup to begin with).

Last edited:
Edit: Ok in a dilemma now. So I booted the installer, and went to format the disk in disk utility but all that pops up is my USB drive in "External" with 16.08 GB and "Apple disk image" under "Disk Images" but that's only 2.15 GB total with a "OS X Base System" under that (again, of like 2 GB). I decided to hit "Setup OSX" instead but only got as far as "Select the disk where you want to install macOS", cus again, there's only one disk showing, and that's the USB drive itself.

Any ideas? (I know I worried about the thing above but I'm pretty positive this isn't from that or it never would have booted into Setup to begin with).

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Changing the Voodoo2PS2.kext to RehabMan's newer version made the Apple logo at least stay for a little while and load a little, but it still ended up crashing, giving me a sign on the screen like "forbidden" (the sign you would see for "no smoking" but without a cigarette inside of it). Then I changed FakeSMC from the one on the downloads page to the one from RehabMan's BitBucket and I added USBInjectAll.Kext, and it finally worked and booted into the installer, though took forever to do it.

In order to see whether it was USBInjectAll or the changed FakeSMC that made the difference I exited the installer, plugged the USB back into the Mac and switched it back to the old FakeSMC. That one worked as well but I decided at this point to
change all the old .kexts I'd downloaded from the tonymacx86 downloads page to RehabMan's BitBucket versions, with the exception of RealTek8111.kext. So far seems to be going solid! Booting into the installer took forever each time that it worked but at least it's progress.

Also a question for RehabMan (or whoever wants to answer), if when I ejected the USB from the MacBook one of those times it said EFI was having a problem ejecting and it eventually just disappeared (so I guess it ejected), am I OK or am I better off redoing the USB from scratch to make sure nothing got corrupted? It still booted into the installer fine without redoing it from scratch, but you know I'm one to ask questions.

Thanks,
Kyler

You may need to look into using "SATA-100-series-unsupported.kext" (or the 200 series variant) to have your internal drive recognized. See here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

Hopefully that will help!

-Duncan

You may need to look into using "SATA-100-series-unsupported.kext" (or the 200 series variant) to have your internal drive recognized. See here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

Hopefully that will help!

-Duncan
I threw in that kext and the SSD appeared finally. It was in 5 partitions which I think implied it was MBR so I converted it to GPT under diskpart (using the Windows installer USB) and reformatted it. Now I'm in the macOS installer (I never installed Windows, just used the USB to use diskpart) but when I try to erase this disk or even just to partition it into 4 partitions (a multi-boot system) it says "Running operation 1 of 7: Erase "Untitled"... Unmounting disk, MediaKit reports not enough space on device for requested operation. Operation failed..." Any operation fails, many say there's no space even though there's clearly tons of space there as the disk is entirely empty. It says that the capacity is 256.06 GB but that available is "Zero KB". It's also not mounted but it won't let me mount at all (clicking Mount simply does nothing).

Thoughts?

I threw in that kext and the SSD appeared finally. It was in 5 partitions which I think implied it was MBR so I converted it to GPT under diskpart and reformatted it. Now I'm in the installer but when I try to erase this disk or even just to partition it into 4 partitions (a multi-boot system) it says "Running operation 1 of 7: Erase "Untitled"... Unmounting disk, MediaKit reports not enough space on device for requested operation. Operation failed..." Even though there's clearly tons of space there as the disk is entirely empty.

Thoughts?

You need to completely repartition the disk in Disk Utility.

You need to completely repartition the disk in Disk Utility.
I am trying to, but with every operation I try it fails.
It says that the capacity is 256.06 GB but that [the available space] is "Zero KB". It's also not mounted but it won't let me mount at all (clicking Mount simply does nothing).

I am trying to, but with every operation I try it fails.

In Disk Utiltiy within the macOS installer, select the disk itself (not a partition of the disk), the click 'Erase'.
Keep in mind repartitioning will erase everything, including any Windows install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back