Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390X Ultra
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. iMac
Over the last few days I have tried several times to get Mojave installed on my new Desktop. My motherboard is the Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wifi. i7-9700k processor. SSD is the Samsung 850 EVO. This is my second Hackintosh build, I had a machine running Sierra for a couple years. But I wanted to update and move over to an AMD GPU. Here's my tale of woe:

I use Unibeast to create a USB boot disk, which works as expected. I run the installer, choose my SSD to install Mojave. Then I boot the install program on the SSD. This usually fails and reboots the machine 2 times, and then installs correctly on the third try.

Now I have Mojave up and running by booting through the USB's Clover, then boot into Mojave on my SSD. Runs great, boots fast. I can restart and shut down and boot back into Mojave while using the USB drive's EFI.

Then I use Clover Configurator to mount the SSD's EFI partition and I copy my EFI folder contents from the USB onto the SSD. This should be the last major step and I'm home free.

I eject the USB and restart the Mac. Clover boots up as expected from the SSD. I choose to boot Mojave from my SSD and --- the Apple logo appears for a split second, then gets replaced by the dreaded "PROHIBITED SIGN". I scream.

If I boot it in verbose mode, I get this:
IMG_20191012_103435.jpg

Which doesn't give me a proper Error number to look up, so I have been having a hard time researching exactly what's happening. If I try booting in "Safe Mode" and verbose, I get a slightly different error message.

IMG_20191012_103914.jpg

When I get to this point, I assume the problem has something to do with the fact that the EFI is now on the SSD. So I plug in the USB and boot into the USB's EFI partition and go from there. And guess what. Prohibited Sign. No matter what.

I have got to this point four times now. Reformated the SSD, Re-installed Mojave, tried to make minor changes to the EFI, and then moved it over onto the SSD. And I get Prohibited every time.

Any clues from any of you Hackintosh geniuses out there?

A little update here. I made some changes to the SMBIOS information and now Mojave boots. Sometimes.

And sometimes it doesn't. After a restart last night, I got the prohibited sign. This morning, booted quickly and flawlessly. So at this point at least I can get onto the computer and work from the inside. But the above issue still happens, so there is definitely something wrong with my EFI configurations that is causing this.

For me a computer that "sometimes" won't boot is about as helpful as an old iPad I borrowed from my mom to watch reruns of The Office in bed because I'm too lazy to get up and sit in front of the TV. So I'll keep troubleshooting and try to figure this beast out.

Last edited:
A little update here. I made some changes to the SMBIOS information and now Mojave boots. Sometimes.

And sometimes it doesn't. After a restart last night, I got the prohibited sign. This morning, booted quickly and flawlessly. So at this point at least I can get onto the computer and work from the inside. But the above issue still happens, so there is definitely something wrong with my EFI configurations that is causing this.

For me a computer that "sometimes" won't boot is about as helpful as an old iPad I borrowed from my mom to watch reruns of The Office in bed because I'm too lazy to get up and sit in front of the TV. So I'll keep troubleshooting and try to figure this beast out.
[/QUOTHi Alvin did you get this sorted as I have very similar problem. On most times I succeed in around 1 in 3 reboots. Just doesn't make sense to me

Any luck? I have a similar problem.
  • Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 64 8GB HBM2 HDMI
  • GIGABYTE Z390 Designare motherboard
  • Intel Core i9-9900K Desktop Processor 8 Cores 3.6GHz
  • Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Black, Dual-Tower CPU Cooler
  • CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX64GB (2X 32GB) DDR4 3600 (PC4-28800) C181.35V Desktop Memory
  • 1- SAMSUNG E 500GB 970EVO+NVME M.2 SSD
  • 1- SAMSUNG E 1TB 970EVO+NVME M.2 SSD
Recently I can't boot at all. I was typically able to reinstall Mojave and boot one time from the USB. Then if I tried booting from the SSD it would work once. And I could run Mojave for a week without shutting down the computer. If I shut down and try booting from the SSD I get the Apple logo for a moment then prohibited symbol.
As of yesterday I tried the advice of someone who said to go into Disk Utility and create a small (200MB) partition on the boot SSD and name it EFI, formatted as MSDos (Fat). Copy the EFI from the USB to that partiton and I should be able to boot from it.
I've tried installing Mojave 3 times from the USB and no matter what I do, boot from the USB several times and it keeps coming back to the bootloader screen, never a boot into desktop. I tried booting from the SSD and every time I get the prohibited symbol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back