Contribute
Register

How to fix Corrupt Gigabyte BIOS ? (Mojave).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
CPU
i5-3570K
Graphics
HD 3000
Hello. I have an existing machine that has been working well for years via Clover, until now. Below please find the description of the issue, what I have done so far and my system info. Any help is appreciated!

ISSUE
I left my machine on overnight. The next day it was not on (or something odd).
- When I booted up I get a message my bios was corrupt. :sick:
- The system did whatever it does to restore the bios.
- Then, I got the Boot Media / press a key error
--- Pressing the key repeats the error
--- Pressing F12 shows me the boot drive in the screenshot, but selecting the drive gives me the same error
- I have no idea where my original USB boot drive is. Will I need one to fix even though the machine was set up and working?
drive.jpg

WHAT I DID
- I looked up my original instructions to set up the bios (TonyMac Link: post here) and follow the bios settings there (images attached). Reboot.
--- I wonder if these settings need to be different b/c I already have a system that has been set up.
- Despite that, I still get the boot error.
- Search for other peoples solutions
--- I disconnected all drives, except the boot drive. Tried the bios settings again. Same error.

Any ideas? Any help would be appreciated. I use this machine to make music and I'd love to get back to work. :)

ALSO
- I have no VT-d settings in my bios
- I have no OS TYPE setting in my bios
- I don't see any CFG-LOCK or Secure Boot Mode settings

System info (also in my sig):
MB: Gigabyte GA-Z77x-UP5-TH
CPU: i7 3770K
Graphics: Intel HD 400
Bios Version: F4

Attachments

• periph.jpg
    periph.jpg
    955.9 KB · Views: 67
  • periph1.jpg
    periph1.jpg
    691.5 KB · Views: 61
  • power.jpg
    power.jpg
    768 KB · Views: 62
  • boot.jpg
    boot.jpg
    520.5 KB · Views: 64
Bios Version: F4
Looks like there are many more BIOS versions available. Goes up to F12. I would flash at least F11 and see what difference that might make. A BIOS can become corrupt over time. Re-flashing can fix that. I would also suggest a switch to OpenCore boot loader if you have the time to learn that process.

Screen Shot 5.jpg

Screen Shot 3.jpg

The system did whatever it does to restore the bios.
Most all Gigabyte boards have what is called Dual BIOS. So it sounds like it reverted back to the still good backup BIOS (F4). You definitely want to be on a newer version as F12 is the newest available.

Last edited:
Looks like there are many more BIOS versions available. Goes up to F12. I would flash at least F11 and see what difference that might make. A BIOS can become corrupt over time. Re-flashing can fix that. I would also suggest a switch to OpenCore boot loader if you have the time to learn that process.

View attachment 547187
View attachment 547186

I like to learn. I'll figure out how to reflash and upgrade the bios. I am happy to learn about OpenCore as well.

View attachment 547187
View attachment 547186
Oh...
What would be the reason to switch to OpenCore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back