Contribute
Register

[Help] MacOS High Sierra Only Booting To Apple Logo then boots into Windows (Dell Inspiron 15 7000)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97N-Wifi
CPU
Core i5 4590
Graphics
Nvidia GTX 1060 / Intel 4600HD
Hello everyone. I was hoping someone could help me get the actual installer to load. Clover pops up when I put the USB in and when I pick "Install macOS High Sierra from..." the Apple logo pops up with the loading indicator under it implying it will load the installer, but after about 2 seconds it boots into the Dell Logo and then Windows. I want to get into the actual install so I can set up Mac on here.
My Dell Inspiron 15-7000 Specifications
CPU
: i5 7300HQ
Graphics: HD 630 + Nvidia GTX 1050Ti (4Gb); Nvidia Optimus DOES come on this laptop
Wifi/BT: BCM94352Z (this is still on its way in the mail)
Screen: 1080p, 15.6" IPS display
RAM: 8 Gb DDR4 RAM
Storage: 256Gb pre-installed Micron SSD (M2 but SATA speed) + a 1tb harddrive that's still on its way in the mail
BIOS: 01.00.05, 3/1/2017

I followed the steps on the laptop guide (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/) all the way through kexts and config.plist and used the following kexts: FakeSMC.kext, VoodooPS2Controller.kext, Lilu.kext, IntelGraphicsFixup.kext, and RealtekRTL8111.kext and the HFSPlus.efi and the afps.efi. The config.plist I used was https://raw.githubusercontent.com/R...fig/master/config_HD615_620_630_640_650.plist. I used the CreateInstallMedia and so far that appeared to work great.

I have referred to the https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...tan-hackintosh-dual-boot-with-windows.196138/ and https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...e-i7-6700hq-intel-hd-530-using-clover.191921/ guides for inspiration, but while those computers have similar/the same name they have different specifications and even appear differently externally. The RAM, CPU, and Graphics Card(s) are all different and so the BIOS updates available online are different too as well as the BIOS that came on here (so the BIOS itself is entirely different).

They mention to disable Firmware TPM in the BIOS but there is no such option in the BIOS I have (and remember, my BIOS is different as the laptop is different). Many of the other BIOS options form their guides were there so I applied the following tweaks:

· First restored the BIOS defaults (Click “Restore Settings” and then under “Available Configurations” select “BIOS Defaults”). Then:

· Under System Configuration > SATA Operation, made sure it was set to AHCI.

· Under Secure Boot > Secure Boot Enable, made sure the setting for Secure Boot Enable was set to “Disabled”.

· Under Power Management > Advanced Battery Charge Configuration, made sure “Enable Advanced Battery Charge Mode” was NOT checked (made sure that it was disabled).

· Under Virtualization Support > VT for Direct I/O, made sure that “Enable VT for Direct I/O” was NOT checked (made sure that it was disabled).

· Under SupportAssist System Resolution > SupportAssist OS Recovery, made sure that “SupportAssist OS Recovery” was NOT checked (make sure that it was disabled).

· Under General > Advanced Boot Options, it was mentioned it MIGHT help to “Enable Legacy Option ROMs”. I left this disabled, because to my knowledge I'm not using anything Legacy, but some experienced users recommend enabling that.

Lastly, I have not done anything with the DVMT-prealloc or disabling the graphics card other than what is already done in RehabMan's config.plist. I don't know how to use the DVMT-prealloc without messing up my UEFI as it's not available as a BIOS option (I read somewhere that someone with an older version of this laptop wrecked their laptop by trying to set it in the UEFI terminal) and I'm open to hearing your suggestions and trying them out. I really want to get this up and booted and I have followed the guide as diligently as I can. Like I said, feel free to suggest.

Thanks,
Kyler

Hello everyone. I was hoping someone could help me get the actual installer to load. Clover pops up when I put the USB in and when I pick "Install macOS High Sierra from..." the Apple logo pops up with the loading indicator under it implying it will load the installer, but after about 2 seconds it boots into the Dell Logo and then Windows. I want to get into the actual install so I can set up Mac on here.
My Dell Inspiron 15-7000 Specifications
CPU
: i5 7300HQ
Graphics: HD 630 + Nvidia GTX 1050Ti (4Gb); Nvidia Optimus DOES come on this laptop
Wifi/BT: BCM94352Z (this is still on its way in the mail)
Screen: 1080p, 15.6" IPS display
RAM: 8 Gb DDR4 RAM
Storage: 256Gb pre-installed Micron SSD (M2 but SATA speed) + a 1tb harddrive that's still on its way in the mail
BIOS: 01.00.05, 3/1/2017

I followed the steps on the laptop guide (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/) all the way through kexts and config.plist and used the following kexts: FakeSMC.kext, VoodooPS2Controller.kext, Lilu.kext, IntelGraphicsFixup.kext, and RealtekRTL8111.kext and the HFSPlus.efi and the afps.efi. The config.plist I used was https://raw.githubusercontent.com/R...fig/master/config_HD615_620_630_640_650.plist. I used the CreateInstallMedia and so far that appeared to work great.

I have referred to the https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...tan-hackintosh-dual-boot-with-windows.196138/ and https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...e-i7-6700hq-intel-hd-530-using-clover.191921/ guides for inspiration, but while those computers have similar/the same name they have different specifications and even appear differently externally. The RAM, CPU, and Graphics Card(s) are all different and so the BIOS updates available online are different too as well as the BIOS that came on here (so the BIOS itself is entirely different).

They mention to disable Firmware TPM in the BIOS but there is no such option in the BIOS I have (and remember, my BIOS is different as the laptop is different). Many of the other BIOS options form their guides were there so I applied the following tweaks:

· First restored the BIOS defaults (Click “Restore Settings” and then under “Available Configurations” select “BIOS Defaults”). Then:

· Under System Configuration > SATA Operation, made sure it was set to AHCI.

· Under Secure Boot > Secure Boot Enable, made sure the setting for Secure Boot Enable was set to “Disabled”.

· Under Power Management > Advanced Battery Charge Configuration, made sure “Enable Advanced Battery Charge Mode” was NOT checked (made sure that it was disabled).

· Under Virtualization Support > VT for Direct I/O, made sure that “Enable VT for Direct I/O” was NOT checked (made sure that it was disabled).

· Under SupportAssist System Resolution > SupportAssist OS Recovery, made sure that “SupportAssist OS Recovery” was NOT checked (make sure that it was disabled).

· Under General > Advanced Boot Options, it was mentioned it MIGHT help to “Enable Legacy Option ROMs”. I left this disabled, because to my knowledge I'm not using anything Legacy, but some experienced users recommend enabling that.

Lastly, I have not done anything with the DVMT-prealloc or disabling the graphics card other than what is already done in RehabMan's config.plist. I don't know how to use the DVMT-prealloc without messing up my UEFI as it's not available as a BIOS option (I read somewhere that someone with an older version of this laptop wrecked their laptop by trying to set it in the UEFI terminal) and I'm open to hearing your suggestions and trying them out. I really want to get this up and booted and I have followed the guide as diligently as I can. Like I said, feel free to suggest.

Thanks,
Kyler

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Here it is. I read your Problem Reporting section several times, but please let me know if I still did something wrong and I'll try to fix it ASAP.

(I clicked all the FN keys and everything, but if it was supposed to generate a file I'm not sure if it did. Clover did pause for a second and not let me navigate each time I hit the F2 then F4, but I also remember it saying on the boot screen "Note: Clover can only write to FAT32 Partitions" and I was pretty sure the USB is formatted as HFS as per all the guides' instructions. I also wasn't exactly sure what "Boot verbose" meant, so I attached both a picture and a video of it booting in the .zip file. I uploaded a copy of the .zip without the video just in case the original .zip was too large for you).

As for Patchmatic and the IOReg, both of those either refer to usr/ folders or having an already existing setup, which didn't seem to apply here as neither Clover nor macOS is even installed on the computer yet (both are just on the USB).

Without further ado, here goes.

Thanks again as always, in advance.

Attachments

• Problem Reporting.zip
    62.4 MB · Views: 240
  • Problem Reporting Without Video.zip
    6 MB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Here it is. I read your Problem Reporting section several times, but please let me know if I still did something wrong and I'll try to fix it ASAP.

(I clicked all the FN keys and everything, but if it was supposed to generate a file I'm not sure if it did. Clover did pause for a second and not let me navigate each time I hit the F2 then F4, but I also remember it saying on the boot screen "Note: Clover can only write to FAT32 Partitions" and I was pretty sure the USB is formatted as HFS as per all the guides' instructions. I also wasn't exactly sure what "Boot verbose" meant, so I attached both a picture and a video of it booting in the .zip file).

As for Patchmatic and the IOReg, both of those either refer to usr/ folders or having an already existing setup, which didn't seem to apply here as neither Clover nor macOS is even installed on the computer yet (both are just on the USB).

Boot with verbose (-v) and tell us where it stops / kernel panics (I'm assuming it's kernel panicking because it restarts). If it restarts, use the Clover flag that states "Don't restart on panic" (I forgot what the flag actually was :lol:)...You'll see it if you press spacebar when you have your installer partition highlighted in Clover.

Since I have the same model of laptop you do (I'm assuming you have the Inspiron 15 7567, although I have slightly different hardware), try seeing if the "FixHeaders_20000000" "DSDT Fix" works for you, as if I remember correctly this fixed also helped me get to the installer. :thumbup:

Hope that helped!

-Duncan

Since I have the same model of laptop you do (I'm assuming you have the Inspiron 15 7567, although I have slightly different hardware), try seeing if the "FixHeaders_20000000" "DSDT Fix" works for you, as if I remember correctly this fixed also helped me get to the installer. :thumbup:

Wow, I'm amazed at how quickly you responded and also it makes me so happy to see someone else with the same laptop as me! It seems like you have nearly the same version (the new one, but not the new new one with the tinier battery and the 1060), just a better processor and maybe different hard drives then.

So do you have your laptop fully working with macOS? If so that gives me a lot more inspiration that the job can be done!

Back on topic, where is this
"FixHeaders_20000000" "DSDT Fix"
you refer to? A link and/or explanation would be highly appreciated.

Boot with verbose (-v) and tell us where it stops / kernel panics (I'm assuming it's kernel panicking because it restarts). If it restarts, use the Clover flag that states "Don't restart on panic" (I forgot what the flag actually was :lol:)...You'll see it if you press spacebar when you have your installer partition highlighted in Clover.

Please forgive me if I sound stupid, but how can I boot with verbose (I understand it's using -v but where/when do I type that)? I'm guessing that I use that flag in the same line as the booting with verbose one. Do I need to reattach a log once I do that?

Again, please forgive me if I sound uninformed, this actually isn't my first Hackintosh nor my first time using Clover but it's just been a while and before, it was with computers I built so obviously a bit easier.

Thank you so much for your help, it means a lot!

Wow, I'm amazed at how quickly you responded and also it makes me so happy to see someone else with the same laptop as me! It seems like you have nearly the same version (the new one, but not the new new one with the tinier battery and the 1060), just a better processor and maybe different hard drives then.

So do you have your laptop fully working with macOS? If so that gives me a lot more inspiration that the job can be done!

Back on topic, where is this you refer to? A link and/or explanation would be highly appreciated.

Please forgive me if I sound stupid, but how can I boot with verbose (I understand it's using -v but where/when do I type that)? I'm guessing that I use that flag in the same line as the booting with verbose one. Do I need to reattach a log once I do that?

Again, please forgive me if I sound uninformed, this actually isn't my first Hackintosh nor my first time using Clover but it's just been a while and before, it was with computers I built so obviously a bit easier.

Thank you so much for your help, it means a lot!

a) I've had my laptop fully running with macOS for a few weeks now! I actually have ~99% functionality, and may release a guide on how to install macOS on here :lol::thumbup:

b) See here: https://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Fixing-DSDT ("Setting for NewWay patching")
You can also set this flag when in the Clover boot loader menu by pressing "o", and then navigating to ACPI Patching -> DSDT Fix Mask -> FixHeaders. You can also set other DSDT fixes here, but you don't want to include ones that aren't necessary.

c) For boot flags, you can a) type them in when you go to options (press "o") and press enter where it says "boot-args" (pretty self explanatory), or you can press spacebar when you have the installer partition highlighted, and there will be an option to "boot with verbose".

Hopefully that helped!

-Duncan

a) I've had my laptop fully running with macOS for a few weeks now! I actually have ~99% functionality, and may release a guide on how to install macOS on here :lol::thumbup:

b) See here: https://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Fixing-DSDT ("Setting for NewWay patching")
You can also set this flag when in the Clover boot loader menu by pressing "o", and then navigating to ACPI Patching -> DSDT Fix Mask -> FixHeaders. You can also set other DSDT fixes here, but you don't want to include ones that aren't necessary.

c) For boot flags, you can a) type them in when you go to options (press "o") and press enter where it says "boot-args" (pretty self explanatory), or you can press spacebar when you have the installer partition highlighted, and there will be an option to "boot with verbose".

Hopefully that helped!

-Duncan
Thank you so much Duncan. I'm going to try the tips you mentioned and report back here with how they go!

I've had my laptop fully running with macOS for a few weeks now! I actually have ~99% functionality, and may release a guide on how to install macOS on here :lol::thumbup:
Please do, it would be so appreciated! Hopefully you won't mind me releasing one too if/once I get this working (; Please still release yours though as believe it or not having more than one helps a lot (case in point, the two different guides for the older version of our laptop with the 960M).

Releasing a guide would be awesome, and like I said I'm going to go try those tips (; Thank you so much Duncan.

So somehow the ACPI patch for the DDST was already applied (I went to apply it and it was already checked). I turned on boot verbose and don't reboot on panic in the options by hitting space bar on Install OSX and selecting the options and then selecting boot MacOS with the selected options, and then it just spewed out a bunch of lines (yay!) but ended in the line "Please go to https://panic.apple.com to report this panic" and stopped there. I'm attaching a picture / video of the boot verbose.

What now?

Attachments

• BootVerbose.zip
    77.4 MB · Views: 249
  • BootVerbose (Without Video).zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 113

(I clicked all the FN keys and everything, but if it was supposed to generate a file I'm not sure if it did. Clover did pause for a second and not let me navigate each time I hit the F2 then F4, but I also remember it saying on the boot screen "Note: Clover can only write to FAT32 Partitions" and I was pretty sure the USB is formatted as HFS as per all the guides' instructions. I also wasn't exactly sure what "Boot verbose" meant, so I attached both a picture and a video of it booting in the .zip file. I uploaded a copy of the .zip without the video just in case the original .zip was too large for you).

The image "IMG_1924.PNG" implies you're not able to reach Clover (Clover itself is hanging).
Is that the case?
I didn't download the gigantic file.

So somehow the ACPI patch for the DDST was already applied (I went to apply it and it was already checked). I turned on boot verbose and don't reboot on panic in the options by hitting space bar on Install OSX and selecting the options and then selecting boot MacOS with the selected options, and then it just spewed out a bunch of lines (yay!) but ended in the line "Please go to https://panic.apple.com to report this panic" and stopped there. I'm attaching a picture / video of the boot verbose.

What now?

Your panic report shows you're using the wrong version of VoodooPS2Controller.kext.
Read here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/readme-common-problems-in-10-13-high-sierra.233582/

or here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back