Contribute
Register

help GA-X58A-UD3R rev 2.0 Catalina? or whats the newest OS I can run?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJG

Motherboard
GA-X58A-UD3R v2.0
CPU
intel i7
Graphics
GTX670
Hi guys! I got a GA-X58A-UD3R rev 2.0 intel i7 3.1, 12GB of memory and a Nvidia gtx 670 Its a workhorse and its been great for editing video with Premiere and editing photos on Photoshop and Lightroom but since we are in quarantine i think I have the time to upgrade my OS so my question is can this old system be upgraded to something newer and stay stable for my editing needs? whats the newest os you guys have with this motherboard and videocard combination? what bios are you guys using?
thank you in advanced for all your help!

Your Socket 1366 system will run Catalina 10.15.4 perfectly. See my guide here for installing Catalina on a Socket 1156 system. Google is your friend - you're not the first to install macOS with your motherboard and you should find lots of help.

Last edited:
Reactions: JJG
Your Socket 1155 system will run Catalina 10.15.4 perfectly. See my guide here for installing Catalina on a Socket 1156 system. Google is your friend - you're not the first to install macOS with your motherboard and you should find lots of help.

The OP's system is based on a socket 1366 motherboard (X58), not 1155 / 1156.

But it should still be able to run Catalina if the graphics card is supported.

Personally, however, I would avoid Catalina and run High Sierra or Mojave at this time.

Mojave or Catalina cannot be downloaded from the app store if your system definition is MacPro5,1 or earlier. MacPro6,1 (the desktop trashcan) or later is supported.
You can change your system definition to something that is supported to download the app. If you want to still use the MacPro system definition you will need additional patches in the config.plist.

If you want to still use the MacPro system definition you will need additional patches in the config.plist.

If by "additional patches" you mean adding boot-arg "-no_compat_check" then you're correct (assuming you get a compatible graphics card). That's all you need for the HackPro5,1 to run Catalina 10.15.4.

I am extremely pleased with the way Catalina 10.15.4 runs on my HackPro5,1. Performance is outstanding. I use my rig for XCode and Visual Studio/Xamarin development and I have MS Office installed and working perfectly. I can't comment on functionality outside of that, but it appears to me that this hack doesn't know it's a hack.

Last edited:
The OP's system is based on a socket 1366 motherboard (X58), not 1155 / 1156.

Thanks! I corrected my original post.

So guys should i go for high sierra o catalina? this week i will have lots of time so i can try to get my hackintosh a new life!
I got a macbookpro with sierra that i can use to download from the mac store and create a usb, i'll get the laptop tomorrow and see what systems i can download form the mac store. anything else that ? should have ready so things go smoothly?
what BIOS should i have on my machine?
Thanks guys!!!!

Just upgraded X58 Rampage Gene III GTX 670 from Yosemite to Catalina. Replaced config plist in the EFI folder of Unibeast with the attached (except I changed SMBIOS to iMac 14,2 to avoid issues during install).
After install replace Imac14,2 by MacPro 5,1 and add -no_compat_check bootflag.

Attachments

• config.plist
    4 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
So guys should i go for high sierra o catalina? this week i will have lots of time so i can try to get my hackintosh a new life!
I got a macbookpro with sierra that i can use to download from the mac store and create a usb, i'll get the laptop tomorrow and see what systems i can download form the mac store. anything else that ? should have ready so things go smoothly?
what BIOS should i have on my machine?
Thanks guys!!!!
Go for High Sierra.
The BIOS you have loaded will work as well with Sierra as it does with earlier versions - no need to flash it.

update: I tried going for Catalina and it didn't work, it kept hanging on install, this weekend i'll try high sierra and let you guys know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back