i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
[UPDATE]

Got the entire system working with RX 580, dual monitor with lilu/Whatevergreen. Using DP ports.

BUT my HD3000 iGPU is not supported in Mojave, and my System Def 14,2 leverages the iGPU in a real iMac for some things like HD streaming in iTunes and quick preview for jogs. I fixed the quick preview with a boot arg added to config file, and it works BUT...

I would like to know if I can somehow spoof the HD3000 to a supported iGPU, set it in headless mode and get it to behave more like a real Mac?

Other suggestion was to use System Def iMacPro 1,1 which only has a dGPU (Radeon) and Xenon processor I believe. But not sure I feel that's a wise choice sine my CPU is Intel i7-2700K. Not sure if this will cause conflict. Can anyone advise on this please? Thank you!

@mutatio
I tagged you because our systems are very similar and you are running Mojave on your Legacy system. I would appreciate yours and any one else's help here... I'm close.

Sorry to sound desperate, but I've been working on this machine for weeks and I still can't get there.... I've been reading and reading, and trying things... One SSD (my clone) died suddenly, so I only have my main SSD that I tried to update to High Sierra and that failed... So I'm having to start from scratch with a new SSD and hope I can salvage my apps from the other disk once I get this new one working... painful enough. Please help.

My profile hardware is correct.

New SSD Samsung 860 EVO 500gb
Unibeast Mojave
Install went fine

First boot with USB as boot device but booting into SSD I got the common IOConsoleUsers: ... etc. Which leads me to believe graphics issue.

I CAN boot from USB to the SSD in Safe Mode (-x boot arg). I was able to "set up my Mac" by doing this. But system is a bit unstable and I can't run Multibeast or mount EFI to edit config or add drivers and kexts.

Running Legacy AWARD BIOS F10.
Have BIOS set up per instructions as I've had this hardware running El Capitan for years.

Ungraded GFX card from HD 6870 to the RX580.

In order to see BIOS I have a DVI 20" Apple Cinema plugged into On Board (HD3000)
In BIOS I have Init Display First "On Board."

The RX580 is installed, but no monitor plugged in. I did try with one monitor to On Board (DVI) and one monitor to RX580 (Display Port)
The on board would show BIOS, verbose mode, and install while the other screen did activate but was just gray.

When I booted in Safe Mode, I was able to take the DVI from on board and use a DVI to DP adapter and a second monitor with DVI to DP adapter to the RX580 and I would have two screens, but safe mode so no acceleration. Display preferences would show a third monitor (on board).

But I can't Boot to the desktop without safe mode. Even using USB to boot Clover and then selecting SSD to boot.

I have read that HD3000 is not supported in Mojave. So I'm thinking I need to negate HD3000 (which is totally fine), but then how would I see or get to BIOS if I needed to?

I can set Init Display First to PCIe, but what if I still can't boot?
Will I still be able to plug a monitor into the On Board DVI port and see post?

I'm afraid to set to PCIe and not be able to go back...

If I do PCIe first, will post and Clover boot screen show up through the RX580?

I also read in one thread where someone had to remove the GFX card completely and use IGPU to complete the install, boot from SSD and run Multibeast.... Then boot from SSD to make sure they could boot without USB plugged in... Then re-install GFX card and try to boot. But this was with an Nvidia card... so not sure that will work... Don't want to keep messing with hardware unless I need to.

Anyone got some clue for my hardware how to get this going?

Last edited:
My thought is that this has something to do with the new formatting file system APFS.

Did you do a clean install of Mojave? Did you use Unibeast?
I'm not too familiar with your hardware, but if you created a USB with Unibeast and did a clean install to a new drive then an EFi partition should have been created.

I've got my new Mojave install going, but ONlY when booting with the USB installer. My SSD shows up in Clover Boot Menu when booting from USB. I can then select my SSD (Mojave) and get to desktop. Still only with IGFX (HD3000, which technically is not supported in Mojave, so I do notice artifacts, but system seems stable. I will work on switching to the RX580 GFX card after I can boot straight from my SSD without the USB. But whenever I select my SSD as the boot disk in BIOS, my SSD doesn't show up in Clover boot menu. It's driving me insane.

I've read many threads with this issue and have tried the more common solutions that works for many, but not for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back