Contribute
Register

HELP? Mac OS 10.13.3 UniBeast stuck on (Installing Boot-loader) and more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Motherboard OR System/Laptop make and model names > See Forum Rules!
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
GT 640
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey everybody...

As the title states I am trying to create a 10.13.3 bootable flash drive.

What I am using...
8 GB USB 2.0 Flashdrive Formated to GUID.
2015 MacBook Air
Latest version of UniBeast and 10.13.3 downloaded from the app store.

Kinda lost on this one. Im sure its something simple. smh

All of this for trying to update my Ivy Bridge Hackintosh.

I have got the same problem, I'm using 16 gb usb
Screen Shot 2018-02-11 at 17.39.38.png

same problem. please guide me :(

For me, the key was to use Terminal to input the command below, as mentioned in the link in post #3 above.
The USB flash drive must have its "s1" EFI partition formatted as FAT32 (or "msdos") because (I have read elsewhere) UEFI firmware defaults to that format, and apparently it just doesn't "like" HFS format for that partition. Paraphrasing the instruction: "add a new filesystem for the EFI partition on your USB flash drive, by typing in the Terminal command below." After doing that, I was able to complete the Unibeast app. Remember that "rdisk2s1" worked for me because my USB flash drive was "disk2." You need to be sure to pick the correct disk number for your USB drive (as shown in Disk Utility) and alter the command line to match, if necessary.

For format as Fat32 use command like:
sudo newfs_msdos -v EFI -F 32 /dev/rdisk2s1

Last edited:
USB sticks formatted as GPT in Disk Utility always formats the stick properly. That is why the UniBeast method always recommends formatting the stick in macOS.

USB sticks formatted as GPT in Disk Utility always formats the stick properly. That is why the UniBeast method always recommends formatting the stick in macOS.

No question that partition "s2" wants to be (and is) formatted as GPT. But the EFI partition ("s1") does NOT want to be formatted as HFS, at least my copy of Unibeast 8.2.0 failed at "installing boot loader" for the reason that I discussed above. Please note that I did use Disk Utility to format the USB as GPT prior to attempting Unibeast. I covered (in my link and also above) why that didn't work.

...and that is as it should be, but this time for me it didn't, or else it just didn't format it at all. I got the error message I mentioned in my thread when I tried running Unibeast, and fixed it by sending that Terminal command to format s1 as ms-dos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back