Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Z390 Prime
CPU
i9-9900
Graphics
RX 580
Hey,

I thought I should try and dual boot with Ubuntu as a backup but it totally screwed things up and now computer will only launch Ubuntu. Have tried switching boot drive, have even tried the usb with my big sur efi but that just show the apple logo now and refuse to move on.

Could it be that Ubuntu somehow overwrote my open core boot and is there a way to restore it?

The weird thing is, if I chose the drive that has osx, and start, it says something about ubuntu boot is missing and it creates it so if I choose the osx drive it still launch ubuntu.

The weird thing is it seem to have killed my way of installing big sur as well. Have a big sur usb with efi and another drive with big sur install and they wont load either. Just hang on the apple now. :/

now computer will only launch Ubuntu. Have tried switching boot drive, have even tried the usb with my big sur efi but that just show the apple logo now and refuse to move on.
Have tried switching boot drive, have even tried the usb with my big sur efi but that just show the apple logo now and refuse to move on.
Have a big sur usb with efi and another drive with big sur install and they wont load either. Just hang on the apple now. :/
These all seem like the same problem which is you can't start your working OpenCore installation. You might want to try the procedure below as a temporary work around if you have a spare flash drive.

Copy EFI\OC\Tools\OpenShell.efi to an empty USB drive then rename and place in EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.efi. Boot your system from that USB drive and start OpenCore - on the internal EFI partition - from the prompt manually: FS0:\EFI\OC\OpenCore.efi. If macOS loads successfully you may want to look at using the LauncherOption feature which is intended to prevent this situation. See the Dortania link below for info.

You might also want to check if the contents of your BigSur EFI USB drive is current or an older version. You can try to access your current EFI partition from Ubuntu under \boot\efi\EFI and maybe copy the OC files from the hard disk to the USB to make sure you have the ones that previously worked. Alternatively, if Ubuntu replaced the \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.efi from OC with GRUB and that's how you were booting (can't say for sure at this point) you could try restoring the one from your current version of OpenCore. There's a few ideas at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back