Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Dear All,

I am a beginner to hacktonich, and want a fresh install of catalina on my old PC.
I found a usefull post to guide me: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...3p-i7-6700k-sapphire-pulse-rx-580-8gb.285356/
And for this I bought a new Radeon RX 580 to replace my original GTX 1070. but until I start the installation I begin to find my original motherboard is Asus Z170p, not Gigabyte Z170 as used in @CeeeWeee 's post.
Does this mean that I can not use his config.plist, Clover, kexts, and EFI ?
The two motherboards are based on the same Z170 chip, but the brands and configaration are different.
I searched the key word "Asus Z170" in the site, and got some very old posts that are based on Sierra OS or Yosemite OS or OS even older.
I am desperated and don't know how to hack.

BTW, I have a WIN10 OS in this PC. I bought a new sata3 disk to install the new mac Catalina OS, I want both of the two OS can be exsit and I can make a choice when I start the computor. Anyone can instuct how to achieve this?

Many thanks for your help!

Ryan

Did you try it yet? I haven't looked at the different specs of the board, but It should work in some capacity. There is a possibility it has a different network chip, audio chip, etc that you might need sort out later. The worst thing that can happen is that the config file doesn't boot.

as far as dual booting windows goes, Using a separate disk is your best bet. I would disconnect the windows disk until you get macOS working just so you don't take any chances formatting the wrong disk. Afterwards, you should be able to have Clover recognize your Windows installation so that you can select it on boot.

Lastly, if your board happens to be a Gigabyte z170m-d3h, You can use my EFI folder with USB working and all. I updated the important kexts and refreshed the serial number so it should be unique for you. I used this system for 4 years so I got it pretty stable.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    23.7 MB · Views: 533
Last edited:
Did you try it yet? I haven't looked at the different specs of the board, but It should work in some capacity. There is a possibility it has a different network chip, audio chip, etc that you might need sort out later. The worst thing that can happen is that the config file doesn't boot.
Nope, I have not try yet because I am not sure the clover EFI config is correct.

I have Asus z170p motherbroad + i7-6700k CPU + RX580 + Samsung 860 EUV 1T disk.

Thank you for your help

Dear All,

I am a beginner to hacktonich, and want a fresh install of catalina on my old PC.
I found a usefull post to guide me: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...3p-i7-6700k-sapphire-pulse-rx-580-8gb.285356/
And for this I bought a new Radeon RX 580 to replace my original GTX 1070. but until I start the installation I begin to find my original motherboard is Asus Z170p, not Gigabyte Z170 as used in @CeeeWeee 's post.
Does this mean that I can not use his config.plist, Clover, kexts, and EFI ?
The two motherboards are based on the same Z170 chip, but the brands and configaration are different.
I searched the key word "Asus Z170" in the site, and got some very old posts that are based on Sierra OS or Yosemite OS or OS even older.
I am desperated and don't know how to hack.

BTW, I have a WIN10 OS in this PC. I bought a new sata3 disk to install the new mac Catalina OS, I want both of the two OS can be exsit and I can make a choice when I start the computor. Anyone can instuct how to achieve this?

Many thanks for your help!

Ryan

@nizad
@AlfieCode
@ABaller
@gts_215i
@urpwsvr
@ABaller
@urpwsvr
@markoskz

@beelzebozo

Nope, I have not try yet because I am not sure the clover EFI config is correct.

I have Asus z170p motherbroad + i7-6700k CPU + RX580 + Samsung 860 EUV 1T disk.

Thank you for your help

sorry I misread your post. I'd say what you found is a good starting point and you should dive in. See if you can boot the installer with that config.

Am interested in that topic as well. Am gonna try your CLOVER config and see how it works.

I have a H170N motherboard and I have just upgraded from Mojave to Catalina. These two posts helped me as I had lots of issues as things get a bit more complicated for older motherboards. This first post talks about the five kext you need, only use these 5 nothing else, delete the rest.

AppleALC,FakeSMC, Lilu, USBInjectAll & WhateverGreen

Here is another post that has the full installation process. Try the below method with the 5 kext that are listed in the above post. Should help.

If you get stuck just search for "Catalina Z170P" and you will then get more posts from people who have had success. That is how I found the above 2 posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back