Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare-OC
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX Vega 64
My hack has been pretty good for the last 5 years, but now when I step away for a few minutes, it's been taking a very long time to "wake up" and kick back into gear.

Even if my computer isn't asleep, it'll be completely unresponsive (except for mouse movement) for 15-30 seconds, and then it'll start to catch up and do all the things I had asked it to do. Activity Monitor is pretty interesting during the catch up (it starts to update very quickly) but it has shown no potential culprits - it's usually showing only a small CPU load since it was idling.

It only ever happens when I'm away for my computer for a minute (the longer I'm away the more likely it is to happen), and I can't say it happens 100% of the time but it's up to several times a day.

My only hunch is that while my CPU idles at 33ºC (according to the BIOS), it shows idling at around 100ºC in iStat, so maybe there's a broken sensor or something that is causing my CPU to throttle. That said, it has NEVER slowed down when I'm producing music (high CPU load) or during stress tests/benchmarks, and I get good results. Like I said above, It only ever happens when I'm away for my computer for at least a minute or two.

Some kind of energy saving maybe? I have "Put hard disks to sleep if possible" disabled, and I'm running on an SSD anyway.

Anyway, thanks in advance!

Last edited:
After a week of testing, I'm fairly confident this worked! I'm amazed. Thank you @P1LGRIM!

For anyone else who comes here, below is the post I followed, but it couldn't hurt to go to the thread and read a few pages:

There is a simple fix to the lags/hangs after 5 minutes of idle. Simply disable the offending mediaanalysisd which is part of Apple's video processing framework. Photos will just work fine, you'll only miss some metadata on videos, but it's not a big deal.

Enter the following command in Terminal:

sudo rm /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.mediaanalysisd.plist

and then log out/in. Problem solved. :)

If you prefer more elegant solutions, you can use the launchctl unload command instead of the simple delete. For a comlete peace of mind, you can also disable photoanalysisd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back