CPU
TBC
Graphics
TBC
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
For some reason I don't understand I have always been fascinated with the idea of building a Hackintosh. I am currently using an elderly (late 2012) iMac and the idea of going to the Apple store and sheeling out many ££££s (I am based in the UK) for a replacement doesn't appeal. I have looked at the component lists for the different builds but it is quite a commitment to purchase all the kit if putting it all together is going to be beyond me. I am quite mechanically minded and can tinker with cars and cycles but I have never pulled a computer apart nor tried to put it back together again. Do I need to be scared or is it all quite simple? I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Actual assembly of a computer is quite simple if you can follow written directions. If you do not want to do the actual assembly yourself, there are many custom build shops in the UK like Computer Planet or OverclockersUK that will assist you in selecting your parts and assemble them for you for a fee. They will probably want to install an operating system to thoroughly test it out before shipping so be aware of that up front - there may be extra charges for a license key.
There are also videos about building a computer available on youtube - just search for "building a computer" and you will see many step by step videos.

Last edited:
Cheers Going Bald, your thoughts are much appreciated. I wouldn’t have easy access to one of the build shops you mention as I’m not on the mainland and, besides, it’s the idea of using some of my spare time time to put a ‘puter together that appeals. What scares me is the lack of a backstop if all else fails! Looks like I’ll have to take the plunge to find out :)

Cheers Going Bald, your thoughts are much appreciated. I wouldn’t have easy access to one of the build shops you mention as I’m not on the mainland and, besides, it’s the idea of using some of my spare time time to put a ‘puter together that appeals. What scares me is the lack of a backstop if all else fails! Looks like I’ll have to take the plunge to find out :)
Watch a few of the videos - you may find you will get enough confidence to go ahead and build one and find it is no trouble at all.

What scares me is the lack of a backstop if all else fails! Looks like I’ll have to take the plunge to find out
If you really go slow and take your time, not too much can go wrong. Follow a good step by step video that covers the electro-static precautions and shows you how to handle the parts properly.

Thanks guys. No doubt I’ll be back for advice on components! Ciao for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back