Contribute
Register

HELP!!! Kernel Panic after installing macOS Catalina (Mojave Backup boots normally)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@originalmagneto I'm trying to update to Catalina 10.15.1 (from Mojave) but I always get stuck at this KP, how did you fix it?

Honestly, I don’t know. First, try to disable SATA controller in BIOS and see if your system boots. Unfortunately, if you don’t have a system that is on a NVME or AHCI SSD, this wont work.

However, try booting into recovery (Catalina recovery), get a fresh Catalina install (no update) into a separate partition. make sure it boots properly. Turn on Time machine backups. Local time machine backups must be active. There is a terminal command that checks if there are any local time machine backups on your system. Usually, the system makes one every hour. Wait until this local backup is done. Then, use the migration assistant and try to migrate your user folder into the fresh Catalina install. Try rebooting. If you manage to get a boot, wait for an hour until the local Backup is made.

I forgot to mention, that I have the 0x0 in RTvariables so full SIP enabled after I made sure the system is bootable.

Man I'm stuck here too. Driving me crazy.

I did notice however that there are two in mine:

Recap: Booting with SATA port enabled (unoccupied as well) causes Fault CR2. Below is what comes up.

Kernal Extensions in backtrace:
com.apple.iokit. I0AHCIfamily
com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIport

I'm going to try pulling both from my MBP, changing the version numbers in info.plist so they load first, and throwing them in L/E.

@CaseySJ hey homie, got any advice for this? On the right track?

Actually, i deleted all of them because that folder only consist of third party kexts.
but the problem was related to some kind of ahci kext which was also included in multibeast

This actually saved me from a big headache!

I had (for a very little no) the very same KP. Then disabled SATA controller from BIOS and discovered Catalina running on my PC, but Only with my NVMe drive. With this discovery I can use all my data stored in my HDDs/SSDs.

Thank you very much!

Remove SATAHotPlug kext from L/E there is way too many .kext there and some might be giving that KP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back