GA Z97M-D3H
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD 4600
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi everybody,

My first Hackintosh was a former Windows machine I had built with the best specs I could afford at the time. It works well, but was an adapted machine, so there are some quirks I'd like to get rid of. Now I'm trying to build a new computer sticking as close as possible to this site's Buyer's Guide regarding the CustoMac mATX.

I've managed to buy almost everything on the list, but I have two questions:

1 - I'm thinking about skipping the graphics card. I use my computer mainly for daily academic tasks (Internet, word processing etc.) and for audio recording and manipulation, which is more demanding. Will the build work well with the onboard GPU on the recommended GA-Z97M-D3H or should I really get the EVGA GT 740 SC?

2 - It's very difficult to find the Fractal Design cases in my area, so I'll be getting another one. To what specs should I pay attention? I'm especially concerned about cooling and fans.

Thanks a lot for any help you can offer.
Frederico

You'll be fine with the integrated graphics as long as you go with a CPU from the Buyer's Guide. I had a GT 740, and I thought that it wasn't worth the money as it had little power. For a case, look for how many fans come included with the case and how many it can support. Also, make sure to look for good cable management as that improves airflow. Most importantly make sure the case you choose supports mATX motherboards.

Hi everybody,

My first Hackintosh was a former Windows machine I had built with the best specs I could afford at the time. It works well, but was an adapted machine, so there are some quirks I'd like to get rid of. Now I'm trying to build a new computer sticking as close as possible to this site's Buyer's Guide regarding the CustoMac mATX.

I've managed to buy almost everything on the list, but I have two questions:

1 - I'm thinking about skipping the graphics card. I use my computer mainly for daily academic tasks (Internet, word processing etc.) and for audio recording and manipulation, which is more demanding. Will the build work well with the onboard GPU on the recommended GA-Z97M-D3H or should I really get the EVGA GT 740 SC?

2 - It's very difficult to find the Fractal Design cases in my area, so I'll be getting another one. To what specs should I pay attention? I'm especially concerned about cooling and fans.

Thanks a lot for any help you can offer.
Frederico

For your use, the onboard CPU gfx will do - no GPU needed.
For a good case, is Lian Li available? They have some nice mATX cases - http://www.lian-li.com/en/products/#152/1/list
I have the PC-V358 and it is a great case.

Help building "official" CustoMac

Thank you, guys. So I'll skip the GPU, at least for now. Makes quite a difference on the overall price here in my area...

And speaking about my area, no, the Lian Li aren't available either. I ended up buying a generic Coolmaster which looks like will be enough. One cannot say it's pretty nor very compact, but isn't on the other side of the spectrum either... :p

I'll start building the thing.

Help building "official" CustoMac

Ok, as I said, I skipped the graphics card, but now I don't know what to choose in Unibeast: Intel HD 3000, inject ATI, NVIDIA or none of them?

Sorry if it's a noob question.

Thank you!

As soon as the power supply arrives I'll finish assembling the computer and will start installing the OS.

So I finally built the computer. I would have preferred to stick with Yosemite for a while, but as I would eventually have to switch to El Cap and I wanted the simple Clover installation, I went the El Capitan route straight away.

Everything seems to be working fine except for USB 3. No devices are recognized. The system doesn't even see them, although they work in non-USB 3 ports and USB 2/1 devices work on the USB 3 ports.

I've seen in the forums that some have experienced this, but I couldn't find anyone using the same configuration as me (the "official" tonymac buyer's guide CustoMac mATX). Does anybody know what should I do to fix it?

It kind of annoys me that I tried to buy all the recommended components precisely to avoid this sort of thing... but, ok, let's try and solve the problem... Does anybody know a solution?

Thank you!

So I finally built the computer. I would have preferred to stick with Yosemite for a while, but as I would eventually have to switch to El Cap and I wanted the simple Clover installation, I went the El Capitan route straight away.

Everything seems to be working fine except for USB 3. No devices are recognized. The system doesn't even see them, although they work in non-USB 3 ports and USB 2/1 devices work on the USB 3 ports.

I've seen in the forums that some have experienced this, but I couldn't find anyone using the same configuration as me (the "official" tonymac buyer's guide CustoMac mATX). Does anybody know what should I do to fix it?

It kind of annoys me that I tried to buy all the recommended components precisely to avoid this sort of thing... but, ok, let's try and solve the problem... Does anybody know a solution?

Thank you!

You have now moved beyond Buying Advice so it's time to start a new thread in El Capitan Desktop Support.

See : http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-laptop-support/173616-guide-10-11-usb-changes-solutions.html

Please read the Rules :
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you

Thanks in anticipation

Oh, sorry about that. I'll fix it.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back