Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Air
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I just built my Yosemite Hackintosh on a GA-Z97X-SLI mobo.

I have a SSD as primary drive and will add a simple hdd for bulk data.

The SSD has two partitions, the first one for mac, the second for win (plus the ususal 200MB EFI and a 600MB between the two) partition scheme ist GPT.

MacOS is running fine, simple install with multibeast got everything working. I'm using chameleon as a bootloader.

Now I want to add Windows 7 (Ultimate, got it from my university) to the second partition. But: The windows installer complains that the disk is in GPT format and won't let me format or select a partition.

What do I need to do? Make it a hybrid disk? Will that wreck my chameleon install?

I just built my Yosemite Hackintosh on a GA-Z97X-SLI mobo.

I have a SSD as primary drive and will add a simple hdd for bulk data.

The SSD has two partitions, the first one for mac, the second for win (plus the ususal 200MB EFI and a 600MB between the two) partition scheme ist GPT.

MacOS is running fine, simple install with multibeast got everything working. I'm using chameleon as a bootloader.

Now I want to add Windows 7 (Ultimate, got it from my university) to the second partition. But: The windows installer complains that the disk is in GPT format and won't let me format or select a partition.

What do I need to do? Make it a hybrid disk? Will that wreck my chameleon install?

http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/96000-guide-dual-booting-mountain-lion-windows-8-a.html

OK, so I have to get a hybrid partition scheme.

It seems from the thread you linked that i can
- either use gptsync from a linux live CD
- format the partition I want to put Windows in as FAT32 - most probably from Unibeast. I think I put in a second HFS partition by mistake, and later formatted it with NTFS (using Tuxera).
Is that still possible now or does disk utility only create the MBR when I partition?
- use gdisk (gpt fdisk) to create a hybrid MBR

I'll try these and report back.

OK, so I have to get a hybrid partition scheme.

It seems from the thread you linked that i can
- either use gptsync from a linux live CD
- format the partition I want to put Windows in as FAT32 - most probably from Unibeast. I think I put in a second HFS partition by mistake, and later formatted it with NTFS (using Tuxera).
Is that still possible now or does disk utility only create the MBR when I partition?
- use gdisk (gpt fdisk) to create a hybrid MBR

I'll try these and report back.

Unibeast has no disk partitioning facilities. It is just a tool used to create an installer USB.

Disk Utility will create a hybrid if you create any MS-DOS partitions. It does so because it is a requirement to use BootCamp on real Macs.

Unibeast has no disk partitioning facilities. It is just a tool used to create an installer USB.

Yes of course. What I meant was: My Unibeast-created installation USB drive. That contains Disk Utility. And can run gdisk when you copy it over.

What I did wrong was: I created a NTFS partition as the second partition, causing Disk Utility not to write a MBR.

I used gdisk (http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/) to create a MBR from my GPT, using the terminal from the install disk.

After that: No Problems anymore!

Thank you very much, RehabMan! (and sorry for taking so long)

What I did wrong was: I created a NTFS partition as the second partition, causing Disk Utility not to write a MBR.

Actually, in the case of creating an NTFS partition with Disk Utility, it *will* create a hybrid MBR/GPT. It has to as real Macs using bootcamp need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back