Contribute
Register

Help for a Newbi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
hp elite 3800
CPU
i5 << need model # >> See Forum Rules !!
Graphics
gt 710
I have a HP Elite 3800 sff with 16 MB of RAM, i5 CPU and is a basic unit that I got from Best Buy. I did one modification and that was to install a IcyDock trayless drive bay. This allows me to change an OS by just removing one SSD and inserting another SSD. I boot directly from these removable SSD's.

I am desiring to create a Hackintosh which would be installed on a new SSD. I have made all the changes to the BIOS and it's ready to go. Now to my problem. I have an ISO of the High Sierra and I have a download of the High Sierra downloaded from the Apple store(which is catagorized as a upgrade and is in a "dmg" file format. Despite all my efforts to find out which version of the OS to use for the install, I have come up empty and confused. I have viewed numerous tutorials and read as much as I could find but I am still lost. Question, which file version do I use; ISO or the DMG? Secondly, where and on what should I store the system file of the High Sierra that is being installed? The aforementioned guides are somewhat ambiguious so if you feel that I am going down the wrong path or I need some important information, I am open to your sugestions.

I would like to extend my appreciation and thanks for any and all help that you may extend. Once again, Thank you.

HP Elite 3800 sff with 16 MB of RAM
Do you mean 8300 SFF ? It would be impossible to run macOS on 16MB of ram. Probably not even Windows 98.

I have an ISO of the High Sierra and I have a download of the High Sierra downloaded from the Apple store(which is catagorized as a upgrade and is in a "dmg" file format. Despite all my efforts to find out which version of the OS to use for the install, I have come up empty and confused. I have viewed numerous tutorials and read as much as I could find but I am still lost.
All the tutorials here say to download the full installer, not a dmg file or an "upgrade." You need to read the guides on this site more carefully. If you are not good at details or following guides a hackintosh is probably not for you.

Since HS is removed from the Mac App Store it would be wise to use gibMacOS. Watch the video showing how to do that.

If you don't have a Mac for the download then you can use Windows instead. Follow the guide. Select High Sierra where it shows Catalina in the guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back