GTX 650Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
After running my Hackintosh for years on the nVidia platform, I recently read a post online about the performance and native support for the Radeon 7970. Considering that native support for nVidia hasn't progressed much recently, and because I found one on craigslist for $50, I decided to swap out my GTX 650Ti with the HD 7970.

Clover recognizes the card as a AMD Radeon HD 7970X/8970/R9 280X with a device ID of 0x6798 and when I use Clover's ATI Injection, the computer boots and the card behaves beautifully. I'm getting twice the performance of my 650Ti.

However, it sounds like the fan is stuck on high, and I suspect the AGPM kext isn't properly managing the GPU fan.

My Mac Identifier is set to iMac 14,2.

Can someone help me quiet my fan down?

There's no way to (manually) control the GPU fan in OS X, it should automatically work according to the profile specified in your VBIOS.
So as a first step, I'd verify in Windows if the fan is working as it should. The 7970 can be noisy, especially the reference version needs a high fan speed to keep things cool.

There's no way to (manually) control the GPU fan in OS X, it should automatically work according to the profile specified in your VBIOS.
So as a first step, I'd verify in Windows if the fan is working as it should. The 7970 can be noisy, especially the reference version needs a high fan speed to keep things cool.

Thanks for the advice. Sadly, I don't have a Windows installation to check, but it's not going to be a problem much longer since I will be switching back to nVidia chipsets. I have just learned that all Radeon cards are now having issues recovering from sleep under El Capitan and Sierra, so it's back to nVidia for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back