Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MacBook Pro
CPU
?
Graphics
?
Not just a hopeless optimist but a total newbie with questions. So have a 2009 iMac running El Capitan and a 2009 MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard, both Intel. I'd love to upgrade them, especially as they both in great condition and have a lot a lot of useful life left, not to mention unused memory! Is there anything I can do to upgrade them to Mojave? I suspect the answer is no but I have to ask. Thanks!
Rebecca

Here's my MacBook Pro spec:
Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP31.0070.B07
SMC Version (system): 1.16f11
Serial Number (system): W87472YLXAG
Hardware UUID: 000

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Upgrade the MBP to El Capitan and the iMac to Sierra or High Sierra and keep using them as long as you can.

What is the reason that you want Mojave instead of trying the updates that are supported ?

macOS Sierra requires at least 2 GB of RAM and 8 GB of storage space and will run on:
  • iMac: Late 2009 or newer.
  • MacBook and MacBook 12-inch: Late 2009 or newer.
  • MacBook Pro: Mid 2010 or newer.
Here's the links to download El Capitan and High Sierra if you don't have them already.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/buyersgu...-the-ultimate-buyers-guide/#Operating_Systems

Last edited:
Motherboard
MacBook Pro
CPU
?
Graphics
?
Upgrade the MBP to El Capitan and the iMac to Sierra or High Sierra and keep using them as long as you can.

What is the reason that you want Mojave instead of trying the updates that are supported ?

macOS Sierra requires at least 2 GB of RAM and 8 GB of storage space and will run on:
  • iMac: Late 2009 or newer.
  • MacBook and MacBook 12-inch: Late 2009 or newer.
  • MacBook Pro: Mid 2010 or newer.
Here's the links to download El Capitan and High Sierra if you don't have them already.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/buyersgu...-the-ultimate-buyers-guide/#Operating_Systems

Neither of them qualify for further upgrades. Both the 15" MacBook Pro and the iMac are mid 2009. I'm a photographer and some software that I need is already not optimal on Sierra. I got the MacBook Pro from someone who loaded it up and was going to use it for video editing but didn't, and it's still relatively fast. I gathered from what I have read elsewhere that neither of these can be upgraded further. Maybe I missed something?

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Neither of them qualify for further upgrades.

Why would a 2009 Macbook Pro running Snow Leopard not qualify for any updates ?

I'm a photographer and some software that I need is already not optimal on Sierra.
Then why would Mojave be any better in this situation ?

Motherboard
MacBook Pro
CPU
?
Graphics
?
Why would a 2009 Macbook Pro running Snow Leopard not qualify for any updates ?

Then why would Mojave be any better in this situation ?

reply to your first question - because I seem to be either misinformed or simply didn't read far enough. I know there seemed to be a good reason at the time - I thought I couldn't get Mavericks for the MacBook Pro when it came out and so I thought that was the end of the story for. I'll try upgrading the OS later this week when I have some time off work. I should add that I was running Leopard until last year when I got a disc with Snow Leopard and loaded from that. Yes, I'm very slow with upgrades because I have found that I lost access to expensive paid packages of stuff from Adobe in the past and I'm fed up with playing the game - upgrade software, upgrade hardware .... And then there's the 'oh, dear, we have problems with the new versions' and wait for them to fix them.

I already find that I am limited in which version of Lightroom in Adobe Creative Cloud is available to me on El Capitan. The newer one is not supported. Bottom line is that that's the reason I wanted the latest OS on both :) I also tried to get Apple's Pages installed on the iMac running El Capitan yesterday and it is also unsupported and needs a later OS.

Last edited:
Motherboard
MacBook Pro
CPU
?
Graphics
?
By the way, I just had a quick look at the MBP. It's running Snow Leopard but not the latest update and no App Store. I'm running a backup before I leave for work soon and might get time to see what I can upgrade on it tomorrow morning. Thanks for trying to help me.

Motherboard
MacBook Pro
CPU
?
Graphics
?
On further investigation, I get, 'Safari can't open the page' to this site on the MBP. I've been sending stuff from my iPad Pro via gmail to the MBP to try and get to your link but no go. I found an update to 10.6.8 which might help so I'll see what happens tomorrow with that.

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
On further investigation, I get, 'Safari can't open the page' to this site on the MBP. I've been sending stuff from my iPad Pro via gmail to the MBP to try and get to your link but no go. Do you have any other ideas?
Create a USB installer on your iMac and use that to update the MBP.

Motherboard
MacBook Pro
CPU
?
Graphics
?
image.jpeg
Thanks. That's a brilliant idea! By the way, I love your avatar. The small one of those was my first Mac. I shipped it over the the US when I left the UK 12 years ago and it still worked fine but it needs repair, (I shorted it putting the wrong headphone in somehow) A few years ago I got a 20" one and use that to play my UK DVDs sometimes. I have no idea how far that can be updated. I have another MBP around that a computer repair company fried when they changed a noisy fan out. Yep, a totally unusable piece of kit now. Thank God I backed it up before I sent it to them. They had great reviews on Yelp but the guy in there must have had an off day. They tried to fix it and gave up. I don't think they tried very hard given their attitude when I collected it.

In addition I have a 2006 G5 which has a fast fan and a red light on after a 1000 mile house move 6 years ago, in spite of careful packing in it's original box, and I can't get past that. I'd love to get some photos off that and get it working again. I have a MacBook (the white one) with a blue screen that I can't get past but I'd love to get some photos off. I also got a G5 about 2 years ago, around the same age as my original one from what I was told, that some clever person installed Yosemite on and appears to have partitioned the hard drive - is that the correct term? See photo. He told me probably best not to upgrade further on that one. Do you have any ideas about whether I can get any improvements on the old tech I have mentioned? Sorry if I'm a nuisance but I really appreciate finding people who can give advice. I loathe the idea of chucking away my old computers. Somehow, the thought of going to an Apple Store and asking if they can fix things that many of the staff won't even have seen in their young lives seems pointless and probably expensive, assuming they they get past laughing and even consider the idea.

Last edited:

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Do you have any ideas about whether I can get any improvements on the old tech I have mentioned?

You could look into making a "CloudReady" USB driver and boot into that from USB. How far back support goes, I have no idea.
https://www.neverware.com/freedownload/ you'll have to do some research. If you can boot it on an older Intel based Mac you can easily retrieve any files on that Mac.

For the older PowerPC systems you could try removing the HDDs and adapt them to USB and then connect them to a working mac the recover data.

Status
Not open for further replies.