Graphics
Radeon 6870
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello. I just made a new UniBeast USB with the updated mac app store download. Installation goes smoothly, as does multibeast and kext beast (for my modified graphics kext). However, when i reboot with -f and -v i see the computer load everything as expected only to get to the end and display the apple splash screen? This isn't normal is it? I though i should see an error if it wasn't going to boot, not the apple splash screen?

Perhaps worth noting: the apple splash screen appears to be the "correct" resolution, i have never had this before. Usually the apple logo is bigger and out of proportion. Dont get me wrong, i prefer it "correct" lol. I just need to get into the system now!

Any help or suggestions are appreciated
Thanks

I just tried booting normally and i get the large stretched apple logo with the spinning wheel. After a few seconds it changes to the high res splash screen and the wheel disappears, it stops here.

i have also tried booting with "npci=0x2000", and "PCIRootUID=1", both dont seem to help.

i dont understand why i get the splash screen after booting with -v. I've run into a whole bunch of different problems in the past, but I've never had this happen. is there a known solution?

Can i also ask what the point of the rBoot disk is? it doest allow me to boot into the installation and i have the latest version (1.1.0). as far as i can tell it's useless.

Thanks

it seems a lot of people have seen this but still no replies. if i need to give more info please say.

If it's still crapping out when using different boot methods (the unibeast stick, hard drive, etc.) then I would go over in to single user mode, or boot up the unibeast install and don't install, just go to Utilities, terminal, then navigate to your hard drive installation in terminal and remove the graphics kext to see if that fixes the problem.

Also, if you have a kext for your video card, did you setup to not use graphics enabler as well? Try to boot from the hard drive, but with GraphisEnabler=No (I would try this first before removing any kext..)

iGee said:
I just tried booting normally and i get the large stretched apple logo with the spinning wheel. After a few seconds it changes to the high res splash screen and the wheel disappears, it stops here.

i have also tried booting with "npci=0x2000", and "PCIRootUID=1", both dont seem to help.

i dont understand why i get the splash screen after booting with -v. I've run into a whole bunch of different problems in the past, but I've never had this happen. is there a known solution?

Can i also ask what the point of the rBoot disk is? it doest allow me to boot into the installation and i have the latest version (1.1.0). as far as i can tell it's useless.

Thanks

Also, use GraphicsEnabler=no spelled correctly, not like I had it :)

haha. Thanks for the reply thefredelement. I was able to successfully boot with "GraphicsEnabler=NO". However, now i cant change the resolution in the displays preferences, can i fix this? On every install i have done before i have had "GraphicsEnabler=Yes" in the boot.plist as default and had no problems.

it seems the goal posts get moved every time i try to do an install. GraphicsEnabler is just one example of this. previously iv'e also required the PCIRootUID=1, but now i dont have it and my machine is booting fine.

im grateful for solutions people give me to get things running, but it would be nice if people could also explain why im doing it.

If I were you I would remove the Kext that you installed for your video card, it's conflicting with graphics enabler, then after you remove the kext boot with GraphicsEnabler=yes (which sounds like your default) so only that boot flag will be handling your graphics.

Overall it sounds like the kext you have for the video card isn't doing you any favors.

iGee said:
haha. Thanks for the reply thefredelement. I was able to successfully boot with "GraphicsEnabler=NO". However, now i cant change the resolution in the displays preferences, can i fix this? On every install i have done before i have had "GraphicsEnabler=Yes" in the boot.plist as default and had no problems.

it seems the goal posts get moved every time i try to do an install. GraphicsEnabler is just one example of this. previously iv'e also required the PCIRootUID=1, but now i dont have it and my machine is booting fine.

im grateful for solutions people give me to get things running, but it would be nice if people could also explain why im doing it.

thanks again :)

a few installations back (lol) i just edited a kext to get my graphics working. then on a different installation that stopped working and i had to use a completely different kext (well the kext was the same but at least the .plist inside was completely different). so i guess im going to try the old old method again now.

this is what i mean about the goal posts moving. the hardware hasn't changed, i dont get it.

I would rename the goal post "graphics" and then you can leave them there :)

I'm not sure what GraphicsEnabler does actually, I just know you can't use that and any other method to get your card initialized on boot, I was using a kext before as well, actually I don't think I ever even booted without a graphics kext but when I went with a clean 10.7.3 install I went with GraphicsEnabler and it's been good for me. (properly ID'd with support for different resolutions)

iGee said:
thanks again :)

a few installations back (lol) i just edited a kext to get my graphics working. then on a different installation that stopped working and i had to use a completely different kext (well the kext was the same but at least the .plist inside was completely different). so i guess im going to try the old old method again now.

this is what i mean about the goal posts moving. the hardware hasn't changed, i dont get it.

I'm not able to choose a resolution with either "Yes" or "No"? I added my device ID (10de:10c3) to the plist like this...

10de:10c3
0x00f010de&0xfff0ffff
0x019010de&0xfff0ffff
0x040010de&0xfff0ffff
0x042010de&0xfff0ffff
0x05e010de&0xfff8ffff
0x05f010de&0xfff0ffff
0x060010de&0xffe0ffff
0x062010de&0xffe0ffff
0x064010de&0xffe0ffff
0x06e010de&0xfff0ffff
0x086010de&0xffe0ffff
0x08a010de&0xffe0ffff
0x0a2010de&0xffa0ffff
0x0ca010de&0xffe0ffff
0x10c310de&0xffe0ffff
0x0be310de&0xffe0ffff

But it doesn't seem to wanna work. do you have any suggestions?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back