Contribute
Register

[Help] - Kernel Panic trying to boot El Capitan

Status
Not open for further replies.

thanks, I'll try that. But now I have another question. I tryed to install osx on another drive, an old ssd crucial m4. Now, install is ok, but then, when I try to boot on clover installed on that disk (both legacy and uefi mode, I tryed several times), it start booting and then computer just reboot. If I start with clover from another disk or from usb, with identical content (same config, dsdt and kexts) it boots normally, but no matter what I install on this drive, it doesn't boot. what can it be?

thanks, I'll try that. But now I have another question. I tryed to install osx on another drive, an old ssd crucial m4. Now, install is ok, but then, when I try to boot on clover installed on that disk (both legacy and uefi mode, I tryed several times), it start booting and then computer just reboot. If I start with clover from another disk or from usb, with identical content (same config, dsdt and kexts) it boots normally, but no matter what I install on this drive, it doesn't boot. what can it be?

Difference is in the Clover setup.

Difference is in the Clover setup.

what do you mean? on both drives I used post install tools, so the result should be the same. I also manually copied the same config.plist, dsdt, ssdt, and kext. It doesn't kernel panic, the apple appears, and then it reboots.

Hi there, could you share how you did installed the El Captain on G74SX because I have the same laptop but I cant install it.

Hi there, could you share how you did installed the El Captain on G74SX because I have the same laptop but I cant install it.

If i get a system stable enough, i'll try to sort out a guide. Just at the moment everything is on trial. Anyway I used a normal usb pendrive made with unibeast to install it.

what do you mean? on both drives I used post install tools, so the result should be the same. I also manually copied the same config.plist, dsdt, ssdt, and kext. It doesn't kernel panic, the apple appears, and then it reboots.

You should verify they are the same...

You should verify they are the same...

Well, I think the problem was I put too many kexts in /efi/clover/kexts. about efi boot, problem remains (just with 1 hd, quite odd, the other works), but putting just a few kexts in that folder solved legacy boot, at least. Lesson number 1 learnet: you can't put all your kexts in kext folder. Now I want to explore how clover injection works, to patch as much kexts as possible on the fly. If you can suggest me some guides it would be very helpful to start.
First of all I want to try to patch applehda on the fly, it would be a huge step forward!

thanks again for all your tips!

What kext did you use for the nvidia, come on share some info.

I had some stability issues before installing nvidia drivers, but after that, system is really stable. The only problems I have to solve now are:

- I modified DSDT and usb 2.0 ports now work. I have to try to inject usb 3 fresco logic port, but for this I have to study the post linked by rehabman.
- I installed in /EFI/CLOVER/KEXTS/10.11 just those kexts which won't be updated with a system update. keep in mind that I changed my wifi half mini pci express wifi/BT card with another (BCM94352 HMB), so maybe you'll need something different for your system wifi / BT
- I didn't install all other kexts I used in Yosemite until now, because I'll try to make some patches to modify them on the fly. I have a perfectly working applehda.kext, for example, but I want to create a patch, so I won't need to install kexts each time. So at the moment I have no sound.
- I have an issue in shutting down. I have no idea if installing all the kexts still missing would solve the problem, or if it is somewhere else. Anyway when restarting system it restarts. When shutting down, display goes black, but keyboard stays with backlight on and system won't shut. In Yosemite I hadn't this issue.

regarding kexts, apart FakeSMC, which is last released with MultiBeast, keep in mind that I think they are way too many, and some of them are in double copy, so install at your own risk. of course avoid nvidia kexts in these packages, because they are for 10.10.1.

Have to say that, apart discovering clover, which is quite fascinating and with great potential, I have some doubts about upgrading to El Capitan, because system in Yosemite was really, really stable and enjoyable. I am curious about metal, and I certainly was able to score a little bit better in novabench for GPU. But USB 3 port not working sucks, really. So if won't be possible to solve this, I will consider just to stop at Yosemite. It is a laptop 5 years old. It still scores high in benchmarks, but in the end it served me well till now, and maybe I'll change it soon. My work has changed, my need changed as well, and I need something more portable, and more than that, with a stylus and pressure levels. So, curiosity apart, which is indeed a strong motivation, I don't see the point to need to upgrade to El Capitan right now.
Off topic, I am really curious about surface book, but I am very afraid it won't be hackintoshable, especially the GPU powered one.

I'll keep you updated in any step forward!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back